Black Diamond AFL - 2010 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
did anyone else notice how small the premiership trophies were in all 3 grades?? i thought it was a pretty piss poor effort really...they were no bigger then a shot glass.. surely the league can afford better cup??i bet junior gf winners get bigger cups

did anyone else notice how small the premiership trophies were in all 3 grades?? i thought it was a pretty piss poor effort really...they were no bigger then a shot glass.. surely the league can afford a better cup??i bet junior gf winners get bigger cups

did anyone else notice how small the premiership trophies were in all 3 grades?? i thought it was a pretty piss poor effort really...they were no bigger then a shot glass.. surely the league can afford a better cup??i bet junior gf winners get bigger cups

.....and where was the Black Diamond Cup? It wasn't there on the day!

Yeah nice redemption for Killarney Vale, they came, they got smacked and then had a long trip back to tumbi umbi.

What Handy inclusions did Cardiff have for that final silly?

Cardiff didnt train on number 1 before the game silly?

I think Cardiff would know just as much as anyone about winning premierships bud, most their players have won 4 or 5 allready, and yo theres more to come.

Good to hear the Cardiff arrogance continues to shine through. I notice on the history page on their website that they have stated "2003 saw a new Coach at Cardiff, with local Junior Adam Dugan taking the reigns. The season again saw the Hawks in familiar territory, making the grand final, this time against arch nemesis, Newcastle City. Despite fighting hard all day, City proved too strong, and have been resting on their laurels ever since."

I wonder if winning 3 premierships in a row is an indication that City have stopped trying because they are satisfied with their 2003 premiership?

I wonder if winning 3 premierships in a row is an indication that City have stopped trying because they are satisfied with their 2003 premiership?
[/quote]

The GF was played between the 2 strongest teams currently running around. Both teams made the gf through planning, training and personnel. City again had the better strategy ie refusing cardiff loose play by manning up and stopping their legendary turnover/attack from half back. It was a good game to watch for someone who likes a good game of footy, which we miss somertimes in NSW.

As a fan I would offer the following as my views of the year:

1. Great to see some big names associated with the BDAFL - can we promote them to build the code in the Hunter, Newcastle & Central Coast?
2. We appear to be seeing a LOT of talented juniors coming through 16s and 18s in many clubs.
3. The umpiring I believe has significantly improved based on the inversely proportional decrease in whinging players.
4. A number of local respected identities apparently are putting their hands up to join the board which should help the development of the game.

]The signs are all in favour of a resurgence, if we can all embrace the game and remember that the passion and hatred of the opposition is only during game-time and we can act as good hosts and enjoy the rivalry.

How about supporting the game and the board and work through the issues in 2011 and increase participation in the best sporting code in the world?

Well said Beetroot, City and Cardiff were the best 2 teams all year and both obviously work hard at staying there!
Its great to have rivalry going between clubs but it needs to be on the field, and we as a football league/community should work together to grow the game.

Woy woy look to be rejoining the fold with 18's a sure thing esp after winning the 16's, and if they got the numbers an open age team as well.

Juniors promotion is the most important to keep the clubs going, but agree it is great to see some former afl star in the ranks.
Blumfield now and who knows we may get Luffy back at the bay 1 day, Hall back at Woy and Mcveigh at KV , prob a long shot and long way off but how good would it be for the comp!!

The GF was played between the 2 strongest teams currently running around. Both teams made the gf through planning, training and personnel. City again had the better strategy ie refusing cardiff loose play by manning up and stopping their legendary turnover/attack from half back. It was a good game to watch for someone who likes a good game of footy, which we miss somertimes in NSW.

As a fan I would offer the following as my views of the year:

1. Great to see some big names associated with the BDAFL - can we promote them to build the code in the Hunter, Newcastle & Central Coast?
2. We appear to be seeing a LOT of talented juniors coming through 16s and 18s in many clubs.
3. The umpiring I believe has significantly improved based on the inversely proportional decrease in whinging players.
4. A number of local respected identities apparently are putting their hands up to join the board which should help the development of the game.

]The signs are all in favour of a resurgence, if we can all embrace the game and remember that the passion and hatred of the opposition is only during game-time and we can act as good hosts and enjoy the rivalry.

How about supporting the game and the board and work through the issues in 2011 and increase participation in the best sporting code in the world?[/quote]

How many will be lost to a Sydney club though, a few I have heard. Maybe the answer is to enter our own team. There would be approx 10 already down there and at least we have a chance of holding them if they are still based up here.

It was tried before, the reason it failed is because players had loyalty to their club, so they played on the Saturday for them, then had to back up on a Sunday and play in Sydney. I'm not sure what the solution is, you can't ban a player for playing for their club can you (if they choose to play in the BD team in Sydney)? If it does eventuate that way, you're taking up to 20-25 players away from an already fledgling U/18 competition, unless you create a Colts competiton (U/21's).
Just a thought, I think that playing our better 18's in Sydney is a great idea just not sure of the logistics.
PS Great work City!!!!!!!!

