Australian Idol

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2002
Point Gellibrand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can't believe this....

I think I am going to get hooked on this rubbish.

The judges are nasty, but it's kind of addictive to see what insult they will come up with next!

So fresh and original - so cruel! :)

Yeah i think i will get hooked on it as well, there is some people with some pretty good voices, but oh my god, some people have no idea, im not saying im any better, because i know im not, but anyway, good luck to them.

Yeah it's not bad. Problem for me though is that I kinda feel I've seen all this before. Looks pretty much the same as Popstars, minus Jackie O (which is probably a good thing actually).

Bit dissappointed with the 16 year old lot though. Our age group has been horribly let down by these fame-seeking teeny-boppers. Where are the genuine singers? At school-choir practise or something?

This is vile, vile television. Shame on you. Shame on you all.

I'm sure you will all purchase the one and only single the winner shall release.

It is all too predictable.

What exactly qualifies the winner of this contest to be given a recording contract? Can they actually write a song? No. They will get a record deal handed to them purely because they won a popularity contest voted on by a bunch of teenagers.

Okay, so there is *some* bastion of talent required - after all, you do have to impress that one bastard of a judge.

But, this singer will have never had to perform in a stuffy, smoky run-down pub in Clifton Hill on a Tuesday night to an audience of 6 people and get paid nothing.

Or on a good night, 50% of the door, less what they paid for a sound guy and the bar tab.

They will never have to shell out thousands of dollars of their own money for studio time, producers, engineers, CD packaging, CD artwork, photography, marketing, etc..

They will never have to beat down the door of radio stations trying to get themselves heard along with a zillion others.

A couple of crack songwriters will write an album of formulaic pop singles, put all of the tracks together on their computer and let them gather dust until they find a winner to come in and put down vocal tracks.

It doesn't matter what the song is, or who is singing it. All of this is already a given, because the TV show is the launching vehicle and people will buy the record no matter who is on it because they will be fans of the show.

The finished album will be hyped like there is no tomorrow. In the first week, the thing will get 100% oversaturation of radio and record company promotion. You will hear it on Fox FM and TT once every 30 minutes.

I just hate this. I'm tired of seeing people getting free rides into this industry.

Only caught a bit of it but they had the lead singer from Loop on it who sings at the Deen on Saturday nights (she also was on Ship to Shore), and also the bloke from Airbag.

It's all run to a formula. It looks just like the UK version but with different accents. Take one chick, a nasty bloke and a not so nasty bloke and throw naive hopefuls in front of them to be torn to shreds, with the winner getting the right to make cash for the record company.

Nothing original or spontaneous about it. The original Mr Nasty, Simon Cowell in the UK, was actually a nasty little recording industry man with his pants pulled up far too high. This lot are just copying the formula - even the actions and expressions. It's not only crap, it's recycled crap and I left the room after minutes of watching it.

So fresh and original?

Which part? The ad breaks?

Fresh & original? It's the same as Poptarts except they just want one person. It's another idea from overseas revamped for Australia.

Why not start up The Gong Show again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im hoping some of these 'hopefulls' make it on to fame, but as long as the following:-

I hope the seriousness and dedication of those who missed out is recognised by other industry professionals and their individual talent is allowed to show through........and they overshadow the Australian idol chosen.

I hope he/she who does win rejects the 'contrived' path set for them, spits the dummy, and gets recognised by other industry heavy weights and again is allowed to hone their individual talent.......and the executives and companies standing to benefit from "Australian Idol" lose a **** load of money because of it........

I hope that the person who does win is someone who has been struggling for someone to recognise their talent in a dodgy smoke-filled local pub and not a flash in the pan - and hence a rags to riches happy ending......

As for most of the applicants auditioning last night? Was just like watching Red faces again - god i miss watching Hey Hey on a Saturday night before going out......

I watched SOME of it the other night, but I'm sure I'll become addicted too because I love music and singers and all. :D And I found it especially interesting with a few of the guys they auditioned who can REALLY sing!!!!!!!!!

Then again, I might resist watching, like I did with the first 2 series of Big Brother. :p

Couldn't really give a fat rats clacker about anyone on there with 'talent', i just enjoy seeing these miserable teens who go into the audition room actually believing they have what it takes only to have dicko rip out their heart then stomp on it.
The best one IMO was the girl who sounded like she was singing like someone possessed by the devil, only to have Marcia and Dicko burst out laughing in her face...priceless

Weve all pretty much seen it before with Popstars.

The only good weeks are the first couple where the crap auditions get aired and everyone has a big laugh at all the crap people.

Then the rest is just plain boredom.

I loved all the 16 year old girls throwing tantrums because they didnt get in.

We saw how far Bardot and Scandulous went (ie. nowhere) and the winner of this will go nowhere as well. They will get found out, like the other two groups did, when they have to write their own songs for their second record.

the sad thing is the winner will make pittence, while the record company and their manager etc will be raking it in......some classic people in the first show tho, some priceless moments.

How can they be finding an Australian Idol with Marcia Hines as one of the judges. Never heard any of her songs! (Plus she isn't even Australian)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back