Swallow, King, Casboult/Walter
Humphrey, Lukosius, Rosas
Powell, Miller, Ainsworth
Long, Ballard, Atkins/Weller
Jeffrey, Collins, Andrew
Witts, Anderson, Rowell
Flanders, Davies, Fiorini, Ellis
Emg: Holman

Without knowing what Hardwick is thinking, this does feel like a futile exercise. But enjoyable nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Swallow, King, Casboult/Walter
Humphrey, Lukosius, Rosas
Powell, Miller, Ainsworth
Long, Ballard, Atkins/Weller
Jeffrey, Collins, Andrew
Witts, Anderson, Rowell
Flanders, Davies, Fiorini, Ellis
Emg: Holman

Without knowing what Hardwick is thinking, this does feel like a futile exercise. But enjoyable nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That starting forward flanker role is still Holman’s to lose.
If u know footy he is top 10 first picked any week he is healthy.

I think Swallow can do what Holman does (possibly even better) and may very well take his spot in the team as Dave gets pushed out of the midfield more and more for Flanders, Humphrey etc.

It’s crazy that we have been saying Holman will get pushed out of the 22 for the last 3 years, yet in this time we have completely failed to find/develop a small forward who can apply constant pressure while being able to hit the scoreboard semi-regularly and take his spot (Rosas developing, but in Rankine’s spot).

I imagine that will change under Hardwick Given the importance of those type of players in fast, up tempo footy.

It’s crazy that we have been saying Holman will get pushed out of the 22 for the last 3 years, yet in this time we have completely failed to find/develop a small forward who can apply constant pressure while being able to hit the scoreboard semi-regularly and take his spot (Rosas developing, but in Rankine’s spot).

I imagine that will change under Hardwick Given the importance of those type of players in fast, up tempo footy.
I reckon Dimma will look to/want to bring Shai Bolton across to us.

Very true. I’ve said he’d be pushed out every year and he never is. His effort is too strong. But I’m not sure Holman makes it into many other teams in the comp, if I’m completely honest.

I still think if we had Rankine (injury free) last year, we win a handful more games with ease. That’s what an extra 2 goals a game gets you, rather than an extra two tackles.

Rosas started to look decent in the backend of the season though, so hopefully he can become a 1.5-2 goal a game player. Ainsworth is good for a goal a game. But another dangerous small is high on my agenda. Can it be Swallow (kicked 5 that time haha), or a Rogers type? Not exactly what we’re after, but might be what we have…

So I think we have to settle for Swallow, Humphrey and Flanders or even Anderson all resting forward and getting a goal here and there for now.

2024 Squad Depth:

Key Backs:
Ballard, Collins, Andrew, C. Graham, Brock, Read

General Defenders: Powell, Jeffrey, Budarick, Macpherson, Lemmens, Long, Farrar, Uwland, Johnston, W. Graham, Clohesy

Rucks: Witts, Moyle

Inside Midfielders: Miller, Anderson, Rowell, Flanders, Fiorini, Davies

Outside Midfielders: Atkins, Ellis, Weller, Faulkhead

Key Forwards: King, Lukosius, Casboult, Walter, Day

General Forwards: Ainsworth, Humphrey, Swallow, Holman, Rosas, Rogers, Oea, Tsitas, Berry, Sexton, Mahoney, Rowlands

Pretty healthy right now, and stacked on all lines. Our time is now! I'm backing in some of our new recruits to get into the best 23 pretty early, but the improvement will come from members of our VFL Premiership side.​

2024 Squad Depth:

Key Backs:

General Defenders: Powell, Jeffrey, Budarick, Macpherson, Lemmens, Long, Farrar, Uwland, Johnston, W. Graham, Clohesy

General Forwards: Ainsworth, Humphrey, Swallow, Holman, Rosas, Rogers, Oea, Tsitas, Berry, Sexton, Mahoney, Rowlands

Pretty healthy right now, and stacked on all lines. Our time is now! I'm backing in some of our new recruits to get into the best 23 pretty early, but the improvement will come from members of our VFL Premiership side.​
Surprised you've only got 2 rucks. Most seem to have 3-4. Another experienced ruck would come in handy. Like the bidge between Witts and Moyle. Some depth wouldn't be bad.

Surprised you've only got 2 rucks. Most seem to have 3-4. Another experienced ruck would come in handy. Like the bidge between Witts and Moyle. Some depth wouldn't be bad.
Especially considering Witta is turning 32 next year. This might force Read into the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2024 Squad Depth:

Key Backs:

The club internally sees Read playing forward at VFL level surprisingly.
All subject to change of course but at this point in time the expect him up forward.

As a few others said, both Andrew and Read were drafted as “rucks” in their draft year. Whether they ever play there is a different story, but it is an option.

Interesting spot for me is the second ruck, after Chol's departure. Dimma often played two rucks at Richmond.

Does Moyle get games? Casboult can do it I guess, but he won't play every match and Walter will take his place anyway. Do we want Walter or King rucking regularly?

Andrew and Read, is it a case of too light to fight, too thin to win? Andrew going well in defence anyway.