It was tried before, the reason it failed is because players had loyalty to their club, so they played on the Saturday for them, then had to back up on a Sunday and play in Sydney. I'm not sure what the solution is, you can't ban a player for playing for their club can you (if they choose to play in the BD team in Sydney)? If it does eventuate that way, you're taking up to 20-25 players away from an already fledgling U/18 competition, unless you create a Colts competiton (U/21's).
Just a thought, I think that playing our better 18's in Sydney is a great idea just not sure of the logistics.

I left the region 2 yrs ago for wk & so did my family and my own u16s son.
This year there were 9 u18 BDAFL players playing in the Sydney comp, not includes the 6 or so over 18s.
There is some serious talk of perhaps another 7-8 u18s moving in 2011. That would then mean that there are about 17 u18s playing in Sydney. Not good for the local comp.

People must understand that our local AFL parents of 2010/11 will do a lot more travelling than parents were prepared to do yrs ago. They have already been educated that way thru the local rep and TPP programs.

If the BDAFL was to have an u18s team in Sydney comp, the team could train within the region and only travel for matches. They would save themselves two extra training travelling nights to Sydney as they are already doing.
Maybe the league could enter a Snr team too, they could all train and play at the same venues. Just because history failed us, do not think that we would be wasting our time trying again.

I left the region 2 yrs ago for wk & so did my family and my own u16s son.
This year there were 9 u18 BDAFL players playing in the Sydney comp, not includes the 6 or so over 18s.
There is some serious talk of perhaps another 7-8 u18s moving in 2011. That would then mean that there are about 17 u18s playing in Sydney. Not good for the local comp.

People must understand that our local AFL parents of 2010/11 will do a lot more travelling than parents were prepared to do yrs ago. They have already been educated that way thru the local rep and TPP programs.

If the BDAFL was to have an u18s team in Sydney comp, the team could train within the region and only travel for matches. They would save themselves two extra training travelling nights to Sydney as they are already doing.
Maybe the league could enter a Snr team too, they could all train and play at the same venues. Just because history failed us, do not think that we would be wasting our time trying again.

Agree 100%, its not an issue of will it work and parental support, they are already doing it as you said. We must address the 17 players departure as it is destroying the future of the area.
Once they leave the chances of getting them back are minimal.

Maybe...the Hunters U/18's especially in its first year was great. There were still 2 or 3 gun players that didnt play due to HSC commitments and yet the team was a bit like Cardiff first grade...won almost every game and then got beat in the games that mattered most.

The juniors would get a buzz out of playing in Sydney against some different opposition. Not a bad idea...but again ensuring its not at the expense of clubs having to forfeit u/18's games for lack of numbers. There will be 22-25 players taken out of the comp every weekend...not sure if we can afford that right now?

As for the seniors...nope. As mentioned before players loyalty is for their club first and foremost. Senior players playing in the BDAFL obviously arent chasing any other offers and enjoy the lifestyle afforded in a regional area. Having to travel to Sydney to shitholes like blacktown for footy match isnt many blokes cup of tea I'd think.

Agree that its probably worth while having a look at least, I was in the 18's when the Hunters were around and it was the best feeling for the players to go to Syd to play.

Seniors, maybe not as said they are pretty settled in the area prob with work/family etc, while the 18's maybe are still looking to take that next step and test themselves see how far they can go?
I along with most on here am not at that age anymore, maybe we should be asking the players if they would like to train together 1 nite coast 1 nite new and play in Sydney if yes get the ppl involved to make it happen!

If the players want to, I believe we could again acheive great success, and with 2 afl teams in town plenty of ppl to impress!!
This year 5 players played for Penno and they finished 4th, just a goal away from the prelim, if our best 22 played together they would be playing in the gf and possibly for higher honours in their careers.

The local comp might like to look at central coast comp and a newcastle comp to see if that helps with player retention, dont no about new but the coast has 8 16's teams and this year all 4 that made finals (Woy,Bat,Wyg,Sara) didnt have an 18's team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone see this article? http://bdafl.com.au/news.php?id=1311

I decided to write in. What do you think?

the BDAFL be made of a North & South division? Such as North - Cardiff, City, Warners Bay & Lake Maq and South - Terrigal, Gosford, Kilarney Vale & Wyong.

Clubs could play 3 times against teams in the division and outside of it once? Would reduce long distance trips and improve player turn out particularly at lower levels.

Some may complain that this is an unfair fixture as potentially one division would be stronger than the other but ultimately I think you could work a finals set up that mitigates this.

Secondly, could the competition add additional trophies for teams not making the top 4? A bottom 4 finals would give teams who aren't up to the level of some of the more competitive teams something to aspire to, obviously it shouldn't be given the same glory as the Black Diamond but I'm sure teams who never play finals would enjoy playing teams relatively closer in their skill level for something meaningful.

Obviously these suggestions are suited to a 8 team competition but could be adjusted as necessary with the addition of teams such as Singo.

