Black Ducks Supporters Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd half was an excellent contest, quite willing at times was really pleased to get out of that with the 4 points. We've both got similiar draws to round off the season (top 2, bottom 2 plus a mid table team thrown in) it's good to have a genuine 4 (until East Freo lose) way battle for 3rd and 4th there is going to be an unlucky team that ends up 5th.

The only thing you can say after a game like yesterday's is thank god we got out of that with the 4 points. We looked tired & at times disinterested in the 1st half which is incredible with our season riding on the line, not to mention our complete overuse of the handball in the wet instead of kicking long with a very stiff breeze and a failure to do the 1%ers, almost cost us yet another loss to Peel but we did improve our intensity a touch in the 2nd half to scrape in by 11 points. I have a feeling the bye has come at a good time for us as we have had 3 very tough games in heavy conditions in a row. After the bye we incredibly front up to the Peel Dockers again but down at Rushton Park this time. o_O

I missed yesterday's game. Our inconsistency in endeavour is infuriating.

That's why we won Underdog, because I was really sick and couldn't be there, they only seem to win when I'm away.....:p

Somehow we scraped home in the end by a goal after leading by 32 points early in the last qtr we then inexplicably allowed the Peel Dockers to kick 6 unanswered goals after that to hit the front & I thought the game & our season were cooked (it may well be after this week). We then decided to get fair dinkum again to hit the front before hanging on in the last minute or so thanks to a great intercept grab in defence by Rory Lobb.
Once again this season we nearly lost a game we shouldnt by turning off for short periods of a time in games & making the most incredible mistakes in defence eg kicking short passes across goals to 50/50 contests at the 35 minute mark of the 3rd qtr to cough up a goal on the siren instead of kicking long down the line to our tall marking players and we gave the Dockers a sniff heading into the last qtr. Just completely dumb football and by experienced players in Ames, Hildabrandt & Embley. That is the sort of rubbish that has cost us at least 5 games this year we should have won but made dumb decisions at critical times of games.
Despite all that and to say the least some bewildering umpiring :confused: that I counted handed Peel at least 8 goals we got the 4 points & live to fight another week although that may be all we last as we play Claremont at Claremont Oval next week who are just ramping up their season heading into the finals with Blackwell, Foster, Handley, Neates et al all back from injury now.

Seeing Steven Potente play well at West Perth makes me sad. Why did we let him go when an inferior version in Faulkner gets regular games?

Because he's not wearing the 15 jersey, only good/great players get to wear that in recent history. ;)

After a decent first qtr we were completely outplayed for the rest of the game by Claremont who are going to take some beating for this years Premiership. Other than Ames, Davis, Notte, Jetta, Geappen & 1 or 2 others who played well the rest barely fired a shot with so much at stake! :(
This week we take on East Freo who are in scintillating form atm and another loss by us will finish our season once & for all!

After a decent first qtr we were completely outplayed for the rest of the game by Claremont who are going to take some beating for this years Premiership. Other than Ames, Davis, Notte, Jetta, Geappen & 1 or 2 others who played well the rest barely fired a shot with so much at stake! :(
This week we take on East Freo who are in scintillating form atm and another loss by us will finish our season once & for all!

That's what I'm expecting Spearhead, sadly. :oops:

Despite our best attempts to kick ourselves out of the match with a score of 14.19 (Embley 1g.7b) we managed to hold on against EF & keep our season alive for another week.
Yet again our season goes on the line this weekend against our arch nemesis WP who have an incredibly good record at Bassendean Oval in my lifetime.
Win & we not only make the finals but we will actually host the 1st Semi at Basso, lose & it is pretty much curtains for 2013 as I can see EF beating C this week in an upset!

Go you mighty black ducks. I must apologise to the team for losing faith last week against East Freo. :(
Went into the clubrooms after the match and was reminded why this is the greatest club. Great atmosphere, looked after some of the patrons visiting the rooms, with a few cold refreshments. ;)
Every player, even those I have had my doubts about, pulled their weight in what was a terrific, brutal contest.
Well done. Looking forward to smashing the eagles next week. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank god for that Swans! Liked the games of Bennell, Jetta, Twomey, Boeky and Notte.

