Are 'premiership windows' a thing of the past?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the bloody hell did you quote someone only to post "Port Adelaide", it wasn't even asking a question as in Port Adelaide? It was just randomly posting Port Adelaide.

Are they in their window? you may be asking, hell yes.

i bolded his quote. Said that in 2013 there was 6 teams that had no chance of making the 8 which included Port..

Some teams are in a premiership window and some teams aren't.

Only teams in a premiership window can win a premiership. No chance a team like the like the Western Bulldogs will click their fingers and win a premiership.

i bolded his quote. Said that in 2013 there was 6 teams that had no chance of making the 8 which included Port..

I would say that is a perfect example of why there is a premiership window.
There are 4-5 teams that are right up there in there window.
Then there are another 4-5 teams that are outside chances at best.
Then there are 4-5 teams that could make finals, but are never going to win.
And 4-5 teams glued to the bottom of the ladder, that have almost no chance of making the 8.
Each group of teams (and I won't go in to which teams are in which category as it isn't the point of this thread) is at different stages of their premiership window. Sure it is possible to win from out of there, but it is highly unlikely.

Nah, no mention of Port Adelaide, unless you think Port are in the bolded category.

The idea is valid, teams rarely come from nowhere. Being able to predict iton the other hand...

People slightly misinterpret what the window is I think. For me it means that the majority of your players (or your best players) should be in the prime of their careers (25-29 years of age) if you want to be a contender. You wouldn't find too many premiership teams that don't fit that criteria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"With an ageing core group of players, the Hawks may be forgiven for thinking they'd missed a vital chance to cash in another premiership to go with their 2008 triumph - and make the most out of a golden group of talent."

from february '13... what a waste of a golden group!

I think the idea of a window (albeit one that can be quickly enlarged or shrunk) still has some currency. There are teams whose lists could theoretically win a flag, and there are those whose lists are either too low quality or too young or too old to win one. No one could argue that Carlton is in a premiership window. Same goes for Richmond - their current list just isn't flag quality. Hawthorn are still in it because they're not that old and have only lost a couple of players from the 2015 grand final team. The Bulldogs clearly have the talent to win one in the near future.

Sydney are a special case. They've perfected the art of staying in the eight without contending. Ignore the number of finals series they've played in and just look at the flags - in the last 20 years, it's 2 flags from 17 finals campaigns.

Some clubs' lists are physically capable of winning the premiership in the near future, and some are not. To deny such is nonsense.

Teams can surprise or hang around a bit longer than most expect, but I think the premiership window by and large is a pretty good description. Hawthorn, Collingwood, West Coast, Sydney and maybe the Clowns currently have a group of players that most think can win the premiership - they are in the the window. Gold Coast, GWS, Port, Melbourne don't have the players/experience/talent at the moment - they by definition arde not in the window.

Teams like the Saints, Bulldogs and Geelong have passed the window, the majority their good players have aged or retired, and the replacements are either not as good or still too young, the window seems to have passed.

Other teams are moving towards the window through talent and experience. Malthouse despite being an egotistical and self serving maniac does think deeply about the game, and I think his description of this is pretty apt.

How has the window closed for the Bulldogs? Have the Bulldogs even been serious contenders in the past 5 years? 2016 is the best chance the Doggies have, the best they've done, so if anything their window has just opened up.

Our window is boarded up.

Brisbane's "Window"

8874706-Bricked-over-window-on-a-sunny-masonry-wall-Stock-Photo.jpg

I wonder if Sam Mitchell still believes that premiership windows are a thing of the past.
With the way Hawthorn have been managing their list you'd have to say he still subscribes to the premiership window.

1st on the ladder was 11th last year
2nd on the ladder was 17th 2 years ago
5th, 6th and 7th were 10th, 14th and 15th last year
Both last years grand finalists look like missing the 8

Fair argument for most teams could win it (not mine this year obviously) in any year if things go right for them

1st on the ladder was 11th last year
2nd on the ladder was 17th 2 years ago
5th, 6th and 7th were 10th, 14th and 15th last year
Both last years grand finalists look like missing the 8

Fair argument for most teams could win it (not mine this year obviously) in any year if things go right for them
I wonder if the premiership window has been replaced with the premiership clock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back