Anyone here play hockey?

Remove this Banner Ad

I played inline from about 98-02 and started ice a few months ago... all my gear needed replacing (since I've grown a bit since :p .
I bought shin pads, elbows, shoulders, padded shorts, sticks, skates, pucks and some assorted bits and pieces such as skate sharpener etc... all shipped to my house for about $950, and was at my door step within four days.

The shins/elbows/shoulders came in a started pack for $75... the cheapest such pack here at the ice rink starts at about $400. I got two Reebok 10k sticks for $229 together (haven't seen any in shop here, but they retail for $530 EACH in new zealand)... Reebok 7k skates for $240 (retail here for about $900).
If anyone is starting to play, I'd definitely recommend you check that place out, it's called hockeymonkey.com

Any of you guys hit up the stick and puck or adult drop in sessions in melbourne?

For those of you who have played/been to the Melbourne Ice House do they sell jerseys for all the big NHL teams there?

Probably going down to watch one of the Melbourne teams play this weekend and have never been before.

I played inline from about 98-02 and started ice a few months ago... all my gear needed replacing (since I've grown a bit since :p .
I bought shin pads, elbows, shoulders, padded shorts, sticks, skates, pucks and some assorted bits and pieces such as skate sharpener etc... all shipped to my house for about $950, and was at my door step within four days.

The shins/elbows/shoulders came in a started pack for $75... the cheapest such pack here at the ice rink starts at about $400. I got two Reebok 10k sticks for $229 together (haven't seen any in shop here, but they retail for $530 EACH in new zealand)... Reebok 7k skates for $240 (retail here for about $900).
If anyone is starting to play, I'd definitely recommend you check that place out, it's called hockeymonkey.com

Any of you guys hit up the stick and puck or adult drop in sessions in melbourne?
I've been looking at hockeymonkey for a while now and since I started the intro to hockey thing at the ice house 5 weeks ago after 3-4 months of pond hockey and skating practise. I really need to get my own gear. What was the postage cost in the end with all that stuff? I've already got skates, pucks and a stick but need the rest. Which brand did you go with for the pads? I've found a Bauer combo (shoulders,elbows shins) for about $100 plus $40 postage on ebay. I know Bauer have shipping restrictions on their skates so I'm assuming they have the same on other equipment too so I won't be able to get them from hockeymonkey. Which is annoying because I've already tried on the Bauer pads and I know how they fit.

I'm pretty annoyed that I bought my stakes here without looking online because I paid $300 for my Reebok 4K's lol. Could have got myself some 8Ks instead online.:eek: Got myself an el cheapo Sherwood stick from Costco for $70 with a pretty good quality regulation size goal for $99 too.

For those of you who have played/been to the Melbourne Ice House do they sell jerseys for all the big NHL teams there?
Nah mate all they've got is some plain Warrior training jerseys and Melb Ice and Mustangs jerseys.

I've been looking at hockeymonkey for a while now and since I started the intro to hockey thing at the ice house 5 weeks ago after 3-4 months of pond hockey and skating practise. I really need to get my own gear. What was the postage cost in the end with all that stuff? I've already got skates, pucks and a stick but need the rest. Which brand did you go with for the pads? I've found a Bauer combo (shoulders,elbows shins) for about $100 plus $40 postage on ebay. I know Bauer have shipping restrictions on their skates so I'm assuming they have the same on other equipment too so I won't be able to get them from hockeymonkey. Which is annoying because I've already tried on the Bauer pads and I know how they fit.

I'm pretty annoyed that I bought my stakes here without looking online because I paid $300 for my Reebok 4K's lol. Could have got myself some 8Ks instead online.:eek: Got myself an el cheapo Sherwood stick from Costco for $70 with a pretty good quality regulation size goal for $99 too.

Nah mate all they've got is some plain Warrior training jerseys and Melb Ice and Mustangs jerseys.

I went with Easton pad set... it was like $85. Easton is my personal favorite for gear and sticks, though Bauer is tied for skates. I've never worn Reebok before which is why I decided to try the sticks and skates.. the skates are great but the sticks are a bit meh.

The shipping was roughly 35-40% of the total cost from memory. But it was well worth it... all that gear here would be well over $1500
I believe Bauer don't ship their gear over here in general... not just skates. There are several companies which run services to circumvent this though. I know a couple guys down at the rink who have used a service via PayPal where they ship the gear to a location in the US and they ship it to you from there, but I think the costs will increase a bit doing this.

Is that goal regulation hockey steel? I've bought a couple goals over the years, but every time the puck hits the post it deforms it -_-

I play here in Adelaide and have since i was about 8 years old. :thumbsu:

I think you could count the amount of times I had been skating in my first 20 years of life on one hand. I always liked hockey, but just never really pursued it. At 20 or 21, I decided I wanted to try it. I was in this training program (can't remember the name) which just teaches you how to skate and basic skills, like AusKick for footy. The coach said I was close to having a shot to make the senior B team, but I ruptured the joint capsule in my left ankle playing basketball, and my ankle swelled up so big that I couldn't skate for months. I then tried to get back into hockey, but the shut down the rink here in town shortly after. I'd love to get back into hockey, even if I have to travel to Melbourne to play/train. Apparently there's a roller-hockey league here in Bendigo though, so that might be the better option.

I am playing on two teams in the Minto Adult Hockey League this year, but I've played in both Travellers and Sensplex leagues in past years.

Bumping this thread, really keen on taking up goalie. Can anybody with experience advise the best places to start putting together a decent kit (What will I need besides the pads, skates, blocker, stick, jersey, helmet and glove) whilst keeping costs down? As someone who's never bought any equipment before, when is the best time to buy? Will the American sites have big price drops after the Stanley Cup?