In a wildly inconsistent year, one play in particular showed such high-end ability - we kicked out from defence to a pack on the defensive 50. Notte takes the mark (might have been the screamer) and Geappen is also in the contest. We moved the ball on fast down the middle of the ground with good run and disposal by hand and foot to find a free man all by himself running towards goal about 30m out - it was Geappen. After the contest on the back flank, he got on his bike and outran everybody to get forward and provide an option. Brilliant football!

Well we finally got into the finals in the end with a hard fought victory over WP in tough conditions at Basso on Saturday with everyone contributing in an even performance across the board although kudos to Notte on a great game in that weather.
So we now face off against EP (Eagles Reserves Team) at home in the 1st Semi Final with EP getting the likes of Selwood, Rosa, Lycett, Wilson, Cripps & Morton (note- not 1 player originally from EP) dropping back from WC while Embley comes back home to Bassendean for SD.
Hopefully a massive crowd ala the 2010 Prelim Final between the same 2 teams when over 12,000 fans attended comes along this week to cheer on the boys as we are going to need all the help in the world due to this ridiculous host club scenario that is destroying the integrity of our great 130 year old WAFL competition!

Well we finally got into the finals in the end with a hard fought victory over WP in tough conditions at Basso on Saturday with everyone contributing in an even performance across the board although kudos to Notte on a great game in that weather.
So we now face off against EP (Eagles Reserves Team) at home in the 1st Semi Final with EP getting the likes of Selwood, Rosa, Lycett, Wilson, Cripps & Morton (note- not 1 player originally from EP) dropping back from WC while Embley comes back home to Bassendean for SD.
Hopefully a massive crowd ala the 2010 Prelim Final between the same 2 teams when over 12,000 fans attended comes along this week to cheer on the boys as we are going to need all the help in the world due to this ridiculous host club scenario that is destroying the integrity of our great 130 year old WAFL competition!

Yeah congrats on that :mad:

Actually, I hope you smack the bejesus out of The Feral Eagles this weekend. I must admit to having a bit of a soft spot for Swans as we live not far from Basso and probably see more games there than at Arena. Much easier with the kids rather than a 6 hour drive to Joondalup. Must admit that Basso ( besides Leederville ) is my favorite WAFL ground.

Good Luck and see you in the Prelim cause I can't see us beating Claremont.

Apparently Big Red Ash Hansen might be a silly chance to line up for the Black Ducks this week!!
Does he qualify because he hasn't played any games anywhere?

EDIT: added quote

WAFL operations manager Cameron Knapton said Swans football manager Phil Smart had contacted him to confirm Hansen was a chance to play.
"Last week I got the request to add him to their 55 list, which we can do easily because he's never been cleared and is still a registered player," Knapton said yesterday.
"We just make him active, so they can play him if they want to pick him. Because he's moved interstate, they don't physically have to retain him on their list and he is still protected."

On reflection, I'm not sure this is a good thing. It looks like a one off game. It might disrupt the system this week and for the coming weeks.

Well, Hansen's been named at full forward. Harding has some balls!

I guess it doesn't matter if he kicks goals or not as long as he frees up Geappen and brings the ball to ground for Charlie, Daisy and Davo. May also help keep the forward line structure when Notte goes into the ruck or down back.

I'd be interested to know what the arrangement is and whether Hansen will be back if we progress.

It's nearly time, so Go You Might Black Ducks, whoever turns up. :footy:

Did any players turn up?

Ok, a few were decent. Our midfield is putrid

Been saying that all year Underdog, the one area we haven't addressed, IMO, for a couple of years.
Would think it is Hilder's last game for us. Maybe Riggio as well, Roach has to learn (too late now, I know) to not panic when he gets the ball in a contest, Boekhurst a bit the same. Ugle turns up for 15 minutes a game. Hams, well he gifted them 2-3 goals that I saw.
Whoever was on 2 and 3 need to learn that you sit on the guys they are going to get the ball out too.

Embley was fantastic. I thought Lobb tried hard, Davis, in patches, Charlie Cameron, Notte, Jets, Amesy, Howie were OK. I thought this was coming but it's still a bitter pill to swallow. :(

You touched on a few issues I was going to bring up with regard to our list swannies

WARNING: Long post and possibly somewhat negative. This is my way of dealing with the crushing loss.

