Best and worst grand finals of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Not enough love for 2004 IMO. Great grand final
I watched the last qtr of that game the other day
Port really put the foot to the floor last qtr. Was level half way through 3rd
As painful as result is for me, that game was a ripper up until the last quarter.

It's a pity Brisbane was gassed at 3 quarter time, but with our mounting injury count to our spine, it was unlikely we would have triumphed tbh despite the desperate efforts of Bradshaw, Aker, Notting all kicking multiple goals to keep us in the game, Nigel Lappin keeping the midfield afloat, and Big Mal performing an incredible shutdown on Tredrea after giving Leppitsch a bath in the first quarter.

With Voss down, we struggled to deal with the heavy tag of Kane Cornes on Simon Black, completely nullifying his influence and allowing center ball clearances out to Peter Burgoyne & Pickett, were they tore us to ribbons off the wings. Up forward Wanganeen proved too much for Chris Johnson to handle, and Toby Thurstan of all people gave Brisbane massive defensive headaches. When we did get the ball forward of center, we lacked cohesive structure due to Brown hobbling with a hip injury, and Lynch tearing his quad early in the first, resulting in Port's strong half back line of Hardwick, Chad Cornes, and Montgomery to mop us the ball with ease.

Que the second half of the 3rd quarter were the mounting injuries took their toll and Port seized the moment to gain ascendancy after fighting hard all afternoon. Port were awesome that day and hungry to strike after the preceding 3 years of finals failure, in comparison Brisbane were arrogant as the reigning premiers (Jonathan Brown admitted as much), and Port were always going to be extremely difficult to beat, dodgy home prelim or not.

Last edited:
Toby Thurstans played a blinder. One of the underrated GF efforts

From the old times- 1970 and 1971. Have watched them recently and absolutely sensational games. 71 was as brutal as they come.

89 is great, but more so cause of the stories that go with it (Derm, Dipper, Ablett etc)

In modern times, 2018 and 2010 were sensational. 2012 is a bit of a blur due to obvious reasons.

2008 is the most underrated. Sensational game that was close until the last 10 minutes.

Worst was definitely 2022 and 2010 replay. Games were well and trully over by quarter time.

What were the best and worst grand finals you have watched and of all time

For me best it would be 2005/06 Sydney-West Coast epics and 2012 which I enjoyed as a neutral fan. Worst would be 2019/2022. Just wish we were there instead of GWS/Sydney both of which were non-events
You got lucky this year though so no complaining

A worst that hasn’t been brought up as much was 2015. Easily my most despised Grand Final

Over very early, Eagles overawed and making errors everywhere, Hawks put the cue in the rack and win by 40-60 odd. More suited to Sunday twilight between 6th and 15th

A worst that hasn’t been brought up as much was 2015. Easily my most despised Grand Final

Over very early, Eagles overawed and making errors everywhere, Hawks put the cue in the rack and win by 40-60 odd. More suited to Sunday twilight between 6th and 15th
I agree,only thing interesting about it was that the Hawks had cemented themselves as one of the greatest teams ever, that and the Luke Hodge goal

The game itself was poor though. Hawks vs Swans the year before , whilst was also a blow out, I just couldn't believe how good the Hawks were and that made it more 'entertaining' for me

I'm biased as hell, but 2021 was a genuinely good grandfinal for mine.
You had Fritsch kicking 6 goals, most of any player in a GF since the 90s, and all time , an all time great performance by Petracca and huge momentum shifts for 3 quarters.
We were only up by 1 goal with a minute to go in the third, and then quee the most destructive minute you'll ever see.
I had a lot of mates saying at the time it was one of the best Grandfinals up until the 4th quarter

Close games are great, but they dont have to have a single digit margin to be great.
IMO I'd prefer to watch the full games 2008, 2011, 2016 over 2005 (which is still great, mainly cos of the Leo Barry mark), I just reckon there's a lot more highlights and great moments even though it wasn't decided by a goal or less.

This one was terrible
Went fishing at half time it was so bad

As crap as the Dockers are they were the only ones to put up a shout against that Hawks Juggernaut.
If only they had kicked straight 😞

i enjoyed Harmes brilliant boundary save leading to the matchwinner. Goddard's mark and goal to give the Saints the lead.Vossy's last few minutes to win back to back and Schuey breaking Collingwood hearts.
On the flipside - Chapmans on drugs, hawkins poster goal, scarletts flukey toe and god flicking the ball away from milne in the dying seconds.
in all - the best and worst grand finals right there for me - with one getting a gig in both. oh, last year sucked as well - just no high or lowlights involved.

