Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not enough scrutiny has been placed on Jeff Brennan and the powers to be at South Bendigo for what they have done to that club. They turned it from a fource the past decade to a team that WILL NOT WIN A GAME this season. (mark my words). Anyone on here involved with the club able to offer an opinion or explanation on where it is at?

Sandhurst picking up players from minor leagues, Storm gathering ex AFL talent and quality players from major leagues (more to be announced ive been told). Season 2015 will be a two horse race once again but I can't see the Dragons closing the gap.
Was it just Brennan or was he left with little room to move from previous coaches/administration
Interesting to see Strath in 2-3 years time when the money dries up
Speaking to a South Committee member the other day and he said this year is about clearing the decks and getting all things cleaned up same as Flat did a few years back. Then work with what you have and be sustainable in what you spend...fingers crossed Harry Trott will be good for them
Not so sure that the gap is widening any further would imagine Gizzy will be there abouts, can't discount Square although very quite
Eaglehawk look to be a better list as will the Flat. Kyneton will be tougher as topped up with a bit of class but depth may still be an issue
Marys Burra and Castlemaine are the unknowns but hope they at least competitive at least on their home patch

Was it just Brennan or was he left with little room to move from previous coaches/administration
Interesting to see Strath in 2-3 years time when the money dries up
Speaking to a South Committee member the other day and he said this year is about clearing the decks and getting all things cleaned up same as Flat did a few years back. Then work with what you have and be sustainable in what you spend...fingers crossed Harry Trott will be good for them
Not so sure that the gap is widening any further would imagine Gizzy will be there abouts, can't discount Square although very quite
Eaglehawk look to be a better list as will the Flat. Kyneton will be tougher as topped up with a bit of class but depth may still be an issue
Marys Burra and Castlemaine are the unknowns but hope they at least competitive at least on their home patch

You would have thought he had a good understanding where they were placed when he took the job and left maryborough. They were competitive in the first few rounds as well.

In regards to footy grounds, some may have better facilities than the qeo but it is a prestigious ground and just because it has a heritage overlay on the site doesn't mean it can't be redeveloped. Developing a facility in Epsom would not have the same vibe to it, it would be like what football park was to Adelaide look at the success of redeveloping the Adelaide oval has had. By south playing and training at Harry trott will mean less games at the qeo and will be better for the surface as well as the gold, after seeing ballarat set to get some afl games in the next couple of years why couldn't the qeo

any players thinking off coming to playing geelong gdfl money neg and coaching role avilb if interested

Idealistic good willed dribble. I know for every 1 supporter the Gold had 10 others were against it. What you have just stated is 6 players out of a list of 30+ are good enough to go to another VFL club. Thats probably about right.
The other comment about the Roosters and comparing them to the Gold is so inaccurate all I could do was laugh.
Nobody has been able to hit me with any mind blowing facts and the only time VFL in Bendigo has been successful is by being an AFL clubs 2nds team with a small intake of locals. Hence the point raised that 6 have been picked up at other clubs is probably the average of what has been done previously. Trying to provide 22 local ( and 9 lived in melbourne) part time players cant compete. We have seen that for the last few years. Does everyone forget the average losing margin for the last 2 years? Because 1 player has been rookied its now all about development. If its all about development the players need to go to the best facilities and programs which is an AFL's VFL team.

If our views are so stale why did the Gold pack up? They didnt do it right from the outset and should have followed the Roosters plan, Base, Ground, players, coach and engage.

Ah, the Diggers did try to set up a facility like the Roosters but the Bendigo council killed that idea. They did go about it the wrong way early on and got clubs and the community offside.

The Gold was a totally different setup and idea and had the community at heart.

The Roosters will be standalone in 2016. Will be interesting to see how they go. I'd say pretty poorly.

Don't let facts get in the way mate.

I'm a bit lost on what role they play? What should they be doing?

