Australia’s Confederations Cup bid the help of the four major football codes

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would there be public transport upgrades in Melbourne? Last I looked all the venues were in the city, and all the hotels were in the city :confused:

Grand prix is a great example. Big international event. Massive exposure. Brings in millions apparently. Name the last infrastructure project associated with the GP?

Couldn't tell you off the top of my head but would be very surprised if nothing has happened since 1996 (the year of the first GP in Melbourne). Surely some of the roads around Albert Park have been redone in that time for example or perhaps new tram lines laid.

The point I was making is that generally big events mean improvements sometimes occur as a result or in anticipation.

Check out the wiki below - seems they rebuilt some of the roads prior to the inaugural race. Wouldn't surprise me if there were other improvements made to both the infrastructure and facilities around Albert Park in that time either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Grand_Prix_Circuit

Couldn't tell you off the top of my head but would be very surprised if nothing has happened since 1996 (the year of the first GP in Melbourne). Surely some of the roads around Albert Park have been redone in that time for example or perhaps new tram lines laid.

The point I was making is that generally big events mean improvements sometimes occur as a result or in anticipation.

Check out the wiki below - seems they rebuilt some of the roads prior to the inaugural race. Wouldn't surprise me if there were other improvements made to both the infrastructure and facilities around Albert Park in that time either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Grand_Prix_Circuit

I cannot think of a thing.

All of these massive events come with big promises. Nothing much ever happens.

If you can point me to the bigfooty soccer WC board I'll have a look for the articles in my old posts. Stefan Szymanski was the sports economist I was thinking of and his book Soccernomics gets a mention in the article I linked to earlier.

http://freakonomics.com/2010/07/19/should-the-u-s-really-try-to-host-another-world-cup/

Here are Stefan Szymanski's thoughts on the 2014 soccer WC...

Brazil’s government spent years promising that the World Cup would bring an economic bonanza. But, says Stefan Szymanski, economics professor at the University of Michigan, with whom I wrote Soccernomics, “A substantial, well-researched academic literature shows that if anything the reverse is true: hosting big sporting events is an economic burden.” Brazil spent about $11bn on new stadiums. About half of them are already white elephants. It would have been economically smarter to flush that sum down the toilet, because then at least the country wouldn’t need to spend millions maintaining pointless stadiums. Brazilians should be grateful their government was too incompetent to build most of the planned infrastructure. Projects to plonk new airport terminals in towns that didn’t need them, just for a month of football, were thankfully never executed.

There is a feel good factor in Brazil post soccer WC but they love soccer. I don't and a lot of other Australians don't either.

Seems the WC sub board has been taken down (but all the old threads are still there if you can remember which one it was in - there's plenty though!) Brazil is a funny case as they already had plenty of stadiums in place (due to being a football mad nation) so potentially may not have needed to spend $11b on new stadiums. It may have been viable to redevelop/renovate the existing ones (which may have kept costs down).

While I agree that there would collectively be more AFL, ARU and NRL fans combined than football/soccer - I think there would still be plenty who are either interested in the code or would become interested if the tournament took place on home soil. Given it's still 6 odd years away, there is still a lot of water (and another WC) to pass under the bridge either way.

Going off this article, the poll had nearly 93% saying they'd be happy for the other codes to take a disruption if Australia were to host it.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r-football-codes/story-fnii0fc4-1227266764468

Apart from the fact that Docklands was rejected by FIFA as non-compliant and was ruled out already due to the memorandum of understanding signed by the AFL, NRL and FFA meaning the former two competitions actually would be going ahead were the bid to be successful. There were no planned upgrades or modifications mooted for the MCG, nor are the necessary, major soccer matches have been held there without any changes to the ground.

Thats why there was even talk of having the government seize control of Docklands. There was definitely modifications planned for the MCG.

Soccer's ruling body, Football Federation Australia, has told Victoria's MCG it will require a $130 million taxpayer-funded overhaul to install rectangular seating in readiness for the world's biggest sporting event in 2018 or 2022.

Construction and removal of the temporary stands could take up to four months, potentially leaving the stadium without any AFL games until the finals.
ref: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...orld-cup-demands/story-fn4k63e5-1225807532950

Any successful bid would have affected the NRL and Super Rugby far more than the AFL due to the number of appropriate stadia available being for the rugby codes almost exclusive winter use and the government not willing to invest millions in association football only grounds that would not be in use, meaning many of those would be needing significant upgrades before being suitable. The A-League would have also likely had to cease for 2 months, meaning it's almost certain there would be no season whatsoever as they would never play in competition to the major codes and the grounds are unavailable anyway.

Major stadiums in WA, SA and Victoria are all AFL/Cricket grounds, but yes Im sure that NSW and QLD stadiums would have been far more impacted.

The world cup was proposed at a time when the aleague doesnt run, but the AFL and NRL competitions do.

2021 is years away... Upgrade AAMI Park to 40,000, give SA money to build a Rectangle stadium here, upgrade Suncorp, play at ANZ stadium take the new stadium in Perth, or upgrade a stadium there to 40k then only one more stadium is needed. by 2021 AFL will own Etihad? they could sell that to FIFA for the month and earn a mint!