Swans had 37 players play league footy this year.
- 5 played all 21 games; Hams, Robinson, Notte, Geappen and Riggio
- 4 played 20 games; Ugle, Hilderbrandt, Elari and Twomey
- 3 played 19 games; Ames, Davis and Garlett
- 2 played 18 games; Roach and Jetta
- 1 played 17 games; Simpson
So the core of the side was largely free of significant injury. Nobody outside of these players except Blight could be considered a significant part of the side.

Notable league rankings;
Kicks: 11th Hilderbrandt, 17th Twomey, 20th Robinson, 22nd Roach, 25th Riggio
Handballs: 6th Twomey, 10th Riggio, 14th Hams, 15th Robinson, 16th Hilderbrandt, 19th Elari
Disposals: 9th Twomey, 12th Hilderbrandt, 14th Riggio, 16th Robinson, 20th Hams, 24th Roach
Marks: 2nd Geappen, 3rd Notte, 7th Twomey, 11th Hilderbrandt, 18th Garlett
Goals: 4th Geappen, 5th Garlett, 21st Notte, 24th Davis
Hitouts: 7th Lobb, 10th Lammie, 20th Notte

Those that have already left the club are; Lammie, Miles and Daly
Those that are likely to be drafted are; Garlett, Cameron and Lobb
Those that will change WAFL sides are; Bennell, Newman and Neale
Those that are likely to retire are; Embley
Those that have retired are; Roach

That leaves us with a squad looking like;
Defenders
Kyle HAMS
Tallan AMES
Graham JETTA
Justin SIMPSON
Jarrad BLIGHT
Alex HOWARD
Travis CASSERLY
Brent LATCH

Midfielders
Matt RIGGIO
Shaun HILDEBRANDT
Aaron ELARI
Wayde TWOMEY
Adam FAULKNER
Blaine BOEKHORST
Nathan BROAD
Jesse MANTON
Connor BLAKELY
Roderick MANTON

Ruckmen
Nathan BLAKELY

Forwards
Brett ROBINSON
Tony NOTTE
Tim GEAPPEN
Kirk UGLE
Ryan DAVIS
Matthew ROGERS
Ricky CARY

In my opinion, the defence is fine. They are our strength and battle hard with little support. Continued development from within should be sufficient.

The midfield is very slow (other than a few of the kids) and only runs one way. They are constantly caught jogging behind their players as the ball transitions down to the opposition’s forward line. Hilder in particular just looks far too slow and doesn’t offer any defensive pressure or intent.

We now only have one ruckman who played a senior game in 2013 and it’s fair to say he struggled. He is only young and inexperienced so it’s not criticism or blame, just the truth.

The forward line is lacking depth, a tall forward and class. Geappen and Davis have been terrific forwards. Notte has been excellent and is 3rd in the league for marks (behind Bower and Geappen), but he is also the second ruckman and spends time plugging holes so his impact in the forward 50 is limited. Geappen as a sole tall forward has also struggled at times. Robinson gets plenty of the ball, but isn’t kicking enough goals. Ugle is inconsistent and lacks defensive pressure.

List Changes
Hilderbrandt, Robinson and Ugle are all senior players I wouldn’t be devastated to lose and would free up significant payments which would be better invested in greater needs. Roach retiring would release some good coin I'd imagine as well as points.

Development
Latch, Boekhorst, Broad, Jesse Manton and Connor Blakely are all worth pumping some games into.

Recruitment
We need a ruckman and a key forward. I’d be looking at the East Perth pair of Johnson and Smith. They won’t be cheap but their game time may be limited once East Perth gains Sinclair, McInnes, McGovern and Tunbridge.

Obviously quality midfielders are always high on the agenda but I’m not going to speculate on potential interstate recruits.

Krakouer, Ellard, Neville Jetta and Banfield are all ex-Swans boys and chances of being delisted from AFL sides. All would provide worth – particularly Ellard. Jetta and Banfield would provide pace and run through the middle and up forward.

You touched on a few issues I was going to bring up with regard to our list swannies

WARNING: Long post and possibly somewhat negative. This is my way of dealing with the crushing loss.

