Ben Simmons - Will he end up the greatest Aussie Baller of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't worry about his length. I was just taking a look at Jaylen Brown's measurements. From 2012 through to 2015, his wingspan was all over the place. Started 2012 at 6' 4" with a 6' 10.5" WS. Dropped to a 6' 8"WS a year later, grew again to 7'0.5"WS.

BEN's WS was measured at 6'11.75" but most websites are rounding down for him. Actually most in the know knew Ben was 6'10" last year yet it was claimed he was 6'8" after he was measured at the Nike skills academy. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if they screwed up his measurements slightly in regards to his WS and standing reach. Judging on the eye test alone, he hardly has T-rex arms and most blogs claimed he had a pretty good WS based on footage alone before those measurements came out. Now everyone's freaking out about it while Skal Labissiere,, at 7'0" tall and the new projected number 1, only has a WS of 7'1.5", only an inch more than Jaylen who is 6'7".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also nice seeing Deng Adel get some more recognition. Has been moved up to 5 star status and is scout.com's 23rd ranked player in the 2015 class. Just imagine if we end up with 3 first rounders in the same class. I doubt Deng pulls a one and done though.
I personally think our next big prospect after those guys won't be Isaac Humphies (though I do think he's a decent prospect and will make the league) but Will McDowell White. (That should probably be reserved for the Aussie prospect thread I suppose)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben is looking just as good as advertised. I know it is only exhibition games but if he can play like this through the College season he will definitely go number 1.

His ball handling for such a big player is exceptional. I also love how he always is aggressive and looking to take the game on. Can't wait till he is in the NBA. He will eventually be Australia's highest paid and probably most well known athlete in my view. The level of attention he will bring to basketball in Australia will be unprecedented. I mean, I know it is free, but when was the last time Hisense Arena was full for a local basketball game not involving the Boomers? That is all due to Ben and even if they sold tickets I think the result would have been the same.

Can't wait to see him against the best in the NCAA and then the NBA.

I mean, I know it is free, but when was the last time Hisense Arena was full for a local basketball game not involving the Boomers? That is all due to Ben and even if they sold tickets I think the result would have been the same.
Melbourne United had 10300 to their last game of the NBL season back in February (there were only 8646 there last night). I guess that doesn't fit the 'OMG NBL IS DEAD' narrative though ;)

LSU looks a very average squad. Can't help but think he'd have been better to go with a better program than that.

He's got a strange habit of driving to his left and then trying to switch the ball into his right hand to shoot with, which will get him blocked a lot as he's coming right back into the defence. Need to lose that habit.

LSU looks a very average squad. Can't help but think he'd have been better to go with a better program than that.

He's got a strange habit of driving to his left and then trying to switch the ball into his right hand to shoot with, which will get him blocked a lot as he's coming right back into the defence. Need to lose that habit.
Very good point. I noticed that as well. I think he will get blocked a few times early and then adjust, probably just shoot left handed as he can shoot just as well with either hand I think.

If he keeps doing it though it could be a problem but I suspect he will learn not to.

That game was pathetic on Saturday night.. Zero energy. Poor play. Was pretty painful
I think Ben admitted even he felt tired and very flat which was unfortunate. Probably played too many games in a short period of time including travel. Will take time to get used to that sort of thing I suspect.

Watched Simmons play today on ESPN2 and you can just tell he's a cut above the rest, despite it only being his second game of College basketball in the US. I'm absolutely convinced he is going number 1 in the 2016 NBA draft. I can't wait to see him pull on the green and gold next year in Rio!

I know he played a bit of junior footy in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Does anyone know which team he supported in the AFL?

I think I found my answer...

uPfMiU6.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Andrew Bogut also agrees with most of the assessments in this thread that Ben will eventually go down as the greatest basketball player in Australian history when his career is all said and done.

All this talk about his outside shot is also a bit of a red herring in my view. All kids coming through have some part of their game to work on otherwise they would be considered finished products. Lebron, Blake Griffin, Derrick Favors and many others had significant work to do on their outside shot when they came into the league and when you get the sort of development that NBA teams have he will definitely improve quite substantially. His shot mechanics don't look too bad to me and his free throw shooting is pretty good so I suspect it won't be that hard to fix and when he does then everyone will have to look out because I think he will be unstoppable.

Last edited:
Looks like Andrew Bogut also agrees with most of the assessments in this thread that Ben will eventually go down as the greatest basketball player in Australian history when his career is all said and done.

All this talk about his outside shot is also a bit of a red hearing in my view. All kids coming through have some part of their game to work on otherwise they would be considered finished products. Lebron, Blake Griffin, Derrick Favors and many others had significant work to do on their outside shot when they came into the league and when you get the sort of development that NBA teams have he will definitely improve quite substantially. His shot mechanics don't look too bad to me and his free throw shooting is pretty good so I suspect it won't be that hard to fix and when he does then everyone will have to look out because I think he will be unstoppable.

kobe doesnt have a great outside shot, but has managed to forge a career. he will improve and become a force as you said.

bogut did say that this morning to andrew gaze. lol.

Doubt he supported the Dees. I played at the same club as both of them in under 12s and he would've continued playing with Petracca in high level basketball throughout the years, hence the connection.

Bit off topic but ages ago I randomly stumbled across a high school dunk contest featuring petracca in a Denver mutombo jersey. Figured petracca likely played a bit of junior ball.

Doubt he supported the Dees. I played at the same club as both of them in under 12s and he would've continued playing with Petracca in high level basketball throughout the years, hence the connection.

Yeah but he could still be a Dees supporter. I'm going to assume he is until proven otherwise haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back