P.S is it true that goalies get free attendance at drop in stick and puck sessions at Ice house?

I was gonna go to an ice hockey training this year and just wondering do you train in the pads? (in melbourne)

I currently play Div2 inline out of Puckhandlers (Reservoir) and I occasionally get out for 'Stick and puck' sessions at Ice House. I was going to take up ice but just can't afford the time. I had played as high as A-grade inline back when I was younger.

I buy almost all my gear online from the states (Inline/Ice Warehouse) and use a forwarder to get it here. As someone mentioned it is much cheaper even with the air freight...generally 20-30% including the shipping. The only issue I have heard of is getting your ice skates sharpened. Ice House was charging a massive amount, I heard around the $40+ mark, for a first sharpen if you didn't buy your skates from them.

I was gonna go to an ice hockey training this year and just wondering do you train in the pads? (in melbourne)

Depends on the session. Generally for team training you wear everything. The last time I went 'stick and puck' at Ice House the you only need to wear a helmet by their rules. I always wear all my inline gear. I have seen someone take a slapshot to the knee in one of those sessions...they wre only wearing a helmet and their hockey gloves...not good.

CG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I currently play Div2 inline out of Puckhandlers (Reservoir) and I occasionally get out for 'Stick and puck' sessions at Ice House. I was going to take up ice but just can't afford the time. I had played as high as A-grade inline back when I was younger.

I buy almost all my gear online from the states (Inline/Ice Warehouse) and use a forwarder to get it here. As someone mentioned it is much cheaper even with the air freight...generally 20-30% including the shipping. The only issue I have heard of is getting your ice skates sharpened. Ice House was charging a massive amount, I heard around the $40+ mark, for a first sharpen if you didn't buy your skates from them.

Depends on the session. Generally for team training you wear everything. The last time I went 'stick and puck' at Ice House the you only need to wear a helmet by their rules. I always wear all my inline gear. I have seen someone take a slapshot to the knee in one of those sessions...they wre only wearing a helmet and their hockey gloves...not good.

CG
Thanks mate, do you think if I show up to a training at Oakleigh that I'd hire pads/skates for the night?

Thanks mate, do you think if I show up to a training at Oakleigh that I'd hire pads/skates for the night?

Not 100% on Oaklleigh, but their website indicates that it is part of the development program they run.... http://www.icerink.com.au/ice-hockey/

That says it includes use of skates, a helmet and a stick. I think you also have to pay for IHV membership.

Gotta be honest, I think Icehouse is more expensive for their development programs, but theie facility is so much better.

CG

At the Oakleigh rink Ice Hockey Victoria has a storage cupboard that you can just go into and grab what gear you need on the night.

+1 for the Icehouse, having started out at Oakleigh it was a revelation when I actually got onto their hockey rink, really much better loaner protective gear and no cloud obscuring people from view and actual ice rather than slush underfoot on hot days!

They had the same thing here in Bendigo where you pay entry for the class and you get public skate, stick, helmet and knee pad access. God I miss hockey. If I was still playing, I probably wouldn't be playing gridiron now though.

I have played the game all my life and, here in Canada, I play on the outdoor rinks with my kids in the winter.

I find ice skating to be easier than roller blading. You have more control over a single steel blade than you do over four independent wheels.

Bumping this thread, really keen on taking up goalie. Can anybody with experience advise the best places to start putting together a decent kit (What will I need besides the pads, skates, blocker, stick, jersey, helmet and glove) whilst keeping costs down? As someone who's never bought any equipment before, when is the best time to buy? Will the American sites have big price drops after the Stanley Cup?

P.S is it true that goalies get free attendance at drop in stick and puck sessions at Ice house?
I realise this may be a bit late but don't forget to get a good box, nothing worse than a puck to the nuts in my opinion. Also make sure to get one you can tighten, you don't want to just have a box down your jocks and have it slide across to the side as you go down to make a save.

I was a fourth-line left winger for a few years back in my early teens, and I'm probably even further below average now, a decade later. I can recall having scored two goals in three seasons, so clearly I was quite the star. Stopped playing due to knee injuries that put me on crutches for the better part of two years, but I'd love to get back into it if I could. It's just a matter of being able to afford new, adult-sized equipment, and finding a pick-up league where I won't be so woefully underskilled that it stops being fun. And having the time to play, I guess that's an important one too. So maybe a few years down the road, then!

Signed up to play Summer League, lowest grade possible. Pumped, I figured that its worth having a crack at. Such a good game to be involved in, its gone from a passion of mine as a spectator and something I thought I'd never do, to the most enjoyable part of my week and rewarding challenge I have tackled.

Go see Joey at Next Level Hockey at the Oakleigh Rink, he knows his stuff and is generally cheaper than the icehouse.

I play ice hockey at the Cockburn rink in Perth. I actually play all positions. I started out of a defensemen because I wasn't the best at shooting the puck, but eventually tried out as a goalie due to a lack of them for teams and turned out to be a natural in that position. Recently though I tried moving up and playing center because it turns out I'm pretty decent at winning faceoffs. So come gameday I could be really in any of those positions, depending on how I am feeling on the day or where the coach needs me.

lol!

Just wanted to bump this, found this thread from a google search.

Anyone have any feedback for the intro to hockey at the icehouse? Really keen to sign up to the next one starting in July or October, been going for a few free skates and picked things up pretty quick, i guess thats from inline skating when i was younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back