Using whose money?

pot kettle black.

You must admit it is wildly optimistic... to tear down the roof of AAMI Park and rebuild it with an extra few thousand seats, and build a 40K rectangular stadium in Adelaide and another one in Perth. Wouldn't get much change out of $1 billion for that, and the at least two of them would be white elephants.

You must admit it is wildly optimistic... to tear down the roof of AAMI Park and rebuild it with an extra few thousand seats, and build a 40K rectangular stadium in Adelaide and another one in Perth. Wouldn't get much change out of $1 billion for that, and the at least two of them would be white elephants.
yep, no arguments here.

Not according to the numerous post on here and threads elsewhere.

1. You never know. The Sydney 2000 games we were never going to get. China was just to big. But.....
2. Fair enough. You don't like the game. Your choice.

your seriously comparing the olympic bid to the world cup bid?

china who were in the middle of a major crackdown efforts on dissenters, tibet and taiwan issues vs australia of which we was considered a good candidate and had high level of recognition among nations that back the OIC due to our high level of performance during the event and entire selling point was an iconic city with all the touristy bullshit vs a smog filled city just after us was criticised for its pollution levels?

compared to the world cup which see's us as the soccer backwater we are, who threw together a bid at the last minute and were dumb enough to go hard after the one country who is hated by most of those that run FIFA.

we were actually a great candidate for the olympics yes many questioned the bid, but it was leagues apart from the world cup bid of which as seen by one bribed vote shows we were never a chance.

just look at the difference, olympics we beat one of the economic power houses in world with the largest population who have been extremely competitive in the olympics. world cup we lost to a nation with a horrendous human rights record which which still has "forced labour" a country so irrelevant most people probably couldn't find it on a map if they tried. who's ranking at time of winning was #100 something and haven't even qualified for the world cup ever.

people who love soccer look at the situation with rose coloured glasses we we're never a shot at hosting we pissed away $46 million dollars chasing a dream half the country didn't want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL and NRL do not control event scheduling in this country, despite their clear impression that they do.

If the government wants it, it will happen regardless of their opinion or objections.
The government wants lots of thinks it doesn't get. Wanting things, not getting them and ending up with egg on their face is just about governments chief talent.

It's soccer...They just assume someone else (usually the government) will pay :rolleyes:

So who paid for subiaco or Adelaide oval, the blue pixies?

Also out of interest who paid for the majority of your clubs training facility?

Isn't it slightly hypocritical to slag off a sport for looking to govt to pay for stadia, when your own sport has probably benefited more from public infrastructure investments to their stadia and facilities than any other in the country?

So who paid for subiaco or Adelaide oval, the blue pixies?

Also out of interest who paid for the majority of your clubs training facility?

Isn't it slightly hypocritical to slag off a sport for looking to govt to pay for stadia, when your own sport has probably benefited more from public infrastructure investments to their stadia and facilities than any other in the country?

Those stadium investments come with long term commitments by the AFL that make them viable. Not one off events. And those benefits come with strings attached -

One of the conditions of the Metricon contract is a 20 year lease (and the AFL paid millions into it), Adelaide Oval requires all Port and Adelaide home games to be played there for around 20 years (and the AFL paid $5 million into it), and the new Perth Oval will do the same for the Perth teams. The AFL pays millions per year for MCG redevelopments since the Southern Stand was built in the early 90s. This is what pays for those stadiums, not short term events.

The taxpayer recieves no money from FIFA events - no ticket sales, no tv money - it all ends up back at FIFA.

Those stadium investments come with long term commitments by the AFL that make them viable. Not one off events. And those benefits come with strings attached -

One of the conditions of the Metricon contract is a 20 year lease (and the AFL paid millions into it), Adelaide Oval requires all Port and Adelaide home games to be played there for around 20 years (and the AFL paid $5 million into it), and the new Perth Oval will do the same for the Perth teams. The AFL pays millions per year for MCG redevelopments since the Southern Stand was built in the early 90s. This is what pays for those stadiums, not short term events.

The taxpayer recieves no money from FIFA events - no ticket sales, no tv money - it all ends up back at FIFA.

I do not dispute any of that, I just think it's hypocritical to complain about the ffa wanting the govt to pay for stadia when the afl has made a fine art of it (and the clubs too)

I do not dispute any of that, I just think it's hypocritical to complain about the ffa wanting the govt to pay for stadia when the afl has made a fine art of it (and the clubs too)
Agree.
Swan Street is only stadium built for the sport with long term commitment if some people wish to clutch at straws. With upgrades to Perth Oval and Parramatta Stadium but with both A-League and NRL/ARU tenants requesting it.

Metricon Stadium, Adelaide Oval, Sydney Showgrounds and the many GWS training grounds, New Perth Stadium, SCG upgrade, Simmonds Stadium upgrade.

You know this how?

Well none of Adelaide United, Perth Glory or the Western Force are anywhere near regularly selling out their current grounds so building 40,000 seater stadiums (as alternatives to Adelaide Oval and the Burswood Stadium) would be white elephants

Hypothetical new rectangular stadiums in Adelaide and Perth would be

Do we even have plans and costs for these yet?

Seems people are getting very angry and very excited about something that is barely a notion yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back