Restricted Free Agent Andy McGrath [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

depends on the $$$$$$

im ok with 6 years if the $ stacks up to it.
Given he's an RFA he'd already be in your top echelon of paid players, I can't imagine he's getting a pay cut.

I'd assume the contract would be worth around $4.2M ($700k per year).

Given he's an RFA he'd already be in your top echelon of paid players, I can't imagine he's getting a pay cut.

Top 10 paid, in a club that has been struggling to pay the cap floor for a few years.

Top 10 paid, in a club that has been struggling to pay the cap floor for a few years.
I'm surprised Essendon are offering such a long contract though, assuming it's true. I can't imagine there's a lot of clubs offering anything remotely similar. I like him as a player but not that much.

I'm surprised Essendon are offering such a long contract though, assuming it's true. I can't imagine there's a lot of clubs offering anything remotely similar. I like him as a player but not that much.
I'd be guessing it's similar to Merrett, Parish etc and it'll be front loaded

Sounds very generous for a good not great player in one of the easiest positions to fill on the field.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

its pretty common public knowledge that Essendon are one of the clubs who don't use the wage increase in there contracts. This would be another classical Dodoro contract whereby you pay slightly less but for longer.

As Ethan mentioned, heavily front load it and in years 4 - 5 - 6 lots of cap will be freed up and we could go after a serious free agent by then

He’s a good player but has done nothing to warrant signing him for 6 years.

He should have his pen ready as soon as that deal hits the table.

I hope he does.
Very important player for us. Shuts down the oppositions most dangerous small forward, while also having 500 meters gained in offence. Not many small defenders in the game with that combo.

I imagine we’d get a solid discount for signing him up for 6. The one positive of these sorts of deals is it prevents the players from holding clubs over a barrel to get a 3-4 year deal at 28/29.

Much happier signing McGrath for 6 than Parish given the fact he can play a variety of roles

I imagine we’d get a solid discount for signing him up for 6. The one positive of these sorts of deals is it prevents the players from holding clubs over a barrel to get a 3-4 year deal at 28/29.

Much happier signing McGrath for 6 than Parish given the fact he can play a variety of roles
think it's way too long tbh but he's been relatively healthy so not a huge risk

i think he's a solid role player who's started 2024 reasonably well. i reckon 6 years is a bit much but i'd wager that it'll become the norm going forward for anyone not starting out. it'll come down to what other clubs value in their small defenders. i think he works best as a lockdown defender and someone who can act as a link up player exiting the d50, but when he's outside of there it's a bit dicey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what type of 6?

is it like a he asked for 6 and got 6, 6?
or like a "he's signing for 6" but it's actually 7, dodoro wins again 6?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back