Podcast BigFooty Blues Podcast 2015 Ep 10 - Can't Spread it any Thicker...

Remove this Banner Ad

You forgot to 'unstick' the previous podcast. :rolleyes:

I am formally complaining to the Supers! :p :D

#standdownDoss
I didn't want to steal all your thunder, Aph.

I'm generous like that.

As for complaining- oh well, what's another one!

What ticket number am I in the line? :p
I'm not sure. I hear there's a few about me being an unethical coward or something that require indepth character examinations first.

You get used to it after a while!

Anyway, so after listening to this I went back and listened to ours again. As said it was our first time effectively so there's much to work on, but one of the key differences I noticed was how on the Carlton one, the flow of conversation is much more informal and 'chatty', if you will, whereas ours was more interviewer (host) with two people responding. In practice it didn't flow too badly but I think that more radio show, as opposed to interview, feel is something I'd like us to eventually reach too.

ShanDog, has yours followed a similar trajectory to this and how did you manage to 'relax' it if so, for want of a better word?

Tough question Doss....I have only been involved since 2014, but I reckon The Old Dark Navy's had a lot to do with the way it is going for us at the moment. He has driven the 'formatting' of the podcast with all the regular people throwing in ideas about different 'segments' to do which has been great. But the way ODN 'hosts' the podcast is what really brings out the really good discussion and is hard to do IMHO - contributing to the 'show' and also being the person to guide it and get people talking is a tough gig.

A few weeks ago I went and listened to some of the first podcasts from a few years ago and there was a big difference in style, which is not to say it was any better or worse, but the structure makes a big difference to the 'feel' of it.

Ultimately, I think getting podcast to flow well and seem relaxed just comes with having the right people participate - guys and girls who can chat naturally as if they aren't being recorded!

Cheers, ShanDog. That insight is interesting and ODN, if you have anything to add, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Don't want to keep derailing this in all its glory so I'll rack off, but yeah, love what I heard last night, it's a credit to you all and if ever you do feel like getting an opposition idiot on, I'd be happy to. :)

Doss, the key is to not over script things. Have a rough idea what you want to talk about, maybe a few dot points, and just have something introducing things who can pad it out naturally. I used to write lengthy witty intros and people did like them but they did sound like I was reading them. Now it is minimal scripts and I just talk and go off on tangents and if I sound like an idiot, it gets cleaned up in editing. A few of us have had turns editing but Shan has the passion and ear for it so I'm kind of freaking out knowing his time is going to be drastically shortened when the addition to his family comes.

The host gets a feel for when a topic is tiring and when to move things on. I just announce a topic, and let people talk, add my own two cents. If the topic is going nowhere because it is too broad i.e What did you think of the game? , I break it down a bit ...'were you impressed by any of the kids?' ... 'Levi found his kicking boots' etc.

I prepare less than I ever have because our flow is just so natural. It hasn't always been that way. We have had our share of flat podcasts before.

Get your dynamics right.

A footy person who remembers the old days. Someone with a passion for young player development. Someone who gets passionate. A female voice. Above all, have footy people who can also have a laugh.

Yeah Doss, make sure you get that token female voice on there. :mad:

Not token Mebby and those other attributes also can apply to the female podcasters. I'm talking of a variety of tones, rather than similar sounding blokes who blend in together.

Doss, the key is to not over script things. Have a rough idea what you want to talk about, maybe a few dot points, and just have something introducing things who can pad it out naturally. I used to write lengthy witty intros and people did like them but they did sound like I was reading them. Now it is minimal scripts and I just talk and go off on tangents and if I sound like an idiot, it gets cleaned up in editing. A few of us have had turns editing but Shan has the passion and ear for it so I'm kind of freaking out knowing his time is going to be drastically shortened when the addition to his family comes.

The host gets a feel for when a topic is tiring and when to move things on. I just announce a topic, and let people talk, add my own two cents. If the topic is going nowhere because it is too broad i.e What did you think of the game? , I break it down a bit ...'were you impressed by any of the kids?' ... 'Levi found his kicking boots' etc.

I prepare less than I ever have because our flow is just so natural. It hasn't always been that way. We have had our share of flat podcasts before.

Get your dynamics right.

A footy person who remembers the old days. Someone with a passion for young player development. Someone who gets passionate. A female voice. Above all, have footy people who can also have a laugh.
That's brilliant, ODN. Thank you. I'll pass this on and discuss.

