Black Ducks Supporters Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A good start to the day at Shark Park with the Colts & Reserves having good wins but any luck we may have had early evaporated in the very 1st second of the League match at the 1st centre bounce of the season with our No.1 Ruckman Blakely doing his knee and taking no further part in the match (and likely season) & also in the first half young Fletcher being cannoned into by Watson in doing so unfortunately breaking his ribs. That aside it was a very disappointing performance from The Ducks who for whatever reason seemed ill prepared for the contest compared to EF with a real lack of desperation to want the loose ball which on top of some very poor foot skills and terrible decision making made for an at times unwatchable game from a SD point of view. One good point from the day was there were a number of boys in the Ressies who put there hand up and to be honest were very unlucky not to be selected for this game who should all be in the mix this week with a few injuries already taking a toll plus some others whose form was not anywhere near at the required level yesterday.

One good point from the day was there were a number of boys in the Ressies who put there hand up and to be honest were very unlucky not to be selected for this game who should all be in the mix this week

Agreed, Dylan Smith, Wityk, and Rudy Riddoch looked very promising and could have easily replaced some players from the league team.

Well, I haven't seen a more depressing performance at Basso for the past decade. Don't worry, I've seen some in the 90a and early 00's that were bad, but this was up there.
We have a very young and inexperienced squad, so with all the injuries, it's going to be about getting games into those guys.
It's time for the leaders to lead, and we probably only have a handful of those, but they need to stand up now.
There is 1 saving grace at Basso, they have Miller's draught on tap for about $8 a pint. I might be getting used to that this season.....

Unfortunately swannies the few leaders we have at the club in Ames, Simpson, Blakely are all injured atm. Still early in the season I know but the early signs havent been good at all. Our midfielders just cant get their hands on the ball at all and when they do their decision making & ball use has been ordinary to say the least. Our inside 50 count in both games so far has been pitiful. The lack of talk and instructional talk to team mates 2 games in has been observed, we have a lot of quiet boys at the best of times they might need a bit of encouragement so get them involved. The skill level has been horrendous so far I cannot remember so many missed targets and when we do hit one we drop simple marks and the ball is turned over and we are opened up as there has also been not enough pressure to lock the ball up. The ball is being cleared away from stoppages far too easily as we havent spread as well as our opposition. All in all a tough start to the season and it doesnt get any easier in this comp, we can only hope our boys are learning from these losses (hopefully), we start to get a few back from injury soon and a bit of hunger for the contest. One positive so far was the debut of young ruckman Yukich yesterday who had 12 disposals & 50 hitouts lets hope a few more can put their hand up before the end of the season!

pretty sure Ames and Simpson played in that loss to EF mate, which was only 1 or 2 points less than the SF loss on Sat....so don't think lack of leadership/experience due to injury is SD problem mate ... Clutterbuck and Jetta replace the loss of Davis and Broad in terms of experience......yeah injuries always test a club, but SD reserves and colts played in GF last year, so you guys are covered better than most in terms of depth......sometimes success in the lower grades doesn't necessarily translate into league success.......doesn't help though when folk get lured to lower leagues on better coin for less effort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there is some light at the end of the tunnel with the Colts & Reserves boys both having very good wins especially the Reserves boys who were essentially playing against the real "Peel" minus a "few".
Alby continues to find the footy and deserves a League recall, was great to see Greaser & JD back on the park and both showed the qualities of a League regular, Rudy just has to play League as he has a certain something we currently dont have a lot of, Kirkup down back starting to get back to the form we know he is capable of, Watson & Holman both showing a League debut is knocking on the door, Hodge was another before pulling up a bit sore, Slater is one who has genuine leg speed which is something that is noticeably lacking in the ones, Murray can really find the footy just needs to eliminate a few errors in his kicking, Warwick is the best kick in the club by a mile and needs to be the designated kicker in from behinds in the League, Hackett is a real goer tho slight in build just bores in and is pretty slick deserves a go, Maguire was thrown into the middle were he had a great Colts season in 14 before doing a knee last year and really started to find the footy and is a real tough nut, Timmy Yorkshire up from the Colts, Power, Colbung, Sutton, Stack & Ipsen all show a bit and finally Dylan Smith is one who is really starting to find the form and confidence we know he is capable of clunking his marks and kicking well and a League debut is very close.
On the current League side once again our mids were smashed although Griffin & Hannath were giving FART an armchair service inside but a few of our more experienced bigger bodies in there are so completely out of form and lacking in confidence it isnt funny, our forwards are struggling with the lack of inside 50 service tho they have to make use of the few times it does get down there by locking the ball in our half, whilst the backs as per usual have kept us from getting complete hidings in the first 3 games tho it might be time to swing a few forward & mid to give us other options as the current mix is unfortunately just totally out of form and confidence plus we have been let down badly by some currently not playing who continue to let our great club down.

Sorry I missed today, had footy commitments. Expect to hear a full report Spearhead that looks like a fantastic result today!

