Multiplat Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Remove this Banner Ad

I only just started Unity but I'm actually enjoying it. I'd heard awful things which made me put it off for the longest time, but there's so much to do. Pleasantly surprised.

Good Game gave it 4.5/5

Bajo loved it especially

I don't agree that this is so much better than Unity. The worst part about Unity was the performance issues at launch and while that is unacceptable it ran almost flawlessly (besides some frame rate dips in busy areas) after a month of patches. They nailed Paris. It was large, vibrant and alive with huge swarms of people, heaps of interiors, personalities in the crowds and the living setting of the French Revolution. Basically what should be the standard of "next gen" sandboxes. Syndicate as a sandbox feels more like what we came to expect from PS3/360 sandbox with a largely stagnant world. It's like that they have compromised the personality of London not to have a repeat of Unity.

Unity IMO has been the closest to the AC2 formula since Brotherhood and Revelations (my favourite with those Ezio/Altair ending feels). There was enough variation in the gear to suit a particular play style and there was lots more added novelty like upgrading your cafe, ranking up through getting better gear and there was co-op. In Syndicate there are just a handful of different activities copy and pasted around the map, a shallow levelling and upgrade system with little variation in the gear.

Having two different characters is gimmicky because there are very little differences besides their uniques abilities and by about level 7, you will have most most likely maxed out two trees and then some on both characters. It's a breeze playing as Evie as you can just hide in plain sight and rush any enemy that gets too close and she has more than enough throwing knives than there are ever enemies. Arno was tied in better through previous characters unlike these two who were just whimmed up and dumped in. The controls are giving me the shits as much as always though. Trying to chase somebody and jump on a fence... Try to jump off and instead climbs up the wall... Then along the wall :straining::cry:

That being said I'll still carry on and plat it like I did Unity. With the addition of horse and cart I guess it's a step closer to cars, I think they're trying things out until an eventual challenge of trying to set a game fully in the modern world.

I haven't quite finished the story but concerning this piece of Eden,
the Shroud of Turin, IMO Templars after it to revive Juno, Assassins for Desmond?

My 2 cents anyway. Opinions etc etc

Last edited:
For those who have finished it, surely you haven't spent the average 35-40 hrs you can easily spend on AC?

Wait the chests and glitches aren't achievements? FML. Gonna go finish sequence 8 tonight then instead of walking around looking for all these

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah no 'chievey for chests or glitches. Definitely about time, probably nothing more brain numbing. I've got them all for Whitechapel, Southwark, Lambeth and the Thames but there are 60+ or something in City of London so I'm not sure how much longer until the novelty wears off. I'm hardly a completionist (besides the odd platinum) but I just hate having little things all over my map.

I've still got this AC stone cold last. Disappointing that this is all Ubisoft Quebec have come up with since Black Flag. Montreal is doing Primal so no idea who they've handballed the next annual instalment of Creed of Duty to.

So far my order goes:

Revelations
Brotherhood (these two interchangeable but the Revelations story gave me more feels)
AC2
Unity
Assassins of the Caribbean
AC3
AC1
Syndicate

Rogue has been on my Steam wishlist for a while but I keep forgetting to check whether it is on sale or not. I looked up most of the spoilers on Youtube a while ago anyway for the story.

I liked Black Flag, just didn't feel like an Assassin's game, just a really good action game/pirate simulator. Unity went back to the original formula of AC2 and was so ambitious that it will forever be marred by it's launch issues. Fair enough that it will always be the punching bag (until they drag the franchise through the mud some more) but it still had more features and more going for it than Syndicate. Probably more suited to the unpopular gaming opinion thread :p:D but as a long time fan of the franchise and the lore it's something I whole heartedly standby, not just trying to make a controversial statement for the sake it.

I liked Black Flag, just didn't feel like an Assassin's game, just a really good action game/pirate simulator. Unity went back to the original formula of AC2 and was so ambitious that it will forever be marred by it's launch issues. Fair enough that it will always be the punching bag (until they drag the franchise through the mud some more) but it still had more features and more going for it than Syndicate. Probably more suited to the unpopular gaming opinion thread :p:D but as a long time fan of the franchise and the lore it's something I whole heartedly standby, not just trying to make a controversial statement for the sake it.
Fair enough. I'm actually a bit more forgiving of Unity than some - for the most part I enjoyed it. Even disregarding the bugs though the world just felt really bloated; every time I looked at the map I was overwhelmed by the hundreds of icons. Found the side missions pretty boring as well which didn't really help.

To be honest though I don't remember enough about the others to do full rankings. :p

Mine goes:

AC2
AC1
ACB
ACR
AC3

Have played both Black Flag and Unity but couldn't get into either of them. AC should've ended after Revelations, the story was so good and the setting was great. AC3 was good also IMO but it was the start of the downfall for AC.

Releasing a new one every year doesn't help as I've been over them, they need to space them out.

Mine goes:

AC2
AC1
ACB
ACR
AC3

Have played both Black Flag and Unity but couldn't get into either of them. AC should've ended after Revelations, the story was so good and the setting was great. AC3 was good also IMO but it was the start of the downfall for AC.

Releasing a new one every year doesn't help as I've been over them, they need to space them out.

Any reason for rating 1 so highly?

So far my order goes:

Revelations
Brotherhood (these two interchangeable but the Revelations story gave me more feels)
AC2
Unity
Assassins of the Caribbean
AC3
AC1
Syndicate

Rogue has been on my Steam wishlist for a while but I keep forgetting to check whether it is on sale or not. I looked up most of the spoilers on Youtube a while ago anyway for the story.
You liked Revelations that much?! I found it to be the worst of the Ezio trilogy, by a long way too. None of the newly introduced mechanics worked well and I felt the story just kind of petered out.

If I were to rate the one's I've played it'd be:
AC Brotherhood
AC2
ACIV
AC Revelations
AC1

You liked Revelations that much?! I found it to be the worst of the Ezio trilogy, by a long way too. None of the newly introduced mechanics worked well and I felt the story just kind of petered out.

If I were to rate the one's I've played it'd be:
AC Brotherhood
AC2
ACIV
AC Revelations
AC1

I sure did. I was disappointed in returning to the same setting for a third time and losing the ability to use recruits and stuff, but the switching between Ezio and Altair to tie up the story (something they haven't done since) and that ending hit me right in the feels. The short animated film about Ezio that came with it just felt like such a great yet somber end to the series. With that film too they were clearly hinting at an Asian assassin as there was no other reason to include that character at the end. I wonder what happened along the design path to change it to the Americas for the next two games. A bit of digging has both Quebec City and Montreal studios working on Brotherhood and Revelations, but they broke up. Montreal started work on Unity straight after AC3 in anticipation of the new consoles while Quebec concentrated on Black Flag and now we have annual releases Treyarch/Sledgehammer CoD style. So I'm not sure if that decision changed their future plans.

With the mechanics they have been toying with since Black Flag I'm fully under the impression they have been trying things out to have a massive go at making an epic AC game set in the modern times.

Yeah I didn't mind Unity as much as everyone else either. Frame rate was utter sh1te but I didn't get any of the common bugs.

Black Flag still no. 1 for me. Agree that it was pirate simulator rather than a proper AC, but that was just fine with me. Still hoping for a Black Flag 2 at some stage (and a bloody fuedal japan AC game but looks like that might never happen now that they're catching up to modern times).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back