Objectively

Best: 1989. Only game I've ever rewatched as a neutral because it has a reputation.
Worst: 2022. I'll agree it was a stinker. Such a let down for everyone. 2015 is close though because as others said, most people forget who was playing.

Personally

Best: 2012. Game had it all. Momentum swings. Memorable moments. Fairly high scoring. Big finish.
Worst: 2016. I think people turn a blind eye to just how bad the officiating was and are swept up in the fairytale even to this day.

I'm biased as hell, but 2021 was a genuinely good grandfinal for mine.
You had Fritsch kicking 6 goals, most of any player in a GF since the 90s, and all time , an all time great performance by Petracca and huge momentum shifts for 3 quarters.
We were only up by 1 goal with a minute to go in the third, and then quee the most destructive minute you'll ever see.
I had a lot of mates saying at the time it was one of the best Grandfinals up until the 4th quarter

Close games are great, but they dont have to have a single digit margin to be great.
IMO I'd prefer to watch the full games 2008, 2011, 2016 over 2005 (which is still great, mainly cos of the Leo Barry mark), I just reckon there's a lot more highlights and great moments even though it wasn't decided by a goal or less.
Throw in the fact it was played in the evening at a state of the art stadium, not the dilapidated MCG and it was certainly a memorable GF.

My first thought for the worst, and it was easily.

It's impressive how relentlessly the AFL and commentators have brainwashed people to think that a close game must be good, and a thrashing must be bad. Isnt always the case.

2005 wasn't just the worst grand final I've seen, it was one of the worst games I've ever seen. Horrendous and no excuse as it was in perfect conditions.

1989 easily the best, other great games were 2009, 2012, and 2018. 2007 will never be topped for me, and I quite enjoyed 2016 and 2017 as well.

Subjective I know but only that last quarter plus the violent incidents plus every one of Ablett's goals are really worth rewatching in my opinion. Needed more of Batgirl too. Hawthorn were giving us a fair old rectal probing for a lot of the first three quarters.

It was a reverse 2011 Grand Final, just with added violence!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subjective I know but only that last quarter plus the violent incidents plus every one of Ablett's goals are really worth rewatching in my opinion. Needed more of Batgirl too. Hawthorn were giving us a fair old rectal probing for a lot of the first three quarters.

It was a reverse 2011 Grand Final, just with added violence!!

First quarter for sure. They settled much quicker (so they should have too), we were way too overexcited and undisciplined. The narrative has always been that we were getting thrashed, but the reality is we outscored them in both the second and third quarters (5.2 and 6.5 to 4.5 and 6.4), then roared home with a wet sail.

Looking back I wouldn't call it a violent game. It was physical, but aside from Yeates running through Brereton and Dipper elbowing Hocking there was nothing else apart from good tough footy.

First quarter for sure. They settled much quicker (so they should have too), we were way too overexcited and undisciplined. The narrative has always been that we were getting thrashed, but the reality is we outscored them in both the second and third quarters (5.2 and 6.5 to 4.5 and 6.4), then roared home with a wet sail.

Fair point. Happy to stand corrected:thumbsu:

Nah i love the MCG too but ill say this every time someone tried to claim that 2021 wasn't a real grandfinal

Of course it was.

Anyone who knows their footy history knows that Grand finals weren't always played at the MCG, due to war or other reasons.

In the early days I'm pretty sure they used the Junction Oval and I think the old East Melbourne ground. Then during World War 2 both the Junction Oval and Princes Park held them. They're still valid.

1. Game Style (GS): Beauty of the game is in the eye of the beholder, but this criteria is judged on the attractiveness of play: skills, free-flowing play, scoring and, in some cases, sheer brutality of the contest. Some games are marked down simply because of wet conditions that made it significantly harder to showcase the best of the game.

2. Closeness (CLOSE): The competitiveness of the contest throughout the four quarters, how long the result appeared in the balance.

3. Historical Importance (HI): This rating attempts to capture the significance of the match on broader football history. Did it change the game in any way, does it help define an era or a club’s history, or was it the genesis of rivalry.

4. Star Power (SP): How the game displayed the star players of the time. Whether it includes a group of players historically comparable with greats of other eras, and did they demonstrate their best on the day.

5. Iconic Moments (ICON): Highlights that the grand final provided. The small moments of play – whether great marks, goals or clashes – that are endlessly rewatchable and instantly recalled. The type of moments that inspire commentary mimicry, and maybe even clumsily attempted physical mimicry from schoolyards to backyard BBQs.

6. Finish (FIN): Whether the grand final kept fans in suspense until the end. Did the final quarter, or sometimes the final minutes, keep us all on the edges of our seats?

