Restricted Free Agent Will Hayward [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly want him to stay

HFF is the hardest position on the field to play, and I think he does it very well.

His also done a great job negating the opposition's best interceptor at times this year.

Hard to gauge his value, bit of a team player, but chips in for a few goals a game generally and provides value.

To be honest your view above represents a clear majority of Swans Board posters.

To be honest your view above represents a clear majority of Swans Board posters.

I wouldn't say so, think Hayward is a bit polarising to our fan base, think some people thought he would be a super star, but I reckon his just a good top 12 odd player for us and would walk into any side in the league.

I honestly rate Florent above him but think both are best 18 and should be kept.

My problem is I don't know how to rate Hayward from a contract sense.

Lots of people on the Swans board will tell you he is useless and the likes, he is defintely our whipping boy when we lose or if has a quiet game. But, every club isn't going to be filled with a-graders. You need others that can come in and do a job; which Hayward does. He's not going to light up the stats sheet, but he's a pretty good outlet for us coming out of defense and is a solid mark. Goalkicking could better, but I hope we keep him, honestly.
Will be another Cerra for Carlton. Got even better once he moved.

Last edited:
I'm obviously bias but is there a club in more desperate need for extra forward options than Carlton? Feel like all the clubs mentioned in Morris' report are pretty stacked for options, especially in comparison?

From Cal Twomey today:

Hayward is expected to wait until later in the season before making a contract decision amid a rush of rival interest in South Australia and Victoria

If the Blues aren't putting a very tempting offer forward to him they'd be negligent in their duty. Everybody knows how desperate we are for some more options forward of centre.

If the Blues aren't putting a very tempting offer forward to him they'd be negligent in their duty. Everybody knows how desperate we are for some more options forward of centre.

I would go as far to say if he gets to Victoria but isn’t in a Carlton jumper it’s a fail. Don’t think I can do another year of relying on Jack Martin when we could pay a bit more in salary for a more durable, consistent and younger version.

Tom Morris seemed to throw Carlton into the mix with the last line in an article on WWOS re Carlton's Academy and Ireland trip:

"Carlton's list spots are tight, though they believe they have room for strong Sydney-restricted free agent Will Hayward should he leave the Swans."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back