Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a ticket to Endgame in December. My daughter was born this week so I'd written off going to wrestling shows for a while but that 3:30 Sunday time slot is a winner.
I would not have realised that if not for this post and rocked up on the Saturday night...

It does now make me question if I get tickets or not. The Saturday timeslot is way more convenient...

It's like Renegades, and I have no problem other than their quiet audiences sucking the life out of shows. BUT, no one even bothered to ask the question why they opened up the company after selling MCW. Just stupid pandering crap, "I cRiEd OvEr LoChIeS pRoMo" nonsense. Even if there was an easy question, like did your team miss wrestling and want to get back into it, or such, something leading. Zero.

I can answer (some of this) for you.

Members of the team that runs Renegades, also have a part in running Wrestlerock (and another promotion in Queensland), whether that be owner, promoter, or creative - they all have a part. They have always run shows, so it's not like they missed wrestling - they were already doing it.

"They opened the company after selling MCW." There was no 'they'. One person owned MCW. One. The reasons behind this person doing that - are known to them and entirely their decision, no one is entitled to that information.

From my view though, I will say it was around the time of the pandemic, along with other things going on - and it was exhausting, like soul-destroying exhaustion. I thought I was done and I am sure this person felt that way too.

After the pandemic, there was an opportunity to partner with a great company, the team had dealings with this company before and have a great stakeholder relationship. Jointly two people decided to take up that opportunity with the aim of creating and developing something a bit different on offer and something audiences would love. Is it there yet? No - but that's the great thing about wrestling - you can keep evolving your offering until you find a formula that works for everyone - talent, fans, community.

From your post history, I get the feeling you think there is something sinister behind the company's existence - and it wasn't and hasn't.

In my (too long) experience, this is how wrestling evolves. MCW was born out of it being bought from ACW. PWA Melbourne was born out of people wanting something different from PCW. Renegades was born because an opportunity presented itself with a company that wanted to give wrestling a go. You've been around a while - you know this - and seen this first-hand too.

There hasn't been any pandering, but rather a focus on doing their own thing and trying to get it right so that at the forefront it's a safe space for talent/support staff to contribute and those contributions to feel valued.

.... also I enjoy Lochy's promos and I'll cry if I want to. :tearsofjoy:

I can answer (some of this) for you.

Members of the team that runs Renegades, also have a part in running Wrestlerock (and another promotion in Queensland), whether that be owner, promoter, or creative - they all have a part. They have always run shows, so it's not like they missed wrestling - they were already doing it.

"They opened the company after selling MCW." There was no 'they'. One person owned MCW. One. The reasons behind this person doing that - are known to them and entirely their decision, no one is entitled to that information.

From my view though, I will say it was around the time of the pandemic, along with other things going on - and it was exhausting, like soul-destroying exhaustion. I thought I was done and I am sure this person felt that way too.

After the pandemic, there was an opportunity to partner with a great company, the team had dealings with this company before and have a great stakeholder relationship. Jointly two people decided to take up that opportunity with the aim of creating and developing something a bit different on offer and something audiences would love. Is it there yet? No - but that's the great thing about wrestling - you can keep evolving your offering until you find a formula that works for everyone - talent, fans, community.

From your post history, I get the feeling you think there is something sinister behind the company's existence - and it wasn't and hasn't.

In my (too long) experience, this is how wrestling evolves. MCW was born out of it being bought from ACW. PWA Melbourne was born out of people wanting something different from PCW. Renegades was born because an opportunity presented itself with a company that wanted to give wrestling a go. You've been around a while - you know this - and seen this first-hand too.

There hasn't been any pandering, but rather a focus on doing their own thing and trying to get it right so that at the forefront it's a safe space for talent/support staff to contribute and those contributions to feel valued.

.... also I enjoy Lochy's promos and I'll cry if I want to. :tearsofjoy:
Rhi summed things up pretty well and I can definitely vouch for how important she was to MCW, Renegades and wrestling in general.

I’m not sure if I’m misreading, but is there implication that something was shady about the formation of Renegades Of Wrestling???

In terms of Rengades, neither Mikey or myself had any ties to any company, nor any obligations or “non competes”.
I hope that clears up that silly speculation.

As for MCW, Mikey worked really hard and poured a lot of money into it. He chose to sell it in 2020 for his own reasons, and should be very proud of what he achieved.

I know personally, I’m super proud of what I achieved as head of creative alongside Mikey and Jay Andrews, who was head of talent relations, from late 2013 up until the final show of 2019 when I departed.

We had a great team and we all look back at it fondly.

