Black Ducks Supporters Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday's game was nothing short of abysmal ..unskilled, uncommitted, uninspiring, insipid I have never witnessed a Swans side so poor in my lifetime of following them! :mad:
I also agree with this, but there were some average sides in the 90's, let me tell you, and early 00's.
My argument to my boys is it toughens us up, as supporters. :p

I'm personally really sad we didn't drop Harding when we had the chance to get Dawson again. Dawson was an excellent man manager, just who we need to bring the players back into line.
We have been disappointing this season.
I like Harding's coaching style, it's generally pretty tough and uncompromising, the way footy needs to be played to win big games. However, the message doesn't seem to be getting through to a lot of players. We have a FT footy manager and coach and the messages don't get through, or you've recruited the wrong type of players, well, the buck has to stop with them at some point.
Dawson seems to be having the same problem at EP, so I'm not certain he's the right man, but I never was a big fan. Too gentle for footballers, they need to be told, in no uncertain terms at times, that they are sub-par. Maybe Harding goes the other way and tells them too much, I don't know. Something seems rotten at the club though.

We overuse the footy, have no clear direction, make strange selection decisions and have a talented list the coach continually falls out with and fails to unify. I not a fan of Harding.

Dawson came from the Worsfold style of coaching. He was measured and his strength was his attention to detail. Every player knew exactly what his role was on a given day. Perform that role and they will all gel into a good performance. I don't think he needed to scream for his message to take. He's pretty well the opposite of Harding.

I like Harding's coaching style, it's generally pretty tough and uncompromising, the way footy needs to be played to win big games. However, the message doesn't seem to be getting through to a lot of players. We have a FT footy manager and coach and the messages don't get through, or you've recruited the wrong type of players, well, the buck has to stop with them at some point.
Dawson seems to be having the same problem at EP, so I'm not certain he's the right man, but I never was a big fan. Too gentle for footballers, they need to be told, in no uncertain terms at times, that they are sub-par. Maybe Harding goes the other way and tells them too much, I don't know. Something seems rotten at the club though.

Yeah it's certainly interesting. I personally think Dawsons calm and gentle style was absolutely crucial in the development of those kids we had and also the Aboriginal boys seemed to have a lot of respect for him. Interesting to hear he's having problems at East Perth though. To be honest though once the coach loses the players he can't last, I hope he can turn it around, but I'm not too confident.

I also agree with this, but there were some average sides in the 90's, let me tell you, and early 00's.
My argument to my boys is it toughens us up, as supporters. :p

Swannies I hear you sheesh I still have nightmares about the Swans vs Peel game where we got pumped at Rushdon by 80 +.

As for Harding, i've never been a fan of him he played ordinary footy at Freo and WCE, and never did all that much at Claremont during the 90's.

Its funny really his team is playing like Cla in the 90's a lot of talent, just don't have the heart when it matters.

And if they don't play for the jumper Underdog, I say piss them off, don't care who they are.
I understand where you're coming from but I don't agree with the premise. If they didn't want to play for the jumper they wouldn't be there. There are much easier ways for a footballer to earn coin then playing WAFL footy.

I also don't think it's fair equating a lesser performance or attitude to not wanting to bleed for the club. Particularly for semi-professional sportsmen who have full time jobs.

Sometimes players put in soft efforts. Sometimes players have poor games. Sometimes players have disagreements. I don't think it has a bearing on their love for the club.

It's up to the coaching staff to get the best out of their players. It's easy to equate a poor performance to not trying but perhaps they're just down on confidence or feeling under pressure and have no clearly defined role.

OK, I couldn't get to today's game because of junior footy, so maybe I should not attend any further games? :confused:

Recorded it so can watch it soon, but 23 possies and 6 goals from Dayle looks a pretty fair game. And Underdog yes, most times you learn more from losses than wins and 2 poor losses can really reinforce what you are doing wrong and make you change. We'll see against Subi next week, I suppose, and then for the rest of the season.