Yeah Doss, make sure you get that token female voice on there. :mad:
I had a feeling you'd jump at that! I think ODN does make a salient point in that it can improve the sound of it. Too many rough gravelly voices otherwise. :D

The Essendon board doesn't have the quite amount of really prominent female posters that this board seems to have (although one of our mods is a femme like here) and our most, err, vocal one departed this site a few months ago for other reasons, but I think we might be able to work something. :)

Not token Mebby and those other attributes also can apply to the female podcasters. I'm talking of a variety of tones, rather than similar sounding blokes who blend in together.

That's brilliant, ODN. Thank you. I'll pass this on and discuss.

I had a feeling you'd jump at that! I think ODN does make a salient point in that it can improve the sound of it. Too many rough gravelly voices otherwise. :D

The Essendon board doesn't have the quite amount of really prominent female posters that this board seems to have (although one of our mods is a femme like here) and our most, err, vocal one departed this site a few months ago for other reasons, but I think we might be able to work something. :)

I hear what you're saying but it's irritating when others are described as "passionate about the youth" (obviously HBF) "someone who gets passionate" (Shandog shouts) and "a female".

Whatevs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear what you're saying but it's irritating when others are described as "passionate about the youth" (obviously HBF) "someone who gets passionate" (Shandog shouts) and "a female".

Whatevs.

Nah, had nobody in mind when I said those things. Just talking formula and not pigeon holing our own panel. By the way, yeah ShanDog can shout but that was a scripted rant. Who goes to almost every game, goes to the VFL, drives to Ballarat, flies to NZ, owns a squillion #19 guernseys. Make no mistake, when I talk passion and our panel, you are front and centre.

You can hold your own on any panel. The fact that you also represent another demographic is a bonus.

And Doss I find one thing that helps our relaxed feel and bug difference from when I first jumped on a couple years ago now, is we know a little about each other on a personal level.

Even just getting on and having a friendly chat before getting into it gives it that mateship type feel.

We don't know everything but know enough to ask how work and the families are. Hell I've even gone and met most of the guys now.

You don't have to put in that sort of effort with 1 time guests but it definitely helps the flow Alot if you know each other as people not posts on a Web page

And Doss I find one thing that helps our relaxed feel and bug difference from when I first jumped on a couple years ago now, is we know a little about each other on a personal level.

Even just getting on and having a friendly chat before getting into it gives it that mateship type feel.

We don't know everything but know enough to ask how work and the families are. Hell I've even gone and met most of the guys now.

You don't have to put in that sort of effort with 1 time guests but it definitely helps the flow Alot if you know each other as people not posts on a Web page
Well, that's certainly encouraging to hear, because we have a pretty strong 'social' scene on the Essendon board (pre-game drinks; they're a riot!) so that's probably something we can aspire to as well.

Certainly does help break down the barriers and give it a more jovial, casual feel when you know the person on the other end.

Well, that's certainly encouraging to hear, because we have a pretty strong 'social' scene on the Essendon board (pre-game drinks; they're a riot!) so that's probably something we can aspire to as well.

Certainly does help break down the barriers and give it a more jovial, casual feel when you know the person on the other end.
Yea and Alot of the time you find people are a bit more reserved about jumping in like we always do over each other when you don't really know them but once you know them as a person you aren't as afraid or reserved to speak up.

Sounds more natural

I'll make my trip North and come and find you.

I met HBF, mebby, shandog, wookie and am yet to see BB but we have been in the same place a few times without crossing paths

I think I've met something like fifty people from the Essendon board. We're all pretty scary. :eek:

But yeah, there'd certainly be a wide cross section of people that'd be pretty comfortable interacting over that medium given they know each other, or at least have met on a few occasions, in the real world.

Yea and Alot of the time you find people are a bit more reserved about jumping in like we always do over each other when you don't really know them but once you know them as a person you aren't as afraid or reserved to speak up.

Sounds more natural

I always encouraged people to jump in when they get a second of dead air. For a while we were doing the 'ask question, point to panel member, then ask the next one, then the next' so everyone was waiting to be asked to speak and we were getting the same questions answered 4 times. Really, we just want those who have a different slant to jump in and state it. On the occasions we get disagreement over the top of each other, we hear that initial disagreement, then one steps back and lets the other have their say, then steps in to disagree. I think the odd disagreement or furious agreement over the top adds to the atmosphere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back