Restricted Free Agent Andy McGrath [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably worth more to Essendon then anyone else due to his draft position/status at the club.

Plays that Nick Daicos rebounding defender role with Tim Toranto’s disposal.

If Essendon have a bottom 4 finish and Someone gives him a Ben McKay bs Band 1 offer you’d be happy to pack his bags.

If Essendon finish mid table or higher you probably just accept he’s a decent defensive back pocket and hope he matures into better disposal (and/or the team finds a marking tall that can make his dump kicks a not awful choice)

I was about to do the laugh emoji, then I realised we have the most long term signings of any club...
I cant believe darcy got the deal he did.

Or cox for that matter.

He's a decent player, has started this year pretty well but sometimes runs into positions where he has to blaze away or puts himself under pressure that look bad and stick in the mind. His clangers look awful but he's a pretty good kick based on advanced stats (threat rating/kick retention). I think he's a good defender and underrated offensively. Overhated cause he was pick 1 but he's not going to be amongst the elite, doubt we pay a fortune to keep him so maybe a club out there will offer something to have him considering a move.

He's a decent player, has started this year pretty well but sometimes runs into positions where he has to blaze away or puts himself under pressure that look bad and stick in the mind. His clangers look awful but he's a pretty good kick based on advanced stats (threat rating/kick retention). I think he's a good defender and underrated offensively. Overhated cause he was pick 1 but he's not going to be amongst the elite, doubt we pay a fortune to keep him so maybe a club out there will offer something to have him considering a move.

He's a decent AFL player, but as you say the pick 1 thing hurts him. If he was pick 11 nobody would hate on him, except for the odd Essendon fan.

Started the season well by his standards.
He probably deserves 4-5 year deal at 550-600k to stay given the market & how much the salary cap has gone up.
600K is like the new 500k solid wage solid player but not a superstar.

Started the season well by his standards.
He probably deserves 4-5 year deal at 550-600k to stay given the market & how much the salary cap has gone up.
600K is like the new 500k solid wage solid player but not a superstar.
He has started well ... I reckon he'll get a bit more than that if he keeps this up. I'm not a fan, but he certainly is putting his best foot forward toward getting a decent payday

He is a good player but there are 100 players like him in the AFL and coming up through the 18's

I’m not a huge McGrath fan but this is selling him short. He’s not that dynamic ball in hand so rightfully cop’s criticism for being a bit of a boring accumulator. But he’s a jet defensively and is excellent at beating his opponent in the contest.

The problem is no one wants an accumulator back pocket with the number 1 pick.

He was sooo bad tonight. Absolute spud. So are Parish and Draper. What a bunch of softies. McGrath is lucky to be on an AFL list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the best back pockets in the game, if a top 4 side was after a good BP it would be worth trading for him

This guy is bog average and has been for average. The fact he is vice captain speaks volumes of where Essendon are at.
I don't think leadership should have anything to do with how good a player is, as long as they're not a VFL player, that being said I do think McGrath is a bit better than the average AFL player & has started the season really in good form, not a superstar but definitely not a spud.

I don't think leadership should have anything to do with how good a player is, as long as they're not a VFL player, that being said I do think McGrath is a bit better than the average AFL player & has started the season really in good form, not a superstar but definitely not a spud.

It has to have some basis in performance … hence the phrase “lead by example”

A leaders play sets the example of what effort and skill level is acceptable in the group

There’s more to it than that. But that’s certainly a key part of it

He'll stay on a 4/5 year contract. Good defender, leader, and his disposal is good for the most part but his bad ones are really bad.

If he weren't a pick 1 he'd cop so much less crap than he does.

Cal Twomey on Gettable have said Essendon have offered McGrath a 6 year deal..
Six years...
Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back