Everyone see this article? http://bdafl.com.au/news.php?id=1311

I decided to write in. What do you think?

the BDAFL be made of a North & South division? Such as North - Cardiff, City, Warners Bay & Lake Maq and South - Terrigal, Gosford, Kilarney Vale & Wyong.

Clubs could play 3 times against teams in the division and outside of it once? Would reduce long distance trips and improve player turn out particularly at lower levels.

Some may complain that this is an unfair fixture as potentially one division would be stronger than the other but ultimately I think you could work a finals set up that mitigates this.

Secondly, could the competition add additional trophies for teams not making the top 4? A bottom 4 finals would give teams who aren't up to the level of some of the more competitive teams something to aspire to, obviously it shouldn't be given the same glory as the Black Diamond but I'm sure teams who never play finals would enjoy playing teams relatively closer in their skill level for something meaningful.

Obviously these suggestions are suited to a 8 team competition but could be adjusted as necessary with the addition of teams such as Singo.

Isnt this what we had to an extent at the end of 1999 when the leagues merged??

I still think 3 tiers is the way to go. It will split clubs admittedly at times but I think it is the better way for the struggling 1st grade sides to achieve success and keep their players. It evens it out more, the top grade would see good footy played every week and potential new sides could form and make their way up from the third tier.

I just look at the Sydney comp and how that has worked over the last 2 years and think that the structure can provide opportunities for all clubs to achieve success.

How have club BnF results been going.

Warners Bay went
1. Hodges
2. Mahon
3. Brennan
4. Dunlop
5. McKenna

You're right Deitzy, if the comp is to compromise of several divisions then they have to be based on performance not distance.

The final goal of the division based comp is competitiveness, closer scorelines and the same old clubs not getting thumped every week.

The bdafl is seemingly open to suggestions...this is a good thing.

If the league did go down that path who would play in what grade ?

The way i see it there are only 5 competitive 1st grade teams.

City, Cardiff, Ter, Warners and KV.

This would then make a very competitive 2nd grade

Wyong, Gosford, Lake Maq, Singo, Nelson bay, Cardiff 2s and Warners 2s

3rd grade - the rest

Although the 1st division would be small it would give players in both 1st and 2nd grade a quality game of football each week.

I like 3 grades for the element of having more competitive games but clubs playing in different locations regularly is an issue. It undermines club culture of footy.

Also 3 grades plus 18's. Could mean that games aren't tagged one after the other as clubs could be playing 3 games over 4 time slots. Unless of course the league moves to more flexible scheduling, meaning each grade isn't a set time each week but depending on what grades are playing at what venues.

If the league did go down that path who would play in what grade ?

The way i see it there are only 5 competitive 1st grade teams.

City, Cardiff, Ter, Warners and KV.

This would then make a very competitive 2nd grade

Wyong, Gosford, Lake Maq, Singo, Nelson bay, Cardiff 2s and Warners 2s

3rd grade - the rest

Although the 1st division would be small it would give players in both 1st and 2nd grade a quality game of football each week.

===

Singo for the 6th Cup side - they deserve it :footy: - the others would have to prove their ability in div 2 before getting promoted

You blokes are kidding yourselves:thumbsdown:, 3 separate divisions?????, this is not NFL or Gridiron!!!! It’s Australian Football and we will play it the Australian way. If there is to be 3 divisions then Singleton should be way down in 3rd division where they belong because they play a boring brand of football in my opinion.

You blokes are kidding yourselves:thumbsdown:, 3 separate divisions?????, this is not NFL or Gridiron!!!! It’s Australian Football and we will play it the Australian way. If there is to be 3 divisions then Singleton should be way down in 3rd division where they belong because they play a boring brand of football in my opinion.

whats the australian way??? i dont get it.

i guess your logic works well.... boring football... saint kilda board. clearly singo best team in 2s so they should be tested seen as though they only have one team to field

whats the australian way??? i dont get it.

i guess your logic works well.... boring football... saint kilda board. clearly singo best team in 2s so they should be tested seen as though they only have one team to field

Australian way? Not sure I understand either, Singo will be in puting in 2 open age as well as 18's next year, they have the momentum so I have no problem with them in the top div, just think the structure should change to 3 divs and put their 2nd team in there to give them a chance. This is how we will encourage growth, from the teams we have and new teams as well!!

Will clubs be able to enter a third side in the future? If so, could this be at a detriment to other clubs?

Will clubs be able to enter a third side in the future? If so, could this be at a detriment to other clubs?

I'm happy for clubs to field 3 teams (in diff divs of course) as long as it doesnt adversly affect another club. I know their comp is bigger but Sydney seem to be doing well with there comp,with most teams enjoying some success,I would not even be against a combination (at least for fixturing) say Gosford have 2 teams now and the 3rd be Woy woy, now going on probable form the Woy team would be the 2nd div team, at least then if yr Cardiff and you have 3 teams yr in the same part of the comp location wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back