Sorry I missed today, had footy commitments. Expect to hear a full report Spearhead that looks like a fantastic result today!
I did notice you and the young fella were not at the game yesterday swannies but to be honest mate you 2 were not the only regulars who failed to show up. Day started well with the Colts having a win against the perennial might of the Tiger Cubs who once again have plenty of quality that will see them playing Colts finals footy yet again Guelfi looks a League ready footballer if ever I have seen one and the electrifying pace shown by Shandley I havent seen since Lewis Jetta's 7 bounce run down the members side wing in the 1st Semi vs WP in 2009. But our boys hung tough into the wind in the last qtr and hung on for a 6 point win despite not having the kicking boots on.
The Reserves for the calibre of player we had on the park were very disappointing I must say. They allowed Claremont to dictate the terms from the outset and got a kicking for it. If only they showed some of the quality of footy we showed in the last qtr when the game was over a bit earlier we might have actually got the 4 points but it was a case of too little too late.
The League game started ok with an early goal to Alby into the wind but from that point on Claremont virtually had the ball in their half of the ground for the rest of the qtr 12 scoring shots to 1 we were probably lucky they didnt read the tricky breeze when shooting for goal. In the 2nd qtr we did fight back somewhat despite not playing that well we hit the scoreboard and levelled it up coming into half time until much like the Round 1 game down at EF we allowed the opposition to kick 2 goals at around the 30 min mark just before half time ...inexcusable really!
I thought in the 3rd qtr we started to play some decent footy and from memory we might have outscored them kicking into the breeze which was dying off and in fact was non existent in the last qtr when it came our turn to kick with it again (sums up our luck all year). Claremont actually kicked the first goal of the last qtr to give them about a 20 point lead but from then on it was an absolute dog fight which is where i believe we play our best football and we managed to scramble home the last 4 goals through sheer hard work and Cary taking a couple of strong pack marks and converted both, Clutterbuck scrambling one through from 40m & Kirky kicked a nice 60m goal on the run. The last 5 mins were just a deadset dog fight between both sides half back lines (our back line were very good yet again led by Ames) until the siren finally sounded to bring us a long overdue win and the 4 points that come with it. Hopefully the confidence we gain from this win can help get our season up and going after what can only be described as a tough start to this year both on and off the park!

A truly appalling display of WAFL footy yet again yesterday with SD once again nowhere near the mark of what should be an acceptable WAFL League standard in skill level, intensity, effort etc.
The youngsters (Logue fantastic on debut showing some of the others up badly) & the veterans can be excused but it is the middle range group of 23-27 yo 50-100 gamers who have been severely lacking in all areas of what should be a pre requisite to play League football.
How can one side have the numbers in a contest in our forward line scrounge it forward to the next line and have the numbers around the ball again and then find another opposition bloke in space all on his own? The answer is work rate and our blokes are so far off the pace in that regard it is actually embarrassing to witness. Lack of work rate on top of poor skill execution and just failure to do the basic 1%ers makes me wonder what exactly is going on down there this year??? The loss of Davis, Broad & Geappen obviously hurts in the class department as was the aborted attempt at recruiting Crowley as a player/coach on board on the eve of the season and no doubt an injury toll that includes over a dozen senior players (which in itself is unforgivable 6 rounds in) but that doesnt excuse the points noted above and the poor body language shown by a few of those mid range players yesterday. The only thing that has stopped 5 100 point floggings this year has been the poor execution on goal from the opposition in which i refer to in the standard of WAFL footy on display this year.
14 games left this season that is over before it has got anywhere near going one good thing tho it has shown some alarming holes in many facets of our group that need to be addressed asap and the search on now for playing stock capable of executing at WAFL League standard regularly and consistently not only from game to game but contest to contest!

Last edited:
One of those capable of executing at WAFL level has now been pissed off, I hear Spearhead. Elari gone to Lancelin because we couldn't/wouldn't guarantee him midfield time, is that right? Goodness sakes he's a decent midfielder, we've copped some hidings and we can't say we will play him in the midfield.
I reckon Perth will win today, sadly, but shall go and support and see what happens. Carn you black ducks!

One of those capable of executing at WAFL level has now been pissed off, I hear Spearhead. Elari gone to Lancelin because we couldn't/wouldn't guarantee him midfield time, is that right? Goodness sakes he's a decent midfielder, we've copped some hidings and we can't say we will play him in the midfield.
I reckon Perth will win today, sadly, but shall go and support and see what happens. Carn you black ducks!
Did you stay until the final siren swannies?
I will let someone else do a wrap up of this one as I am still shaking my head at the rubbish we have served up this season!

Did you stay until the final siren swannies?
I will let someone else do a wrap up of this one as I am still shaking my head at the rubbish we have served up this season!
Yep, sure did wait until the final siren and a few minutes afterwards. I found out that there are some angrier supporters than me Spearhead. :D Couple of blokes going off towards the players as they walked across the ground towards the eastern car park. Amesy waved them away.
I calmed down about an hour later.

How long has Harding got Swannie fans?....yeah I know SD have injuries and playing under strength, but to be honest Harding has seen SD go from 4th spot in 2014 to 6th spot in 2015 to a possible 9th spot in 2016....all with a relatively young side. Losing Davis has been huge for you guys, he appeared to be the glue which kept the team together especially through the middle. I know Harding is all about development, he is willing to blood colts eligible players and all that, but how well is he with those 2nd tier senior boys?.....some have failed to step up as expected to cover SD current injury crisis and the loss of Newman, Nelson, Ridley, Houghton and Elari to other pastures.....is Malaxos waiting in the wings a good thing for you guys?

I'll start with your last point Freezin No, Malaxos waiting in the wings is not a good thing.
I reckon he has until the end of the year, however, when your coach and FOM are getting decent coin, each, you would think that someone will come under pressure by the year's end. Injuries are a big part, but watching them play and hearing certain things over the fence, you can't help but think there is some locker room fractures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back