Just a thought is it fair to say that since the Hub has been in place (3-4 yrs?) they have only seen 5 premiership sides across the board!
Wedderburn 4
Bridgewater 5
LBU 4
Square 4
Strath 1

Good point.

The points cap should be first and foremost in their minds. Money is killing country footy.

Supposedly looking after Bendigo and district leagues, but one key member is coaching a team in Ballarat, so will have little idea of what's going on around Bendigo during the season. Coaching is a full time gig. Can't possibly see how he could keep one eye on his club and one on the other leagues.

Golden Square have picked up 8 new players and all quality, B&F winner from Tat, Symons is back. I'm led to believe that GS are quietly confident about their prospects for next season. You would think with the inclusion of 8 new recruits to Eaglehawk that they would be bridging the gap also. Think will be a cracking season in the BFL this year. My early prediction would be Storm, GS, Hurst, Borough and Gisborne to make top 5 and everyone else will be making up numbers.

Golden Square have picked up 8 new players and all quality, B&F winner from Tat, Symons is back. I'm led to believe that GS are quietly confident about their prospects for next season. You would think with the inclusion of 8 new recruits to Eaglehawk that they would be bridging the gap also. Think will be a cracking season in the BFL this year. My early prediction would be Storm, GS, Hurst, Borough and Gisborne to make top 5 and everyone else will be making up numbers.

I think your right Golden Square are back on the horse and having a real go as well might need a couple extra top liners yet though as we're probably in the same boat. Eaglehawk will have enough to play finals and there is one spot vacant I reckon not convinced Gisborne are lock in which may open the door for Flat.

Interesting the talk about South you hear more about recruits than losses this time of year but I think you will find South will have atleast 10 departures which will make it tough.

I think your right Golden Square are back on the horse and having a real go as well might need a couple extra top liners yet though as we're probably in the same boat. Eaglehawk will have enough to play finals and there is one spot vacant I reckon not convinced Gisborne are lock in which may open the door for Flat.

Interesting the talk about South you hear more about recruits than losses this time of year but I think you will find South will have atleast 10 departures which will make it tough.
have to bottom out before going forward
times like this you find out why people are at your club

Trent
now there is a thread all by itself..I would beg to differ on the QEO the best ground in country vic
I would class numerous in the O&M better and some in the south west are very good to
can only speak on the ones I have seen
The QEO has no cover except the grandstand and facilities for players under it are just to standard
Any home club struggles with canteens ect with stands out in the elements
The surface is good but would not call it outstanding
The ground can't be developed because of heritage overlays
I reckon as when we had a VFL side the show grounds should have been developed
plenty of room
Exhibition sheds are big enough for warm ups
Dining and after match facilities are there as well
Would have made boutique oval without to much trouble

Thoughts anyone
Agree - Albury incredible - Deakin good - Lavington and Wang Showgrounds - Reid oval Warrnambool?
QEO lacks atmosphere - and supporters!!

Ah, the Diggers did try to set up a facility like the Roosters but the Bendigo council killed that idea. They did go about it the wrong way early on and got clubs and the community offside.

The Gold was a totally different setup and idea and had the community at heart.

The Roosters will be standalone in 2016. Will be interesting to see how they go. I'd say pretty poorly.

Don't let facts get in the way mate.
Considering that the majority of the Roosters side in recent years had been made up of North Ballarat players with a couple of North Melbourne rookie listed types sprinkled in, I wouldn't have thought much would change at all.

Agreed......only time there are more than 20 spectators at the QEO is when the supposed 'minor' leagues are not playing

It would be interesting too see if that is fact or fiction about the bush leagues having bigger crowds than in Bendigo. Very hard to judge to at the QEO with the Grand Stand, Netball in an isolated area and the canteen to a lesser degree the same. I think its exaggerated a bit about the poor crowds although cant deny Heathcote Loddon valley and North Central Clubs have good followings. Anyone know what type of gates Bendigo League clubs get at matches? and in the bush comps? Membership is another factor that makes it hard to judge as well.

