NO TROLLS Angus Brayshaw retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayshaw has retired because of repeated concussions. Not because of the concussion he received courtesy of Maynard.
Does every thread on this board have to degenerate into a bunch of rock apes flinging their faeces?

I thought at the time, it was a bit of a worry how badly he was concussed from what appeared to be a fairly innocuous head high hit. It wasn't as though Maynard accelerated into it and cleaned his clock. It reminded me a little of boxers and UFC fighters who suddenly develop a "glass jaw" and become prone to being knocked out 3 to 4 times in succession. e.g Chuck Liddell, who by the end would fall to the canvas if anyone tapped his chin.

Sad day for Brayshaw and the Dees to have his career cut short like this. He was a bloody good footballer. Universally respected for his attitude, toughness and his desire to win the hard ball. A crucial player in Melbourne's drought-breaking 2021 premiership.

News like this is a good reminder for us diehard footy tragics that AFL footballers are not machines. They're not just there for our entertainment. They are real people made of flesh and blood who pay a personal price to play our great game. We should applaud all of them for their courage in taking the field and wearing the hard hits and bleeding for our clubs' jumpers.

Last edited:
Brayshaws comments are very direct in that letter. How the AFL had rules which allowed Maynard to do what he did without consequence and end his career has obviously let him livid.

Also as well big ups and respect to those advising him on that concussion panel.

Close friend of mine passed away a few years ago before he turned 18 and had many concussions and head injuries which kept him from playing footy for the last 2 years of his life.

Absolutely cannot be understated how important it is to look after your brain health.

All strength to Brayshaw and best wishes for future health🙏

He said he got a scan 2 weeks after and again recently showed further deterioration, suggesting his brain has been deteriorating even before the incident. Everyone knows CTE is a degenerative disease from cumulative knocks.

You are conveniently attributing the last incident to the deterioration, which is not how CTE works.
No we are contributing his latest knock to being totally and utterly avoidable. That’s where the gripe is. Again, only seeing Collingwood fans supporting Maynard and Collingwood fans are only here due to Maynard’s name being brought up. You’re the same posters who were contributing to the thread when the incident occurred.

A player retires due to ongoing head trauma, there's nothing funny or an excuse to troll about that. Heed to the thread tag.

Close friend of mine passed away a few years ago before he turned 18 and had many concussions and head injuries which kept him from playing footy for the last 2 years of his life.

Absolutely cannot be understated how important it is to look after your brain health.

Sorry to hear/read. Traumatic brain injury from repeated concussion in sports is not something to be taken lightly. It has taken the world health organisations a long time to come to common ground on the nature of repeated head knocks. I recall a prominent young sports entertainer, aka WWE wrestler, leave the industry because of concussion to take it up as his life goal

Christopher John Nowinski is an American neuroscientist, author and retired professional wrestler. After extensively researching concussions in American football, Nowinski co-founded the Concussion Legacy Foundation, where he is currently CEO and co-founded Boston University's CTE

Its because of people like Chris who have brought to light the real issues of repeated head trauma in sports

Sorry to hear/read. Traumatic brain injury from repeated concussion in sports is not something to be taken lightly. It has taken the world health organisations a long time to come to common ground on the nature of repeated head knocks. I recall a prominent young sports entertainer, aka WWE wrestler, leave the industry because of concussion to take it up as his life goal

Christopher John Nowinski is an American neuroscientist, author and retired professional wrestler. After extensively researching concussions in American football, Nowinski co-founded the Concussion Legacy Foundation, where he is currently CEO and co-founded Boston University's CTE

Its because of people like Chris who have brought to light the real issues of repeated head trauma in sports
Can recommend an excellent book called League of Denial. Looks at how the NFL ignored warnings and health reports for years about CTE.

1708595870887.jpeg

Can recommend an excellent book called League of Denial. Looks at how the NFL ignored warnings and health reports for years about CTE.

View attachment 1910986

yep, the AFL has done the same. There was an action before the Court last year with past players taking action against the AFL but I havent kept tabs on what happened to it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure when the line was crossed? Was it when Maynard was labelled a dog, a coward, or recommended be put in jail? Or maybe all the posters suggesting the tribunal decision was wrong and somehow manufactured by the AFL?
I think a lot of Melbourne fans feel the line was crossed when our player was being stretched off and the Collingwood fans decided that was the time to start a chant, as opposed to the usual thing where everyone from both sides claps off a player who’s been knocked out.

Sad to see him cut short but a wise decision.

We’ll see more of these as clubs move on from the ‘let’s do everything we can to avoid losing a good player’ to ‘yeah, the guy has brain injuries, it’s really for the best.’

I can't imagine sitting in a neurosuergeon's office being told that your brain is too cooked to keep playing is a great way to retire. It's such a cruel ending to a solid career. Hopefully Brayshaw can protect his health and live many happy years without ongoing complications.

As for all the debate about Maynard; it's over now. I didn't agree with the verdict, but it's done and that's that. Maynard didn't take to the field with the intention of ironing someone out and ending their career, so let's stop with the character assassination.

Looking ahead, hopefully the AFL will really take some big strides forward and make the appropriate rule changes, as well as instituting cultural change, so that the players' brain health is truly protected and we can keep enjoying this sport for years to come. It'll probably take some getting used to, but I for one don't want to see more players finishing their careers in a neurosurgeon's office as they look at scans showing their brains deteriorating. Again, what a terrible ending. I can't help but wonder how much Brayshaw even remembers of his last game ever.

When a group of former players finally get together and file a bankruptcy inducing CTE class action against the AFL, the Maynard decision and the AFL's disgraceful commercially motivated decision not to appeal it will be Exhibit A.

Last edited:
He said he got a scan 2 weeks after and again recently showed further deterioration, suggesting his brain has been deteriorating even before the incident. Everyone knows CTE is a degenerative disease from cumulative knocks.

You are conveniently attributing the last incident to the deterioration, which is not how CTE works.
here I highlighted it for you since you're having trouble reading it
gus letter highlighted.png

Well the incident retired him. Fair point though. You’re right on cumulative impacts. I am just very frustrated by the way it happened and the fact I saw it as totally avoidable.

Every collision in football is avoidable in theory. In reality players are making decisions in 0.5 seconds, running at full speed, under huge pressure and full of adrenaline.

Maynard genuinely tried to smother, he and Bradshaw collided and unfortunately Bradshaw had one too many head knocks.

Trying to demonise someone in this situation is pretty poor. Right back since 2016 he was always going to be one bad concussion away from retirement, it’s a shitty situation and everyone wishes him the best.

Collingwood has seen players lost to concussion and probably will again with Murphy, it sucks.

I am glad Brayshaw has made this decision and despite selfishly wanting Murphy to play on hope he makes a similar call. I have never understood the attack by Dees fans on Maynard. It is 100% clear his intention was to smother the ball and if people are thinking he had time to think about laying out Brayshaw which I don't think he did, Brayshaw surely had more chance of avoiding the contact. Who is to say Brayshaw's intent wasn't to tunnel Maynard. Same stupid argument. Sadly it is just an unfortunate incident at super high intensity at the start of the game with both players putting their bodies on the line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back