Big Bodied Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Darling (191cm) and Yeo (189cm) are two players that are likely to have significant midfield roles this season in an otherwise undersized midfield.

There is also Tunbridge (191cm/94kg) and Colledge (192cm/90kg) developing in the wings.

Wouldn't taking Darling out of the forward line deprive you of an important tall? He seems to have a big tank but do you think he could play significant periods in the midfield?

Yeo played as a tall defender at Brisbane and in the WAFL. What makes you think he will be able to take on a significant midfield role? At 79kg, he is also to lean to qualify (yet) as a big bodied player.

Tunbridge is a defender/forward and and so is Colledge and is unknown whether they could ever make the transition to midfielders. Plenty of clubs tall and big forwards and defenders but few could play as permanent midfielders.

Wouldn't taking Darling out of the forward line deprive you of an important tall? He seems to have a big tank but do you think he could play significant periods in the midfield?

Yeo played as a tall defender at Brisbane and in the WAFL. What makes you think he will be able to take on a significant midfield role? At 79kg, he is also to lean to qualify (yet) as a big bodied player.

Tunbridge is a defender/forward and and so is Colledge and is unknown whether they could ever make the transition to midfielders. Plenty of clubs tall and big forwards and defenders but few could play as permanent midfielders.

Darling never played as a true key forward anyway. Our forward line generally plays tall enough with Hill/LeCras/Tunbridge/Colledge as rotatable options. He's been training with the midfield group predominantly this preseason and it's been well publicised that the club wants to rotate him through there (in fact they've been saying it since he got drafted).

Yeo certainly had his apprenticeship as a third tall defender for the Lions but was drafted as a midfielder where he played for East Fremantle. With the lack of pace/height/versatility in our midfield he's a natural fit. But you're right, he'd be a tall midfielder as opposed to big bodied.

Tunbridge played stints on the wing for Perth while predominantly playing as a tall half forward. Admittedly he has only played 2 games for the club and will likely only be able to force his way into the forward line if he cracks a gig but I think there's little doubt the club would like to rotate him through the midfield long term given the way they've trained him.

No doubt Colledge is an unknown but he plays more naturally as a midfielder than he does a key forward (according to his Demons colts coach from memory). I have no idea whether this kid will make it as we've seen so little from him but in terms of his 'type', he would be a taller midfielder. Certainly been seen doing stoppage/midfield drills this offseason (as has Yeo).

Hurn is one who I forgot to mention who would definitely qualify as a bigger bodied mid. The club has made no secret of their intention to play him in the middle or on a wing in 2014.

Darling out of the forward line with Kennedy been restricted to FF due to his injury makes the Eagles forward line sound a lot less potent.

they have a young fellow called mcgovern who i reckon by the end of the yr will hold down a key forward spot for them.

Darling was good enough up front but he is better played as HHF who floats in and out of the midfield. Over the last 2 years he was tipped to have a tryout in the midfield but Woosha was happy with him up front. We will not lose a tall up forward for the following reasons:

- Lecra & Hill who can play taller than there size suggests.
- Cox & Nic Nat who showed in 2012 when both are fit are capable of kicking 50 goals between them.
- JK is one of the top forwards and is capable of kicking of kicking 50-70 goals a year.
- Lycett is being groomed for a CHF role that rotates in the ruck. He is having a ripper pre-season and could happen sooner than later.
- Sinclair is in the wings and is more a tall forward than a ruck...Has shown in the WAFL he is a capable goal kicker.
- Mcinnnes is a tall forward in the JK mold. He has struggled at Perth in the WAFL for the fact they have a poor midfield. He should improve with a better structure at East Perth.

Its is true Yeo is a skinny taller defender but he has put on some Kg's over the summer and he will spend time in the midfield and add much needed pace we sorely lack. Very good move getting him over.

Tunbridge over the last 2 years has never played as a defender and has mainly played as a HHF. He is developing nicely and i can see him playing a role like Darling that has stints on the ball and up front. at 191cms and 94Kg's he will fit in nicely.

College i agree is an unknown but word is they will be developing him as a mid.

Hurn and Schofield are 2 other players being groomed to have roles in the middle. But i dare say more as wingman.

1. Scott Pendlebury

2. Jobe Watson

3. Josh Kennedy (Sydney)

Those are probably the three best going around at the moment.

I would put Ablett ahead of them all, and Fyfe or Mundy ahead of Kennedy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A North player.

Anyway this thread isn't about this. Just pointing out it's a bit rich to bag a young player for an incident like Libba's and act as if your own players are angels.

You really are spouting this bullshit everywhere aren't you?

The thing is after 2013 I wouldn't call Liberatore a "prospect" in the vein Cunnington is.

Yeah, Cunnington is a "prospect" who was top 5 in the league for clearances and top 10 for contested possesions. Right.

Darling is not going to be a realistic center square rotation. His best option is as a mobile marking and hard running half forward who gets around the ground really well and causing match up problems. He's totally one sides by hand and not that good with the one hand he's got, which makes him pretty much useless on the inside. He's been training with the midfielders but that doesn't mean much, at the moment he's not ready for more than situational encounters at stoppages. My guess is he'll be getting drilled on where to run to get the ball as an outside running option. Where he can use his speed, height and strength to full advantage.

Tunbridge is in a similar boat to Darling, he can distribute by hand a bit better but needs to be cleaner with the ball in hand and improve his composure at stoppages. He does have the advantage of a lower center of gravity than Darling though, which gives him more agility and allows him to stand over the ball and keep his balance better. I think he's competing with J.Hill for a spot at the moment, playing as a half forward who plays small stints on ball at WAFL level.

Colledge isn't really going to crack a game as a forward, he's slower than the above and lacks their powerful kicking. He does however have cleaner hands, he's duel sided by hand and his lack of top end pace means he's more useful closer to contests where he can make quick decisions by hand. He's trimmed down and has been training with the midfielders.

Yeah, Cunnington is a "prospect" who was top 5 in the league for clearances and top 10 for contested possesions. Right.

Liam Jones was top 5 in the league for contested marks a couple of years ago. Guess we can stop calling him a prospect then?

Cunnington had a good year for a young player but it was still not quite at Liberatore's level. Liberatore was unlucky to not make the AA 40-man squad, Cunnington wasn't even in the discussion.

Ablett's really tall. So are Mitchell, Selwood, Cotchin etc. you'd take most of these guys in a centre contest ahead of the names mentioned barring maybe Watson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back