Hope South can improve this year. Would hate to see them on the bottom again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering that the majority of the Roosters side in recent years had been made up of North Ballarat players with a couple of North Melbourne rookie listed types sprinkled in, I wouldn't have thought much would change at all.

Yep.... Their key ball-winners were North Melbourne players. Thing with the Roosters are they are very disciplined and well coached, but don't score much, strong defensively, but still need ball-winners to score enough to win games. I hope they do well, Fitzgerald is a good bloke.

Yep.... Their key ball-winners were North Melbourne players. Thing with the Roosters are they are very disciplined and well coached, but don't score much, strong defensively, but still need ball-winners to score enough to win games. I hope they do well, Fitzgerald is a good bloke.
Pretty sure Clifton and Sewell weren't on norths list

Any one heard news of the departure of a player from the Bridgewater three who where enticed to Sandhurst FC. I heard at pub last night he is not going to play in BFL next season re a $ issue I think it is pollock any ideas

Couple of worrying trends emerged @ this weeks BFNL a.g.m., boys
Firstly, umpy fees sky rocketed 25 grand: up from $151,000 in 2013 to $176,000 this year
Secondly our u-16 footy stocks r slumping Ballarat thrashed us in that grade mid-winter
Hammo, chair of AFL central Vic., said it wasn't just a normal "peaks and troughs" or a cyclical thing
He believes it's more serious than that
If so, won't be good 4 senior city BFNL clubs say around 2017, 2018 -- 2 to 3 years time.

ballarat gave us a pizzling in the annual junior challenge this year
under sixteens, or 16 1/2s: Ballarat 12.8, Bendy 4.4 --- 8 gls. to 1 after long interval
Ball. also won 15s, just in that onbe by 4 pts.; the under-14s 9.6 to 1.5 and under-13s 7.7 to 3.1
Bgo's only win came in the under-12s: 6.12 to 2.2
So Ballarat took home the trophy 4--1.

i haven't read anywhere yet about Strath signing Callan Geary and Matt Ferguson ( ex St Kilda backman). Also deep in discussions with a ruckman.
Late news for me or everyone else aware of this?

ballarat gave us a pizzling in the annual junior challenge this year
under sixteens, or 16 1/2s: Ballarat 12.8, Bendy 4.4 --- 8 gls. to 1 after long interval
Ball. also won 15s, just in that onbe by 4 pts.; the under-14s 9.6 to 1.5 and under-13s 7.7 to 3.1
Bgo's only win came in the under-12s: 6.12 to 2.2
So Ballarat took home the trophy 4--1.

I think you may have been looking at the wrong scores. The BJFL actually won the Goldfields Trophy this year.
Under 16's who play against 16.5's did lose and the Under 12's lost as well. The Under 13's, 14's and 15's all won and the Girls also won.
Scores: Under 16 Bendigo 2.2 -14 lost to Ballarat Under 16.5 15.8 - 98
Under 15 Bendigo 10.8 - 68 beat Ballarat 9 .9 - 63
Under 14 Bendigo 13.4 - 82 beat Ballarat 4. 10 - 35
Under 13 Bendigo 13.10- 88 beat Ballarat 1.5-11
Under 12 Bendigo 3.6 - 24 lost to Ballarat 9.6- 60
Youth Girls Bendigo 8.11 - 59 beat Ballarat 3.0 - 18

Thats even worse. A 14-goal belting in the Sixteens.
[Don't worry about an age gap of month or 2 either way. Insignificant]
So, TruthSucks. Paul Hamilton was right. We r in big trouble in that junior grade.
Which is what he was saying at the AGM B4 Xmas.
We will have to get Normie Sheahan on the investigation trail from the Hub!!

St.Albans FC - Div 1 - WRFL is looking for a practice game on the 14th or 21st March with the group for a weekend away game.
Any interested clubs please PM me.
Cheers!

Back