All Time Favourite Tigers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Posting in the Jake King thread got me thinking about all my favourite Tiger players over the years, not necessarily the best players, although many will double up in that regard.
My favourite Richmond side in positions: (No current players included)

B. M Keane D Clay S Turner
HB:T Smith R McGhie F.Bourke
C: B Wood M Rioli M Pickering
HF: J Jess R Hart J King
F: M Richardson P Guinane D Weightman
R: B Roberts M Knights K Bartlett
Int:N Balme, D Kellaway, M Mitchell, M Rogers.
Coach: Tommy of course!

Other favourites: P Sproule, K Sheedy, B Tempany, R McLean, D Palm, M Lee, M Merenda, P Bullus, G Strachan, M Roach, P Broderick, M & B Gale.

No bustling billy Barrot?

B:Greg Strachan,Scott Turner,Peter Welsh
HB:Merv keane,Jim Jess,Bruce Tempany
C:Mathew Richarson,Marice Rioli,Geoff Raines
HF:Micheal Pickering,David Cloke,Nathan Brown
F:Kevin Bartlett,Micheal Roach,Dustin Martin
R:Mark Lee,Mathew knights,Dale Weightman
I/C:Alex Rance,Francis Bourke,Tony Free.SUB-Micheal Mitchell

Clay Sampson!

I also love the night Mark Merenda rubbed his old fella in McKennas face with a reverse back with the flight screamer at the G

hall_1311.jpg

Anyone remember this bloke? haha

B: Jamie Tape - Scott Turner - Alex Rance
HB: Chris Bond - Stuart Wigney - Brett Deledio
C: Stuart Maxfield - Matthew Knights - Michael Gale
HF: Matthew Richardson - Stephen Jurica - Matty Rogers
F: Robert Powell - Stewart Edwards - Jack Riewoldt
R: Justin Charles - Dustin Martin - Trent Cotchin
I: Shane Tuck - Chris Naish - Brett Evans - Nick Daffy(Sub)

Coach: John Northey.

Edit: To include the "Birdman." Like **** he's missing out.

I like this list so much I will use it as my base!

B: Jamie Tape - Scott Turner - Duncan Kellaway
HB: Joel Bowden - Andy Kellaway - Brett Deledio
C: Stuart Maxfield - Matthew Knights - Michael Gale
HF: Matthew Richardson - Brendon Gale - Matty Rogers
F: Chris Naish - Stephen Jurica - Dustin Martin
R: Greg Dear - Mark Coughlan - Trent Cotchin
I: Shane Tuck - Paul Broderick - Marc Dragicevic - Ashley Prescott (Sub)

Coach: John Northey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a couple of left-field ones. I enjoyed these guys................

Grant Allford - came in, played a few seasons. Just a goer - but half-way through his career, they chucked him to full-back. His technique was to play in front of his man - like 25-35 metres in front. In other words, he played loose man taking intercept marks - while playing full-back. He destroyed Peter McKenna a couple of times - in the paper, McKenna admitted he didn't know what to do. It lasted about half-a-dozen or so games, and then the opposition worked out a tactic to beat Allford (I can't think what it could have been - maybe - kick it over his head?).

Mark McQueen - some may remember him - he played a few games in the early 90s as a full-forward, described as 'solid', 'chunky', 'immoveable' - (can you see where I'm going with this?). I see he's listed as playing at 95kg. HA! His left leg was 95kg. I don't think he was all that committed to managing his weight, and by the end of his career (in the reserves), his shape was basically a cube on legs. 'Immoveable' - oh, yes.

Kevin Ablett - yes, we had Abletts! Geoff was the fastest player in the league. He always won the GF sprint - while playing for Hawthorn. By the time we picked him up, his knees were gone, he was old, and he couldn't run out of sight on a dark night. So we tried Kevin - he was just crap from day 1 ( and we had such high hopes). There was another young Ablett coming up, but we knew by then they were no good, so we didn't try for him. (Now what was his name - Gavin? Garfield?).

Gareth Andrews - some may remember him as an ABC commentator later in his career. We got him from Geelong. We had a big, slow, lumpy trier that everyone loved - Rex Hunt. Just a plodder, but a great gap-filler - forward, back, ruck, wherever. Geelong had one of those as well - Gareth Andrews. The only difference was Hunt was the loud-mouth extrovert the fans loved, and Andrews was the quiet professional the fans loved. In 1974, they swapped clubs. I'm not sure why - neither were world-beaters, neither were likely to improve, and neither was better than the other - and they were exactly the same type of player. They even swapped numbers - Andrews went from 6 at Geelong to 5 at Richmond - Hunt went from 5 at Richmond to 6 at Geelong. And both became well-loved players at their new clubs.

Ty Esler - still the biggest guy I have seen play for Richmond. He's not listed as the tallest, or the heaviest. but he was the biggest. A monster. Would dominate the reserves, but couldn't cut it at senior level. Not very good..........................but a monster.

Noel Carter - 2nd rover. One of the many 2nd rovers Richmond had in KB's time. Their job was basically to stand in the forward pocket and hopefully ask KB if he wanted a rest - he never did. Billy Brown, Cameron Clayton, Darryl Cumming, Noel Carter - all had long careers basically hoping KB would do a knee and they would swing in and save the day - never happened. Noel Carter used his time standing in the forward pocket to grow an awesome mo..........

Ray Boyanich - too short to be a ruckman, too slow to be a forward. He mostly alternated between back and forward pocket (this was pre-interchange when every side played 3 big blokes - a ruckman, a resting ruckman in the forward pocket, and a 3rd big to play on the resting ruckman - eg Rex Hunt/Gareth Andrews). He was ok - he tried hard, occasionally kicked a goal, and every now and then would put the Fear of God into an opposition player. He was a frightening bugger. With him and Balmey roaming the forward line, there were plenty of short steps taken by opposition defenders................................