As for the new team heading MCW, they have done a fantastic job of constantly running impressive shows at Thornbury coming out of the pandemic.

Renegades is still very much a work in progress, but we have had a lot of fun and done some really cool stuff.

If you feel a podcast has missed asking me something as they got so caught up in fawning over Lochy’s (excellent) promos, well here I am.
Ask away? 🤷‍♂️

Shiiiit.

I've been sick for days, my back's seized up, I've got the worst headache/neck pain of my life - I think I'm going to miss my first mcw show since returning from my road trip 18 months ago :(

Might go have a nap and see whether I wake up any better.

Mate you've been what seems like close to dying for months but still going everywhere. Have you thought about just resting?

I don't even remember what resting looks like at this stage. I'm always sick. I'm always in pain. This back flare up, which typically happens once or twice a year, is the worst I've had in years.

I tell you what, I'll be filthy if the Ichiban Sweet Boys vs Natural Classics match is the semi-main. I would've wandered down at half time, cos that match, plus the main and Jarvis vs Delta, are all I'm really desperate to see, and I think there's a chance that all happens after intermission...

Problem is, I think they are just as likely to go on first as they are to go on 2nd last.

Just spent some time on twitter/X for the first time in a couple of days.

Crazy seeing the ongoing defence of DMDU from some people despite them ripping off Kyle's family.

I'm pretty sure that DMDU's final devotees are going to be mark wrestlers who can't get work anywhere else, wrestling each other in a no-ring shed show for a one-camera shoot on an iphone, still breaking cinder blocks over other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhi summed things up pretty well and I can definitely vouch for how important she was to MCW, Renegades and wrestling in general.

I’m not sure if I’m misreading, but is there implication that something was shady about the formation of Renegades Of Wrestling???

In terms of Rengades, neither Mikey or myself had any ties to any company, nor any obligations or “non competes”.
I hope that clears up that silly speculation.

As for MCW, Mikey worked really hard and poured a lot of money into it. He chose to sell it in 2020 for his own reasons, and should be very proud of what he achieved.

I know personally, I’m super proud of what I achieved as head of creative alongside Mikey and Jay Andrews, who was head of talent relations, from late 2013 up until the final show of 2019 when I departed.

We had a great team and we all look back at it fondly.

As for the new team heading MCW, they have done a fantastic job of constantly running impressive shows at Thornbury coming out of the pandemic.

Renegades is still very much a work in progress, but we have had a lot of fun and done some really cool stuff.

If you feel a podcast has missed asking me something as they got so caught up in fawning over Lochy’s (excellent) promos, well here I am.
Ask away? 🤷‍♂️
Not shady and I do go to all renegades shows.

But it's always made me wonder why sell it and get back into business so fast. Who knows you could have a deal with MCW behind the scenes to work with talent or such.

I see it all the time in business where people do it and I just wondered now so much yourself but how Mikey in particular justifies selling something, then setting up direct competiton straight away. I know it always sucks on my end.

Who knows you may have that blessing from them and working with them. I guess here's the chance to ask?

Not shady and I do go to all renegades shows.

But it's always made me wonder why sell it and get back into business so fast. Who knows you could have a deal with MCW behind the scenes to work with talent or such.

I see it all the time in business where people do it and I just wondered now so much yourself but how Mikey in particular justifies selling something, then setting up direct competiton straight away. I know it always sucks on my end.

Who knows you may have that blessing from them and working with them. I guess here's the chance to ask?
My understanding, and ill tread carefully as I’m not sure about NDA’s etc, is that Mikey fully intended on remaining with the company after the sale and working with them in a few different roles.

MCW’s new ownership chose to go in a different direction which left Mikey with no active involvement in wrestling really.
He has worked with PCW since then in some form and also Pro League in Queensland and of course Wrestlerock.

With MCW no longer in his world, he was presented an opportunity to do something with DAL and coincidentally I was feeling the creative itch again.

So we agreed to work together and Renegades was formed.

I can understand how it would look like from the outside with how he sold and restarted, but Mikey loved MCW and as a friend of his, I can tell you it was hard for him to have to move on.

Now he may feel I misrepresented him, but that’s how it seemed from my point of view.

I did end up going along tonight - I took a bunch of pain killers and I macro dosed about a day's worth of medicinal cannabis in the hour before the show. I was really desperate to go!

I'm so glad I went. That Delta vs Jarvis match man, that was incredible - the story-telling, the call backs to their previous matches... it was everything that I love about wrestling.

