Best player in the draft

I'll ignore Franklin and Hall for the purposes of this. It's hard to find better players in their draft but we didn't originally draft them so....

I think we got the best in 1997, though a couple of others would have cases. 2010 possibly but again it's hard to say who's the best in that draft, there's several that have shown comparable signs thus far.
You do realise that cousins and Harvey were both drafted that year.

Beams is one of the best midfielders in the game he would struggle to be in the top 20, while Naitanui is firmly in the top 20 players in the game.

So tell me, who wrote this top 20 list you have? God?

Of the 2000's.

2000 - Riewoldt
2001 - Ablett Jnr
2002 - Goddard
2003 - Mundy
2004 - Franklin
2005 - Pendelbury
2006 - Selwood
2007 - Dangerfield
2008 - Hannebury
2009 - Fyfe
2010 - Heppell
2011 - Wingard
2012 - Stringer
2013 - Bontempelli
2014 - Heeney

Obviously the later ones are harder to picked but based on credentials those are probably the best players in their respective draft class.

I obviously count All Australian selections as the highest accolade rather than best and fairests, as its a competition wide award rather than an individual club award. 2003 and 2010 the hardest to do.

So tell me, who wrote this list you have? God?
Which one of these misses?
Ablett
Fyfe
Pendles
Priddis
Hannaberry
Selwood
Dangerfield
Gray
Mitchell
Kennedy
Sloane
Boak
Hodge
Ward
Parker
Mundy
Shuey
Rockliff
Heppell
Lewis
Neale
Martin
Deledio

Of the 2000's.

2000 - Riewoldt
2001 - Ablett Jnr
2002 - Goddard
2003 - Mundy
2004 - Franklin
2005 - Pendelbury
2006 - Selwood
2007 - Dangerfield
2008 - Hannebury
2009 - Fyfe
2010 - Heppell
2011 - Wingard
2012 - Stringer
2013 - Bontempelli
2014 - Heeney

Obviously the later ones are harder to picked but based on credentials those are probably the best players in their respective draft class.

I obviously count All Australian selections as the highest accolade rather than best and fairests, as its a competition wide award rather than an individual club award. 2003 and 2010 the hardest to do.
2000: Cox beats riewoldt
2001: Agree
2002: Agree
2003: Agree
2004: Agree
2005: Agree
2006: Agree
2007: Agree
2008: 50/50 between naita and hanners
2009:Agree
2010: No where near it, Parker, Gaff, Darling, Libba and Bennell all better
2011: Agree
2012: Hogan
2013: Agree
2014: Way to soon to tell but Brayshaw is my early pick.

2000: Cox beats riewoldt
2001: Agree
2002: Agree
2003: Agree
2004: Agree
2005: Agree
2006: Agree
2007: Agree
2008: 50/50 between naita and hanners
2009:Agree
2010: No where near it, Parker, Gaff, Darling, Libba and Bennell all better
2011: Agree
2012: Hogan
2013: Agree
2014: Way to soon to tell but Brayshaw is my early pick.

Hogan actually should be compared with 2013 draftees as he was a mini draft pick so his first season he was able to play at AFL level was 2014 like Bont and Cripps were. Not to mention Stringer is an All Australian and Hogan hasn't been.

2010 I was very close to choosing Parker and Heeney vs Brayshaw was obviously close.

Hogan actually should be compared with 2013 draftees as he was a mini draft pick so his first season he was able to play at AFL level was 2014 like Bont and Cripps were. Not to mention Stringer is an All Australian and Hogan hasn't been.

2010 I was very close to choosing Parker and Heeney vs Brayshaw was obviously close.
He's knocking out a player whichever way you go, I couldn't give two *s if stringer had ten AA's Hogan is the better player.

Ablett
Fyfe
Pendles
Priddis
Hannaberry
Selwood
Dangerfield
Gray
Mitchell
Kennedy
Sloane
Boak

Hodge
Ward
Parker
Mundy
Shuey
Rockliff
Heppell

Lewis
Neale
Martin
Deledio

Thanks for the Lols :thumbsu:

Port probably got the best players in the draft two years in a row with Wingard and Wines.

2007 is an interesting one. Boak, Joel Selwood, Jack Riewoldt, Goldstein, Josh Kennedy (Sydney version), Robbie Gray would all have a case.
I reckon most would take Stringer before Wines. Both stars though, that's looking like a really strong draft.

Not often you see the two best players come from the same juniors side (pioneers).

Beams is one of the best midfielders in the game he would struggle to be in the top 20, while Naitanui is firmly in the top 20 players in the game.
wtf, Beams is one of the absolute stars of the comp. Better player than NicNat, which is a stupid comparison given how different they are.

Reiwoldt would struggle to be in the discussion for team of the decade, cox is in the discussion for best team ever.
That's because Cox is a ruckman where there have only been so many elite players in that position compared to Riewoldt at CHF where he is against some of the best players to play our game.

That's because Cox is a ruckman where there have only been so many elite players in that position compared to Riewoldt at CHF where he is against some of the best players to play our game.
No, it's because reiwoldt is not as good as cox. We are talking about the greatest ruckman of the modern era in comparison to a good footballer. It's not really that close buddy.

Ok, the reality is that this will probably end up with a heap of 'Judd is better than Hodge' arguments, which is not the aim of the thread. In those years where it's really difficult to split we can make it the top two best players.

Close, but it turns out the argument is actually Naitanui vs Beams. ;)

No, it's because reiwoldt is not as good as cox. We are talking about the greatest ruckman of the modern era in comparison to a good footballer. It's not really that close buddy.
What a load of crap. I hate Reiwoldt but he's the second best forward since Carey I reckon. He's a star.

Ablett
Fyfe
Pendles
Priddis
Hannaberry
Selwood
Dangerfield
Gray
Mitchell
Kennedy
Sloane
Boak
Hodge
Ward
Parker
Mundy
Shuey
Rockliff
Heppell
Lewis
Neale
Martin
Deledio
I would take Beams over - Deledio, Martin, Neale, Lewis, Heppell, Mundy, Sloane, Sheuy and Ward.

Your under rating him.

Back