Sorry for the boring old man reminisces.

I posted an a
Here's a couple of left-field ones. I enjoyed these guys................

Grant Allford - came in, played a few seasons. Just a goer - but half-way through his career, they chucked him to full-back. His technique was to play in front of his man - like 25-35 metres in front. In other words, he played loose man taking intercept marks - while playing full-back. He destroyed Peter McKenna a couple of times - in the paper, McKenna admitted he didn't know what to do. It lasted about half-a-dozen or so games, and then the opposition worked out a tactic to beat Allford (I can't think what it could have been - maybe - kick it over his head?).

Mark McQueen - some may remember him - he played a few games in the early 90s as a full-forward, described as 'solid', 'chunky', 'immoveable' - (can you see where I'm going with this?). I see he's listed as playing at 95kg. HA! His left leg was 95kg. I don't think he was all that committed to managing his weight, and by the end of his career (in the reserves), his shape was basically a cube on legs. 'Immoveable' - oh, yes.

Kevin Ablett - yes, we had Abletts! Geoff was the fastest player in the league. He always won the GF sprint - while playing for Hawthorn. By the time we picked him up, his knees were gone, he was old, and he couldn't run out of sight on a dark night. So we tried Kevin - he was just crap from day 1 ( and we had such high hopes). There was another young Ablett coming up, but we knew by then they were no good, so we didn't try for him. (Now what was his name - Gavin? Garfield?).

Gareth Andrews - some may remember him as an ABC commentator later in his career. We got him from Geelong. We had a big, slow, lumpy trier that everyone loved - Rex Hunt. Just a plodder, but a great gap-filler - forward, back, ruck, wherever. Geelong had one of those as well - Gareth Andrews. The only difference was Hunt was the loud-mouth extrovert the fans loved, and Andrews was the quiet professional the fans loved. In 1974, they swapped clubs. I'm not sure why - neither were world-beaters, neither were likely to improve, and neither was better than the other - and they were exactly the same type of player. They even swapped numbers - Andrews went from 6 at Geelong to 5 at Richmond - Hunt went from 5 at Richmond to 6 at Geelong. And both became well-loved players at their new clubs.

Ty Esler - still the biggest guy I have seen play for Richmond. He's not listed as the tallest, or the heaviest. but he was the biggest. A monster. Would dominate the reserves, but couldn't cut it at senior level. Not very good..........................but a monster.

Noel Carter - 2nd rover. One of the many 2nd rovers Richmond had in KB's time. Their job was basically to stand in the forward pocket and hopefully ask KB if he wanted a rest - he never did. Billy Brown, Cameron Clayton, Darryl Cumming, Noel Carter - all had long careers basically hoping KB would do a knee and they would swing in and save the day - never happened. Noel Carter used his time standing in the forward pocket to grow an awesome mo..........

Ray Boyanich - too short to be a ruckman, too slow to be a forward. He mostly alternated between back and forward pocket (this was pre-interchange when every side played 3 big blokes - a ruckman, a resting ruckman in the forward pocket, and a 3rd big to play on the resting ruckman - eg Rex Hunt/Gareth Andrews). He was ok - he tried hard, occasionally kicked a goal, and every now and then would put the Fear of God into an opposition player. He was a frightening bugger. With him and Balmey roaming the forward line, there were plenty of short steps taken by opposition defenders................................

Sorry for the boring old man reminisces.
I remember the name Grant Allford, tall skinny with curlyish hair? Ray Boyanich, premiership player, met his daughter last year and she was stoked I remembered him, battler personified.
Remember them all, great post Wallaby.

Born in 91 so....

Chaffey - Rance - Newman
Bowden - A.Kellaway - Deledio
Knights - Coughlan - Richo
Martin - Simmonds - Rogers
N. Brown - Riewoldt - King

Maric - Cotchin - Tuck

Bench; Vickery, Krakouer, Houli, Rodan, Stafford, Foley, Ellis, Vlastuin,

This is tough, but I'll try and name by favourite team and put them in possies. Really only started watching from about 86 and didn't really know many players til 89 or 90....

FB D. Kellaway, Turner, Free
HB Lids, Rance, Tape
C: Tivendale (even though he was crap, I loved watching him!), Cotchin, Maxfield
HF: Daffy, Richo, Buck Rogers
FF: Naish, Riewoldt, N.Brown
Foll: B.Gale, Broderick, Knights
Bench: Cogs, Stafford, Bond, A.Kellaway
Coach: Swooper

Stiff: Gaspar, Morris, Des Ryan, Michael Pickering, Hogg, Lambert, Dragacevic, the Bird Man, Lambert, M.Gale and so on....

Have probably missed about 25 favourite players but ah well.... got to pick a team somewhere.

edit: crap I forgot about Tucky, Newy, Push up, Charles and Ottens (mainly in 2001)

Richo has got to be right up there.

Have a soft sport for blokes like Broderick, Rogers, Chaffey, Daffy, Bond & Kellaway et al who made up the second tier of players behind the likes of Richo, Campbell, Kinghts and Gaspar throughout my youth.

Dustin Martin
Alex Rance
Anthony Miles
Trent Cotchin - pre game plan change and 10m backwards sideways kicking
Ivan Maric
Brett Deledio - 2010 off the back flank
Dylan Grimes - pre hamstring injuries
Matt Thomas - last week in the wet
Maurice Rioli
Trevor Poole

Remove this Banner Ad

Back