Opinion OFFICIAL: Josh Walker traded for Brisbane's 2016 3rd Rd pick (Jansen = steak knives)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hypothetically, if Lonergan and Taylor were both out injured, who would you play at CHB and FB?
Kolodjashnij and......

You don't think they could try him down back what with all our old and slow KPB's coming to their end?
What was the point in recruiting walker horlin smith and smedts
They have been played so out of position and inconsistently it would be doing their heads in
Where would any of them be if they got a full year in the seniors all gregson, Lang

What was the point in recruiting walker horlin smith and smedts
They have been played so out of position and inconsistently it would be doing their heads in
Where would any of them be if they got a full year in the seniors all gregson, Lang
I don't know, maybe we need a coach who has the ability to play players in their right spot, or atleast has some versatility

the sooner Walker is traded the better.

His fan boys can pump him up all they like,,,,zero impact as per usual, and his last three games..or is it 4?,,,putrid. The guy's a spud.

For a guy who has shown aversion to vehement criticism of club and players in the past, I find your stance on Walker really odd.

I'm not saying he's any good. In fact, I freely admit he's the antithesis of a classy player. But at the end of the day he's a 22 KPD with barely 30 games to his name (most of which have been in a variety of positions), playing in a side that can't win a clean clearance to save themselves. Simply does not deserve such vitriol.

He's a young key forward who has shown potential for years, im surprised clubs aren't asking about him, may because he looks 32 not 22

The coaching team is too insular
Too geelong too Brisbane
Too bad
Needed ideas out of the swans, port, Hawks etc
Maybe they watch highlights of Brisbane 01-04 during game day;)

At the end of the day you are only as good as your last gig. Walker was buy no measn the worst out there last night. He had plenty of company.

The issue is the bloke has had chances to keep the wolves at bay and not taken them. I actually think perseverance will yield results but the tide right now is against him. Couple that with the OOF last night in front of goals and the misses over the last 2-3 weeks and the body of work is less than stellar.

His issue now is not only has he hurt his chances internally but externally as well. He could get a 1-2 yr deal with us as depth and prove us all wrong. Im not sure he will got offers elsewhere after his last month - although as I said he has not been alone.

Go Catters
Seriously Daz, Walker's chances were severely limited by the fact that he may get picked as a CHF but usually ends up being part of the cobbled together ruck division. Not much opportunity there to build his confidence and scoreboard impact.

I admired his "have a go" efforts and contested marking. I prefer a team made up of blokes prepared to have a go, even if we lose, rather than win sometimes and then go invertebrate for no apparent reason.

Frankly I now hope he gets picked up by another team while he is still young at 23 and is given a proper chance at an AFL career rather than being treated like a "depth" spare part at Geelong.

at least he presented as a target last night and gave a leading option along the wing; he also provides a contest when presenting as a marking option, too a couple of contested marks he didn't look in position to take, but was also good enough to not let his opponent get easy possessions or an easy out from them either.

Hawkins seemed to go missing for larger chunks last night, didn't present as a linking player enough, but also allowed his opponent an easy run at the ball, with them seeming to be able to clear the area (by foot or hand) way too easy at times. He had to be lucky to not be subbed based on last nights efforts, but something of the golden boy so can't see that happening.

I was under the impression that if you have a big FF and a big CHF, the FF stays near the goals and acts as a target for the midfield to kick to, while the CHF does all his work around the half forward line and leads up to the wings for a chop out kick. That way they don't get in each other's way and more importantly, don't bring their opponents into the other's contest.
Even though we have these weapons at our disposal, we seem to want to continuously play a Pagan's Paddock type of gameplan, which not only makes these guys redundant but also makes it harder to get the ball out of our defence because they're all in the one half of the ground

Yes Hoopsahoy, you make a good point about Walker not being settled into a key position, as trying to fill this ruck spot is not good for form. Should be played in defence from now on imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seconded. We need to shake up our coaching structures as well as sort out our on-field ones. Getting in some new blood with 'outside' ideas would be good for the club.
I was thinking about this before... I think it's time to shake it up and get some different blood in there, something not Brisbane..

And for all the rubbish comments about how Ling is dead to people I would love to see him in as an assistant. He was pretty blunt a few times watching replays last night about Geelong players either being selfish and running forward of the ball and I reckon he would have no problem in smacking people down if they need it.

I was thinking about this before... I think it's time to shake it up and get some different blood in there, something not Brisbane..

And for all the rubbish comments about how Ling is dead to people I would love to see him in as an assistant. He was pretty blunt a few times watching replays last night about Geelong players either being selfish and running forward of the ball and I reckon he would have no problem in smacking people down if they need it.
Assistant coach Ling would be good. Media Lingy is dead to me.

So who should we change out in the coaching mix to get a different perspective??

There is scant evidence of anything Brisbane 2001 to 2004 in our game plan,perhaps Chris should do the opposite and sit down with Barney over the break and work on something new.

Could be because he had 5 possesions for the night....... Well that's the stats in the paper say.

Subbed at halftime, presented well, provided a leading target and set up Stevie J for a goal in the second qtr when the Pies stopped playing and the Pies fans in the crowd started jeering Mackies kick which didn't go out on the full or fall into the hands of one of their players

For a guy who has shown aversion to vehement criticism of club and players in the past, I find your stance on Walker really odd.

I'm not saying he's any good. In fact, I freely admit he's the antithesis of a classy player. But at the end of the day he's a 22 KPD with barely 30 games to his name (most of which have been in a variety of positions), playing in a side that can't win a clean clearance to save themselves. Simply does not deserve such vitriol.

You're absolutely right...I am reluctant to be vehement in criticizing players...the post you quoted was borne out of total frustration and disappointment and was a bit over the top.....actually sorry I wrote it...

Nevertheless, I don't see Walker being an answer to our shortcomings....

You're absolutely right...I am reluctant to be vehement in criticizing players...the post you quoted was borne out of total frustration and disappointment and was a bit over the top.....actually sorry I wrote it...

Nevertheless, I don't see Walker being an answer to our shortcomings....
Happens to the best of us,did I ever tell you what I thought of Varcoe.:)
PS: Menzels a given but a pleasing return of Vardy as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back