Interesting spot for me is the second ruck, after Chol's departure. Dimma often played two rucks at Richmond.

Does Moyle get games? Casboult can do it I guess, but he won't play every match and Walter will take his place anyway. Do we want Walter or King rucking regularly?

Andrew and Read, is it a case of too light to fight, too thin to win? Andrew going well in defence anyway.
To add to that, interesting that in 2017 the tigers 2nd ruck was a 190cm shaun grigg who just happens to be in our coaching group now. Could we have a left field option of alex Davies or Joel Jeffery. Will be interesting to watch our pre season games for sure.

To add to that, interesting that in 2017 the tigers 2nd ruck was a 190cm shaun grigg who just happens to be in our coaching group now. Could we have a left field option of alex Davies or Joel Jeffery. Will be interesting to watch our pre season games for sure.
Jeffrey is playing half back this year no?

Davies would surely do anything to get in the team, his days are numbered unless he makes a jump soon. Which is a shame as we need his size, but Humpa, Flanders, Rogers (and Graham?) all pushing for spots in midfield. Then Lombard next year and maybe 2 or 3 the year after.

If we want to keep Moyle he needs to play this year.

The club internally sees Read playing forward at VFL level surprisingly.
All subject to change of course but at this point in time the expect him up forward.
That's interesting. I was very impressed by Read when he made his VFL debut and. He actually dominated when playing full forward and the opposition key defenders seemed to have no answers for him when he was in a one-on-one situation near the goals. To the point that Read should've kicked a bag of 4 or 5 goals that day but ended up with 4 behinds. Then they gave him a go in the ruck and he looked highly competitive against known AFL ruckmen like Ladhams.

I'm guessing they want him to improve his goalkicking accuracy to increase his chances of impacting a game at the AFL level because 4 behinds when you're 20-25m out just isn't good enough at the top level. If he can prove himself as a goalkicking forward at the VFL level then I think he'd be worthy of an AFL debut IMO.

I know Supersuns has mentioned Read is training as a forward.

With Read’s attributes, good overhead, elite engine, good skills, part time midfielder, part time ruckman.

Why not chuck 202cm Read on the wing (Nik Cox Rookie season Circa 2021) now I know Cox had some stress fractures or whatever which has not let him play for a while, but he was labelled a unicorn and looked pretty good on the wing, he even chopped out in the ruck.

I’m still a Casboult believer, he fits our team balance perfectly for now but as the season goes on Jed Walter will be playing and we’ll be short a back up ruck.

Witta is an absolute warrior who has carried us for so long and adding Moyle in would be way to slow. They just both can’t play together it’s either Witta or Moyle.

Read plays the wing, we aren’t blessed with many options anyways, Atkins, Ellis, Ainsworth, Fiorini, Flanders/Anderson/Miller midfield rotation.

We’ve had Luko on the wing delivering the ball, could be a match up nightmare having Luko and Read both in the centre of the ground with King, Walter/Casboult deep.

We have a lot of hard running smalls to cover the “extra height” but also importantly leaves Mac and Kingy exactly where we need them.

Dimma played with a 190cm Grigg in the ruck so maybe no Read but Alex Davies (Basketball background) is the other option.

#UnicornSzn#UnicornSzn

I know Supersuns has mentioned Read is training as a forward.

With Read’s attributes, good overhead, elite engine, good skills, part time midfielder, part time ruckman.

Why not chuck 202cm Read on the wing (Nik Cox Rookie season Circa 2021) now I know Cox had some stress fractures or whatever which has not let him play for a while, but he was labelled a unicorn and looked pretty good on the wing, he even chopped out in the ruck.

I’m still a Casboult believer, he fits our team balance perfectly for now but as the season goes on Jed Walter will be playing and we’ll be short a back up ruck.

Witta is an absolute warrior who has carried us for so long and adding Moyle in would be way to slow. They just both can’t play together it’s either Witta or Moyle.

Read plays the wing, we aren’t blessed with many options anyways, Atkins, Ellis, Ainsworth, Fiorini, Flanders/Anderson/Miller midfield rotation.

We’ve had Luko on the wing delivering the ball, could be a match up nightmare having Luko and Read both in the centre of the ground with King, Walter/Casboult deep.

We have a lot of hard running smalls to cover the “extra height” but also importantly leaves Mac and Kingy exactly where we need them.

Dimma played with a 190cm Grigg in the ruck so maybe no Read but Alex Davies (Basketball background) is the other option.

#UnicornSzn#UnicornSzn
Yes, I am also looking forward to seeing what Dimma will do. Hard to say. I guess pre-season will tell.

Walter should bring pressure. If he is ready, over Casboult easily.

Maybe with possibly 5 players on interchange bench (as media suggest) Moyle could play together with Witts.

Read is going to play forward? Is that to begin with?

Surely long term he will look to replace Witts and become your number 1 ruck yeah?

Read is going to play forward? Is that to begin with?

Surely long term he will look to replace Witts and become your number 1 ruck yeah?
Supposedly going to start in the backline. Think he is still a few years away from seeing a ruck spot. Moyle is way ahead of him at this stage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back