A good win by the boys taking into account that everything was in favour of the opposition ..obviously umpire Worobec has an infatuation with Paul Bevan gifting him 5 free kicks in the goal square resulting in 5 very soft goals plus another very soft free to Tunbridge late in the game! :mad:
In spite of all of this & some more poor field kicking from us although an improvement on last week we got the job done in what turned out to be an absolute thriller! :)

Well at last we played to somewhere near our ability in the first 3 qtrs of the game vs Subi although the last qtr was a little disappointing ..but will take an 8 goal win at Leederville Oval any day of the week. Next week we take on South Freo at Fremantle Oval in yet another important game in our season.

Well yesterday was back to the status quo again for Swans this season with abysmal field kicking, handball crazy even if it is to a player in a worse position & then fail to lay a block/shepherd, absoltulely zero forward pressure, in fact I dont think Garlett, Ugle, Newman, Notte layed a tackle between them up there & yet somehow we only lost by 3 points at home for our 5th loss from 6 games at what is fast becoming a disturbing trend. We may as well roll out a welcome mat for Perth next weekend as they run out from the changerooms going on our atrocious home form! :mad:

Completely agree Spearhead. Was worried we wouldn't maintain it for 4 quarters and when Perth kicked the first 2 of the last thought, oh, we're just going to meander through the last, are we? We didn't.

Thought Ryan Davis was BOG. Lob is proving to be a very competent young ruckman, which we needed now that Lammie has walked out. Anyone know what was behind that? Bennell has improved more rapidly and dramatically than I thought, coming back from a knee. Elari, love the kid. Sure has a couple of brain fades but attacks hard and relentlessly. Twomey and Riggio getting back to some very good form. Ames, :footy::hearts:, what more can I say?
Enjoyed a beautiful spring afternoon at Basso yesterday, for once. :D

I also need to add freofan_mundy that Neale was fantastic yesterday. Best game of the year for him, by a country mile. He's been bog average all year but was really good yesterday. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The story is he walked out on the club after being told to come back from injury via reserves.

I suspect there is more to the story. Wes has been a great clubman for a number of years and this is pretty out of character.

The story is he walked out on the club after being told to come back from injury via reserves.

I suspect there is more to the story. Wes has been a great clubman for a number of years and this is pretty out of character.

What is it with Swans ruckmen ?, I thought only midfielders / "pretty boy" small forwards were prima donnas and spat the dummy!!.

Reminds me in some ways of Spandeman.

Still reckon it's a fight over parking spaces.

What is it with Swans ruckmen ?, I thought only midfielders / "pretty boy" small forwards were prima donnas and spat the dummy!!.

Reminds me in some ways of Spandeman.

Still reckon it's a fight over parking spaces.

The word on the street is that the rift is between Harding and Lammie.
Harding has burnt a lot of players and asst coaches.

I know of another high profile player who was on the verge of walking out earlier in the season too due to similar issues.

Yep Underdog, I heard those rumours too.

Im not the biggest fan of Harding as our coach (as you can see if you look through my posting history).

I think for us to progress he has to go.

Well done today guys. Your Swans showed up and played hard running and accountable footy.
Roughly a six goal win, had you kicked a little straighter it would have been a flogging.

Good win by the boys to beat the near on invincible Claremont on their home ground, with the Tigers gaining Blackwell & Foster before the bounce & Swans losing Neale & Hildabrandt from last weeks team.
Then we had the misfortune to have Newman going AWOL at qtr time & losing Howard injured not long after but the boys dug deep to grind out a very good win under the circumstances.
Lets hope we play with the same intensity against EP at Leederville next week especially after they got us by a couple of goals 2 months back at Basso!

Unfortunately referring back to my post from last week we didnt come to play with the intensity displayed vs Claremont & Perth for the majority of the 1st half and paid the ultimate penalty by dropping what was an 8 point game vs a team we are fighting for a place in the top 4 with.
How on earth we could be so lackadaisical in the 1st half with our season on the line still has me shaking my head like I have for the majority of the year!
A better 2nd half no doubts but where was that effort earlier I ask?
We even hit the front in the 3rd qtr but we then inexcusably allowed EP to kick 3 goals deep into red time before the 3 qtr time siren!
We now are in the position where we cannot afford to drop another game starting this week vs Peel at Rushton Park who I might add beat us down there earlier in the season when we picked 3 ruckman to play in the pouring rain!! :eek:o_O:confused::mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back