• Rory Sloane

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • David Zaharakis

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hill is easily better than Sidebottom.

Easily?

Sidebottom gets more of it, kicks more goals, stands up in big finals, works hard defensively... Hill is more of a linebreaker though. IMO doesn't have him covered at all, but if he does, it's not 'easily'.

+1, it is a win win for both clubs.

Brisbane needed an ultra consistent h&a gun who doesn't step up in big games because, lets be honest here, Brisbane aren't going to be playing in any in the foreseeable future. Collingwood, on the other hand, needed big and accountable midfielders who don't get dominated by the best midfielders in the AFL - in the immediacy we have Crisp who is probably top 3 in our best and fairest; long term we have him and De Goey who is already best 22 on our list. The proof is in the pudding, in spite of losing our second best midfielder our midfield is stronger in 2015 and results against the top teams this season have significantly improved. Likewise, Beams will help Brisbane beat teams like Carlton and get them off dead bottom on the ladder to a very respectable bottom on percentage.

As Michael Scott says - win, win, win.

What top teams have you actually beat? None?

Won against, Brisbane, Carlton, Saints, Essendon, Gold Coast, North, Melbourne and GWS. With the GWS the only top 8 side you've beat. You've lost the last three games. You've had a seriously easy fixture.

I'm happy with our last 3 weeks against 3 top sides. Especially considering the player's we've had out, 10 kids running around with under 50 games experience and no key forward.

What top teams have you actually beat? None?

Won against, Brisbane, Carlton, Saints, Essendon, Gold Coast, North, Melbourne and GWS. With the GWS the only top 8 side you've beat. You've lost the last three games. You've had a seriously easy fixture.

I'm happy with our last 3 weeks against 3 top sides. Especially considering the player's we've had out, 10 kids running around with under 50 games experience and no key forward.
Yep we didn't beat them but, unlike last season, we got very close and showed significant improvements with what is still a very young list.

It's interesting that you bring up how well you think your side as performing in spite of sitting dead last on the ladder because you had 10 kids running around with under 50 games of experience. By my count we had 10 players with 50 games or under when we nearly beat Hawthorn 2 weeks ago and I'd say that that level of experience has been constant for us most games this season. We sit firmly in the 8 and will most likely play finals whereas the only thing you've got a chance of winning is a priority pick.

Without straying too far off topic, lack of experience is not an excuse for your club miserable results. Instead of wallowing in excuses self pity your energy would be better used seeking an explanation for your clubs failure to be competitive this last decade.

Yep we didn't beat them but, unlike last season, we got very close and showed significant improvements with what is still a very young list.

It's interesting that you bring up how well you think your side as performing in spite of sitting dead last on the ladder because you had 10 kids running around with under 50 games of experience. By my count we had 10 players with 50 games or under when we nearly beat Hawthorn 2 weeks ago and I'd say that that level of experience has been constant for us most games this season. We sit firmly in the 8 and will most likely play finals whereas the only thing you've got a chance of winning is a priority pick.

Without straying too far off topic, lack of experience is not an excuse for your club miserable results. Instead of wallowing in excuses self pity your energy would be better used seeking an explanation for your clubs failure to be competitive this last decade.
we have the youngest team in the comp for about 70% of matches this year and the second youngest list all up only ahead of GWS

I said the last 3 weeks.. Before that we've been as crap as we ever have. We've literally had half our best 22 out. And with a young side with weaker depth, that's always going to hurt.

I've got a few explanations for that, but won't bother straying of topic. I'm certainly harsh on the club, that's for sure.

Anyway, happy with the overall 2008 draft results for us. Rockliff, Beams, Redden, Rich, Stefan Martin and Robinson. :p

Anyway, happy with the overall 2008 draft results for us. Rockliff, Beams, Redden, Rich, Stefan Martin and Robinson. :p
That is actually a ripper list even before Beams. In fact, I rate Martin as better than several players listed in the poll.

That list is near as good as many of the drafts that have been synonymous with premiership success - i.e. Geelong's 2001 draft and Collingwood's 2006 draft. I guess it really begs the question as to what Brisbane's recruiters were doing all those other years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is actually a ripper list even before Beams. In fact, I rate Martin as better than several players listed in the poll.

That list is near as good as many of the drafts that have been synonymous with premiership success - i.e. Geelong's 2001 draft and Collingwood's 2006 draft. I guess it really begs the question as to what Brisbane's recruiters were doing all those other years
well from that year all the way untill 2013 you can safley say we F@#$ED up

Last edited:

The recruiters changed over in 2008 I believe and our drafting has been good since. But the bloody player retention has been woeful. 2009 we didn't have a lot to play with in terms of picks.

2010 included Polec, Lester, Green, and Karnezis. Polec finally got over injuries and has been sharp for Port. Green was on track for 35 plus goals before injury, Lesters starting to put it together but got injured and is out for the next 8 weeks. Karnezis as you know, has the talent but lacks the desire.

2011, Longer, Yeo, Docherty, Clarke and Crisp.

2012, Mayes, Paparone, Close(was looking promising but did his ACL), Bourke.

2013, Aish, Taylor, McStay, Gardiner, Cutler, Robertson, Freeman, O'Brien,

2014, Dawson, Andrews and McGrath.

Recruiting's been good. Player retention poor. Really should have been trying to get a key forward, because right now we have a 19 year old McStay to kick to. I'd hate to see how bad we'd be compared to how bade we are now if we didn't get 2008 right.

Shuey would be top 6.

Lots of midfielders and Natanui...

Natanui please.
Almost injury free, he is doing stuff not many ruckmen have done.

Back