Swans had 37 players play league footy this year.
- 5 played all 21 games; Hams, Robinson, Notte, Geappen and Riggio
- 4 played 20 games; Ugle, Hilderbrandt, Elari and Twomey
- 3 played 19 games; Ames, Davis and Garlett
- 2 played 18 games; Roach and Jetta
- 1 played 17 games; Simpson
So the core of the side was largely free of significant injury. Nobody outside of these players except Blight could be considered a significant part of the side.

Notable league rankings;
Kicks: 11th Hilderbrandt, 17th Twomey, 20th Robinson, 22nd Roach, 25th Riggio
Handballs: 6th Twomey, 10th Riggio, 14th Hams, 15th Robinson, 16th Hilderbrandt, 19th Elari
Disposals: 9th Twomey, 12th Hilderbrandt, 14th Riggio, 16th Robinson, 20th Hams, 24th Roach
Marks: 2nd Geappen, 3rd Notte, 7th Twomey, 11th Hilderbrandt, 18th Garlett
Goals: 4th Geappen, 5th Garlett, 21st Notte, 24th Davis
Hitouts: 7th Lobb, 10th Lammie, 20th Notte

Those that have already left the club are; Lammie, Miles and Daly
Those that are likely to be drafted are; Garlett, Cameron and Lobb
Those that will change WAFL sides are; Bennell, Newman and Neale
Those that are likely to retire are; Embley

That leaves us with a squad looking like;
Defenders
Kyle HAMS
Tallan AMES
Graham JETTA
Justin SIMPSON
Jarrad BLIGHT
Alex HOWARD
Travis CASSERLY
Brent LATCH

Midfielders
Matt RIGGIO
Shaun HILDEBRANDT
Aaron ELARI
Wayde TWOMEY
Thomas ROACH
Adam FAULKNER
Blaine BOEKHORST
Nathan BROAD
Jesse MANTON
Connor BLAKELY
Roderick MANTON

Ruckmen
Nathan BLAKELY

Forwards
Brett ROBINSON
Tony NOTTE
Tim GEAPPEN
Kirk UGLE
Ryan DAVIS
Matthew ROGERS
Ricky CARY

In my opinion, the defence is fine. They are our strength and battle hard with little support. Continued development from within should be sufficient.

The midfield is very slow (other than Roach and a few of the kids) and only runs one way. They are constantly caught jogging behind their players as the ball transitions down to the opposition’s forward line. Hilder in particular just looks far too slow and doesn’t offer any defensive pressure or intent.

We now only have one ruckman who played a senior game in 2013 and it’s fair to say he struggled. He is only young and inexperienced so it’s not criticism or blame, just the truth.

The forward line is lacking depth, a tall forward and class. Geappen and Davis have been terrific forwards. Notte has been excellent and is 3rd in the league for marks (behind Bower and Geappen), but he is also the second ruckman and spends time plugging holes so his impact in the forward 50 is limited. Geappen as a sole tall forward has also struggled at times. Robinson gets plenty of the ball, but isn’t kicking enough goals. Ugle is inconsistent and lacks defensive pressure.

List Changes
Hilderbrandt, Robinson and Ugle are all senior players I wouldn’t be devastated to lose and would free up significant payments which would be better invested in greater needs.

Development
Latch, Boekhorst, Broad, Jesse Manton and Connor Blakely are all worth pumping some games into.

Recruitment
We need a ruckman and a key forward. I’d be looking at the East Perth pair of Johnson and Smith. They won’t be cheap but their game time may be limited once East Perth gains Sinclair, McInnes, McGovern and Tunbridge.

Obviously quality midfielders are always high on the agenda but I’m not going to speculate on potential interstate recruits.

Krakouer, Ellard, Neville Jetta and Banfield are all ex-Swans boys and chances of being delisted from AFL sides. All would provide worth – particularly Ellard. Jetta and Banfield would provide pace and run through the middle and up forward.

Roach has retired, told the group after the game. If Jetta does come back I'd hope that they look at getting his younger brother there aswell - Leading goalkicker in the Goldfields.

Roach has retired, told the group after the game. If Jetta does come back I'd hope that they look at getting his younger brother there aswell - Leading goalkicker in the Goldfields.
That's a shame about Roach. For all his faults, he was a good, important player for the Swannies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back