I loved the Classics vs TMDK for completely different reasons too... I think both those matches go on the MOTY shortlist. The friend I was mean to be staying with in Sydney next weekend screwed me over (2nd time this year, although I couldn't be mad last time) and is himself going away, and I was seriously reconsidering the trip. Considering how much I popped for Robbie and Fujita though... I'm just going to have to dump the $1000 on a weekend in Sydney to see ZSJ.

Another real nice surprise if you're a geek like me? I don't know if it's coincidence, whether it's because it's "tournament season" in PWA and WrestleRampage this month (I hope that's what Feb's anniversary weekend is), or whether it's taken wrestlers a few months to sort out contingencies after WrestlerMerch disappeared - but it was great seeing a bunch of new tshirts at the merch table tonight. My decision to cut my PWCrate subscription had nothing to do with Australian wrestling, especially given the old stock that we were seeing on our merch tables, but man it made it much easier to blow some coin tonight.

I really hope, given that I'm going to Sydney next week, that they release tshirts for "tournament season". I notice Mick had a new one tonight and he's not in Colosseum - Delta's tshirt was new tonight I think, while Emman had a new one, and they're both in Colosseum next week. I really hope that any or all of Ricky South, Jess Troy and Cherry Stephens have new shirts, they're my favourite 3 Australian wrestlers that I don't have a tshirt of.

I love this tshirt I've bought tonight, and it might be the least wrestling tshirt I've ever seen. I had the Delta shirt in my hand ready to pay for as well... but I just couldn't escape the fact that it was a super ugly shirt.

(The only slight bummer was seeing the Junior Tag League dates after I got home tonight, and the Sweet Boys won't be at Colosseum next week. So it may be the case that I never actually get the rep the Sweet Boys :'( )

Attachments

• IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
My understanding, and ill tread carefully as I’m not sure about NDA’s etc, is that Mikey fully intended on remaining with the company after the sale and working with them in a few different roles.

MCW’s new ownership chose to go in a different direction which left Mikey with no active involvement in wrestling really.
He has worked with PCW since then in some form and also Pro League in Queensland and of course Wrestlerock.

With MCW no longer in his world, he was presented an opportunity to do something with DAL and coincidentally I was feeling the creative itch again.

So we agreed to work together and Renegades was formed.

I can understand how it would look like from the outside with how he sold and restarted, but Mikey loved MCW and as a friend of his, I can tell you it was hard for him to have to move on.

Now he may feel I misrepresented him, but that’s how it seemed from my point of view.

Tell me mate, the failing microphones at the start of every show - I think it's been the last 3 Renegades shows now (incl GCW in Melbourne) - is it a bit? I'm convinced it has to be a bit. It can't fail at the start of every show and then be fine for the rest of it 3 shows in a row. It's an in joke with production, right?

Delta might be the most over wrestler I’ve seen in MCW, and I’ve been routinely attending shows since 2017/18. She has been used perfectly. That match last night was great (thanks in no small part to Jarvis, who is absolutely tremendous).

I’ll be staggered if someone of note doesn’t see her and try to sign her overseas at some point. She is a star here and I reckon she could be one on a bigger platform abroad.

I was a bit lukewarm on the large influx of new talent MCW brought in too, mainly because they’re unfamiliar to me. But credit to them, because guys like Nick Armstrong are great.

Last nights show was super. They are really keeping Slex strong for his match with Buddy which is great.

Delta Jarvis was just a top piece of business.

Gotta say the Filips doing the Too Sweet to zero reaction was amazing. The whole thing has 4 months before it falls to bits, so best to distance themselves now.

Tell me mate, the failing microphones at the start of every show - I think it's been the last 3 Renegades shows now (incl GCW in Melbourne) - is it a bit? I'm convinced it has to be a bit. It can't fail at the start of every show and then be fine for the rest of it 3 shows in a row. It's an in joke with production, right?
It’s a hell of a rib if it is, as I certainly don’t love it lol

Not running the same venues regularly and changing production crews leads to plenty of gremlins which I HATE.

There have been plenty of challenges trying to figure out where and how Renegades fits into the market.
From my perspective, I enjoy telling longer form story arcs.
So I’ve had to adjust my booking style accordingly and work on my patience, both with that and logistics.

I popped on the Impact Down Under tour on NITV and it'a pretty cool to see something like The VeloCities vs. Natural Classics on regular TV.

Sucks that the feed quality is still "live stream feed" quality because it's quite jarring switching from HD to a computer quality

The Gift segment sucked the air right out of the room and took and bit for the 5v5 to get it back.
One of those sacrifice now for Thorpe getting over later. At least the kept riffing when the mics didnt work. It was because they got too far from the reciever on the stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back