Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

The forgotten men - the umpires. How come they can't exert a bit more authority over how the games are played? They only seem to get involved in matters of dissent, or running on the pitch. They must hear all sorts of stuff that is likely to escalate tensions between teams. Can't they stop it, or at least report it after the day's play? Maybe we should have microphones as well as cameras, every player miked up :drunk:.

The umpires have become nothing more than coat hangers. So many of them are ex players. They know how quickly things can get out of hand, but seem so reluctant to put an early stop to so much of this garbage that goes on out in the middle. This goes for sledging and slow over rates. Umpires used to be far more proactive. (No, not everything was better in my day) !

Maybe it is as they lose authority with the DRS, they feel less authoritative in general.

Jonathan Trott

@Trotty

Goodbye David
1f44b-1f3fb.png

8:20 PM - Mar 28, 2018

From all of the responses from old foes of Warner, this is actually pretty reasonable.

sponsors are going to bail only to take advantage of CA, in say 18 months down the track they'll come back, whereby they'll bend CA over a barrell and there'll be nothing CA can do about it. Funds are going to be thin for a while.

The unanswerable question is how many have bailed because our two best batsmen are now out and given Smith playing an amazing innings kept us in matches, now Australia will lose and the crowds will evaporate.

Ok. Poor choice of words. I should have said when Warner started the abuse. The guy is a flog and has deserved everything he has got.
De **** obviously shot way below the belt with his comments, and I know Warner is no angel on the field, and he no doubt would go ok with the banter. But I'm curious to know what the abuse is that you say Warner started?...

Last edited:
Well if that is case then I would say that the players are disconnected with their fans if that is the type of reaction they expected.

I don't know if I like the "in the heat of the moment" decision. They had discussed this even before getting onto the field.

I ask you this question: even if they expected a similar punishment, why would they risk getting caught and in the process disrespect not only themselves, but their fans, the greats that came before them, and the country they represented?

Despite ball tampering being considered a minor offence by the ICC, it is still cheating. I'm sure they knew this seeing as it is their job. Everyone knows this.
I don’t think the genuine cricket fans are the ones kicking up this massive stink about it. Look what they did was wrong but most cricket fans would’ve been happy with a few games ban and loss of captaincy. Social media has blown this up so much it’s not funny.

You’ve got hypocritical ex players desperate to get their word in. Think it was Warne yesterday saying that they don’t really have a right to be taking the moral high ground considering most of the guys having a go have done similar things in the past.

Politians getting involved just because they want to be seen as though they give a shit. It’s just a circus. The way Smith is being carried around you’d think he’d just murdered someone. Everyone’s just jumping on the political bandwagon because it’s what Australia has become when there’s something to be pissed about. Political correctness gone mad again, because we “have to set an example” “what am I going to tell my kids about what’s happened” etc.

People forget that these guys have lives and families too. I’m sure everyone’s done something in the heat of the moment that they regret. The current Australia just loves to get on someone’s back and grind them into the dirt so there’s no possible way back. They sandpapered a ball for **** sake, not done for matchfixing. It’ll blow over in a few weeks and the people who were so vocal now won’t give two shits, half of them don’t support cricket, would’ve found something else to jump all over.

Not sure it's been mentioned this is a hot topic and I ain't scrolling through pages. How about a rule where the players get the ball back as quick as possible to the bowler. If there is tampering it's on the bowler. Also would help with over rates.

I'd said in a previous post that ball should be thrown back to the umpire at the end of each over for quick visual inspection before he hands to the bowler.

You'd soon pick up if any adverse 'damage' to the ball.

Sure it does. They are - according to the CA - getting such severe punishments because a) they transgressed the rules; and b) there has been public outrage.

In every other case we expect the punishment to fit the crime, in line with how it has historically been treated and with how the rules, as stated, say it should be treated.

But in this case we are throwing such principles out the window because public outrage trumps all.
Can you give me an example of a specific infringement that you think is suddenly going to attract a massive ban in the context of what has just happened?

Because as far as I can see, you are talking a nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of posters are bemoaning the heavy sanctions applied to these players but what they fail to acknowledge is the overall damage & cost to the game here in Australia they have inflicted :

This is not 'pie & tea money', this is big bucks and a lot of it trickles down to the many lower levels of the game for development etc. If this money is removed permanently (albeit in the short-term) then everyone in the game suffers because certain players at the top have thought they were above reproach.

These sanctions should hit them hard financially as it appears sponsors are severing their ties with them for individual sponsorships & endorsements. The players have lived the high life recently so I doubt they will be on Struggle Street anytime soon though.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/com...ver-ball-tampering/ar-AAvdTYa?ocid=spartandhp
Sponsors are only cutting ties because of the public outrage and the fact that we’re probably going to start losing quite a bit without smith there, not because they necessarily think what they did warrants a loss of sponsorship.

I remember during the drug saga thinking I would never be like one of those standbyhird foamers when a team I supported got into the shit.

I think I’ve been true to that and I accept the bans, and think we went above and beyond what others have been caught doing, then still lied about it.

So many on here would of been wanting life bans is this were poms complaining 12 months was too soft.

Many of you need to get your blinkers off, this is a chance for a new start (need Boof to piss off too)

Sponsors are only cutting ties because of the public outrage, not because they necessarily think what they did warrants a loss of sponsorship.
They bought in for an ashes series, now they will get less 'value' for the sponsorship dollars and have a convenient excuse to terminate the deal.

They all use any leverage they are afforded.

A lot of posters are bemoaning the heavy sanctions applied to these players but what they fail to acknowledge is the overall damage & cost to the game here in Australia they have inflicted :

Magellan obviously decided they saw an out for paying the additional years sponsorship. No other reason. Pathetic conduct by them.

I remember during the drug saga thinking I would never be like one of those standbyhird foamers when a team I supported got into the shit.

I think I’ve been true to that and I accept the bans, and think we went above and beyond what others have been caught doing, then still lied about it.

So many on here would of been wanting life bans is this were poms complaining 12 months was too soft.

Many of you need to get your blinkers off, this is a chance for a new start (need Boof to piss off too)
Liked for the use of foamers.

The unanswerable question is how many have bailed because our two best batsmen are now out and given Smith playing an amazing innings kept us in matches, now Australia will lose and the crowds will evaporate.

With India coming out this Summer the crowds should be reasonable. Plus there are so many rusted on fans, by the first test comes around they'll want to go maybe just to see how the team respond. Its for this reason why i'm tuning in tomorrow night.

With India coming out this Summer the crowds should be reasonable. Plus there are so many rusted on fans, by the first test comes around they'll want to go maybe just to see how the team respond. Its for this reason why i'm tuning in tomorrow night.
Hopefully this turns into a case of short term pain for long term gain. If the culture of team can be turned around, I'm prepared to cop this hit.

If Essendon can survive crowds and membership intact, Australian cricket can survive this which will end up being a small blip in comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back