Each category is given a rating out of 10.

This year's game is ranked at 4, with a score of 52.

4) 2023: Collingwood 12.18.90 def Brisbane 13.8.86​

Total Score: 52 (GS 9 CLOSE 10 HI 8 SP 8 ICON 8 FIN 9)

Top rated:

1) 1970: Carlton 17.9.111 def Collingwood 14.17.101​

Total Score: 53.5 (GS 8 CLOSE 8 HI 10 SP 9.5 ICON 10 FIN 8)

1. Game Style (GS): Beauty of the game is in the eye of the beholder, but this criteria is judged on the attractiveness of play: skills, free-flowing play, scoring and, in some cases, sheer brutality of the contest. Some games are marked down simply because of wet conditions that made it significantly harder to showcase the best of the game.

2. Closeness (CLOSE): The competitiveness of the contest throughout the four quarters, how long the result appeared in the balance.

3. Historical Importance (HI): This rating attempts to capture the significance of the match on broader football history. Did it change the game in any way, does it help define an era or a club’s history, or was it the genesis of rivalry.

4. Star Power (SP): How the game displayed the star players of the time. Whether it includes a group of players historically comparable with greats of other eras, and did they demonstrate their best on the day.

5. Iconic Moments (ICON): Highlights that the grand final provided. The small moments of play – whether great marks, goals or clashes – that are endlessly rewatchable and instantly recalled. The type of moments that inspire commentary mimicry, and maybe even clumsily attempted physical mimicry from schoolyards to backyard BBQs.

6. Finish (FIN): Whether the grand final kept fans in suspense until the end. Did the final quarter, or sometimes the final minutes, keep us all on the edges of our seats?

Each category is given a rating out of 10.

This year's game is ranked at 4, with a score of 52.

4) 2023: Collingwood 12.18.90 def Brisbane 13.8.86​

Total Score: 52 (GS 9 CLOSE 10 HI 8 SP 8 ICON 8 FIN 9)

Top rated:

1) 1970: Carlton 17.9.111 def Collingwood 14.17.101​

Total Score: 53.5 (GS 8 CLOSE 8 HI 10 SP 9.5 ICON 10 FIN 8)

The commentary from this year's Grand Final should knock the 8 for iconic moments back to around a 5. Through absolutely no fault of the contest itself. Just BT and Brayshaw sounding like their producer told them to 'be yourselves, but also don't be' about 1 minute before they went to air.

Ranking the grand finals of the 21st century

2. 2012 - literally the perfect game of footy. Momentum swings galore, an insane final quarter and finish.
2. 2018 - the best finish of all from a neutral's perspective. Only its good but not great first half prevents it from being top dog.
3. 2002 - two incredible performances by sides duking it out in the wet. Margin never blew out to double figures either way.
4. 2009 - pretty complete game by two champion teams, with the finish to cap it off.
5. 2010 draw - remarkably tense with twists and turns all day. The most unique finish of all listed.
6. 2011 - last quarter marks it down but it truly was a special game for three quarters.
7. 2016 - poor officiating at times hurts, but it was incredibly tense from start to finish.
8. 2004 - 2011 was this granny on steroids. Two great sides battling it out for three quarters before one came out very much on top.
9. 2021 - outstanding game for three quarters and even the late blowout was entertaining in itself.
10. 2006 - strong game with an incredible finish.
11. 2001 - shattered to mark this down so low. The first great granny after close to none in the 80's and 90's. Full of momentum shifts.
12. 2008 - strong all game without being remarkable. The result was crazy, but the rushed behinds ploy marks it down.
13. 2005 - great finish, but an eye sore for much of three quarters. Only Sydney fans would watch it over.
14. 2013 - close-ish but very unremarkable game. The only GF in memory that neither team played well.
15. 2017 - ripper first half before a second half onslaught
16. 2020 - good game but not quite right because of the shortened quarters
17. 2014 - shellacking but some very champagne Hawthorn footy made it entertaining
18. 2015 - boring, predictable
19. 2007 - entertaining in the sense of the records that were set, but still shite
20. 2003 - over in a quarter and a half
21. 2019 - inevitable result, but okay first quarter
22. 2010 replay - closed early in the second, only one great moment (smother)
23. 2022 - over in about 15 minutes

Decent go. Not going to hide my bias by saying 2016 should be lower. 2010 replay wasn't great, but I think 2019 and 2022 should occupy 22nd and 23rd with plenty of daylight between them and the one above. Not a strong enough word for how bad those two games were to watch. I wonder where you'd put 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back