Aussies Abroad Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks like Lucas Neil is prepared to do whatever it takes to get himself to Brazil having made another club change - and full credit to him - but I think he's a long-shot to be chosen.

Surely he cant be selected now, another injury to a potential squad member though which isnt great.

Trent Sainsbury played for the Zwolle reserves the other day so you'd imagine he be back in the first team this week.

Any update on Curtis Good's injury?

Holman has announced his retirement from the Socceroos. Completely ****ed his career up by leaving Holland. So many bad career choices. Something tells me he may have got a call from Ange.

Holman would be a great get for the A League, stupid money chasing git.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's probably the youngest of the experienced mob too; just 30. Could have been ripe for a leadership role in the middle of the ground if he was still playing well and in a good league. Still though, I guess you can't berate someone who wanted to play in the English Premier League, as much as it faulted him in retrospect.

Holman has announced his retirement from the Socceroos. Completely ****** his career up by leaving Holland. So many bad career choices. Something tells me he may have got a call from Ange.

Bingo. Could have stayed in a decent league and been a walk up start to this years squad before chasing a belated payday in the Middle East but jumped the gun instead.

Great goal against Serbia in Sud Efrika in 2010 tho :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't blame him for going to England but after that he should looked at staying in Europe. I imagine he would have had a few options back in the Eredivisie. Instead he chased the money for a season and will not only miss out on the World Cup but also the Asian Cup. Those tournaments would have been a good shop window for him as well for a Middle East move.

The back 4 might turn into a bit of a lottery, I'd love to see a guy like Bailey Wright get a call-up.

Which players do we have at at left/centre back that are better than him? I heard a rumour that he's been watched by socceroos officials (including Ange) and they have also been in contact with him. I can't imagine he'd get a spot now but one for the future maybe.

Which players do we have at at left/centre back that are better than him? I heard a rumour that he's been watched by socceroos officials (including Ange) and they have also been in contact with him. I can't imagine he'd get a spot now but one for the future maybe.

Wasn't Baily caught up in some betting scandal? If he's found to be clean I see no reason why he couldn't make the squad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a tough question to answer, I don't think he's quite ready to be part of the World Cup squad just yet. The problem is the back 4 are so unsettled, but if I had to choose I'd be looking at guys like Davidson, McGowan and possibly Sainsbury. Hopefully we get a better idea of it when Ange announces his preliminary WC squad.

That's a tough question to answer, I don't think he's quite ready to be part of the World Cup squad just yet. The problem is the back 4 are so unsettled, but if I had to choose I'd be looking at guys like Davidson, McGowan and possibly Sainsbury. Hopefully we get a better idea of it when Ange announces his preliminary WC squad.

I agree.

Looks like Wright and Halloran have made the squad of 30, not sure if this is confirmation or not.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...lous-30man-squad/story-fn9iws45-1226916389673

Bailey Wright has confirmed he got a call to congratulate him on making the provisional squad :thumbsu:

GOALKEEPERS
Mark BIRIGHITTI (Newcastle Jets FC, AUSTRALIA)
Eugene GALEKOVIC (Adelaide United FC, AUSTRALIA)
Mitchell LANGERAK (B.V. Borussia 09 Dortmund, GERMANY)
Mat RYAN (Club Brugge KV, BELGIUM)

DEFENDERS
Jason DAVIDSON (SC Heracles Almelo, NETHERLANDS)
Ivan FRANJIC (Brisbane Roar FC, AUSTRALIA)
Curtis GOOD (Dundee United FC, SCOTLAND)
Ryan McGOWAN (Shandong Luneng Taishan FC, CHINA)
Matthew SPIRANOVIC (Western Sydney Wanderers FC, AUSTRALIA)
Alex WILKINSON (Jeonbuk Hyundai FC, KOREA REPUBLIC)
Luke WILKSHIRE (FK Dinamo Moscow, RUSSIA)
Bailey WRIGHT (Preston North End FC, ENGLAND)

MIDFIELDERS
Oliver BOZANIC (FC Luzern, SWITZERLAND)
Mark BRESCIANO (Al Gharafa, QATAR)
Joshua BRILLANTE (Newcastle Jets FC, AUSTRALIA)
James HOLLAND (FK Austria Vienna, AUSTRIA)
Mile JEDINAK (Crystal Palace FC, ENGLAND)
Massimo LUONGO (Swindon Town FC, ENGLAND)
Matthew McKAY (Brisbane ROAR FC, AUSTRALIA)
Mark MILLIGAN (Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA)
Tommy OAR (FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS)
Tommy ROGIC (Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA)
Adam SAROTA (FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS)
James TROISI (Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA)
Dario VIDOSIC (FC Sion, SWITZERLAND)

FORWARDS
Tim CAHILL (New York Red Bulls, USA)
Ben HALLORAN (Fortuna Dusseldorf, GERMANY)
Josh KENNEDY (Nagoya Grampus 8, JAPAN)
Matthew LECKIE (FSV Frankfurt 1899, GERMANY)
Adam TAGGART (Newcastle Jets FC, AUSTRALIA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back