Black Mirror Season 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I really enjoyed the 3 episodes of Season 3, the last 3 not so much, but still enjoyed them various levels.

Bryce Dallas Howard has never looked better.

This. So much this.

I enjoyed all 6 episodes of Season 3.

Ep 6, Hated the Nation, had an obvious flaw.

Killer robot bees that recognise their targets by facial recognition could be thwarted by covering your face

Just resumed Black Mirror series, caught up from White Christmas special. Gee good stuff. not sure why I paused this series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've long thought Charlie Brooker was a bit of a flog – sure he gets the worst parts of society, but his little diatribes long come across as preachy, pretentious, and incredibly wanky. But this show shows it really well. I've only seen about three eps of the third season so far (the personal rating ep, the VR one, and the episode about the kid getting stung and trying to get out of it). I don't really like science fiction but I do love social criticism and this show does it really well.

So, I'm a bonafide fan.

Sometimes the cinematography and general feel of the shows can be really obvious. Yeah we get it – this is a hyper-reality, or a near future, or dramatised version of our present (a sort of self-conscious retrofuturism?) – so why do so many episodes rely on bright white rooms, minimalism, dead streets, airbrushed actors, and a general plastic feel? I get it and it works well but personally, as a sucker for looks and mood, it annoys me.

Some of these seem like a stoner conversation just stretched to episode ("wow, imagine if we all had, like, uber ratings! But for life!") but there's some stellar story writing in this. So many eps have things you see coming and then something else makes you go "ohhhhh s**t!" But so often there's this one final barb at the end, even just an off-the-cuff comment, and it changes the whole dynamic of makes you feel so much weirder and hit. It's really well done.

This one about the Saw-like to-do list was scary. I mean, yes, we all s**t to hide, and we all think about errors we've made or personal things we don't want out, but I liked the commentary on humanity; the commentary on things that don't evolve or change or signpost 2016: things like cruelty.

The way you see the older, married guy walk into his house relieved was so confronting. In a way, I was happy there was some sort of 'happy ending' considering I expected, and hoped (but happy it didn't happen, in the end) that Kenny's fate would remain ambiguous. But the way it hits is 'ohhhh *,' and then the dramas of all these other people is just as bad. But the worst thing was finding out Kenny himself was into what he was – I honestly just believed he was into normal pr0n himself, and when the pedophile he was fighting mentioned something about their ages, and Kenny went to fight him... I assumed that's what fired Kenny up – gave him some fire – but wow. The way that ended...

I left that episode feeling absolutely gutted. Still shocked and scared at that. I rarely get spooked by television these days, but this has given me it. Ugh.

Doesn't help I felt like I was watching a beautiful young Winona Ryder again, but does anyone else think San Junipero should have ended with Yorkie marrying her and the one of them dying basically then and there? Something far more beautiful, real, and romantic about that than anything else.

That middle half hour or so of Ep 2, the computer game one, wow, was awesome.

They tried a little too hard with the ending, was like they had several different ideas to end it and couldnt decide which so just went thru em all. But still, despite some flaws was such a great hour of TV.

The first one I enjoyed too, could've ended a little better too.

Haven't watched the others yet, haven't read this thread at all.

If anyone hasn't watched the Black Mirror White Christmas special from last year with the dude from Mad Men, be sure to.

I think it's my favourite of all, even more than White Bear - it's stayed with me more than any other one has so far because I just found the concept of it horrifying for some reason, even tho the ep isn't scary or anything.

They tried a little too hard with the ending, was like they had several different ideas to end it and couldnt decide which so just went thru em all. But still, despite some flaws was such a great hour of TV.
Sometimes I feel like they just add an extra twist or three for the sake of unpredictability and not necessarily goodness. That, or they want internet dialogue centring on preferences.

If anyone hasn't watched the Black Mirror White Christmas special from last year with the dude from Mad Men, be sure to.

I think it's my favourite of all, even more than White Bear - it's stayed with me more than any other one has so far because I just found the concept of it horrifying for some reason, even tho the ep isn't scary or anything.
Yeah that's my favourite too. Other top ones for me were 15 million merits, entire history of you and white bear, plus San junipere and hated in the nation from this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched White Christmas last night, actually freaked me out a bit. Awesome ep, mistake to watch it before bed though. :oops:

Watched 4 out of 6 eps of Season 3, def some of the best stuff getting around at the moment.

Shut Up and Dance was almost the most brutal I reckon. Maybe because it felt so straight-forward watching it (by this shows standards) but then to have the rug pulled out from under us like that, wow. The kid was brilliant.

Hated In The Nation was great but almost anti-climatic for me, convinced myself that either the male cop or Blue was working with the bee hacker dude; was waiting for the ridiculous OMFG moment. Looking back, I think it was a good ending.

White Christmas rightly getting plaudits too. Incredible show.

How did you guys sell this show to friends/others?

Just saying it's a sci-fi anthology doesn't really do it justice, but on the flip side it's not gonna be for everyone. Would you tell them to start with something like White Christmas? Or just watch it in seasonal order?

The National Anthem isn't one of the more amazing episodes, but I figured it's probably still a decent guide as to whether the show is gonna hook someone in, or not get it and just give you strange "that dude's into beastiality..." looks at work.

How did you guys sell this show to friends/others?

Just saying it's a sci-fi anthology doesn't really do it justice, but on the flip side it's not gonna be for everyone. Would you tell them to start with something like White Christmas? Or just watch it in seasonal order?

The National Anthem isn't one of the more amazing episodes, but I figured it's probably still a decent guide as to whether the show is gonna hook someone in, or not get it and just give you strange "that dude's into beastiality..." looks at work.
I recommend to people starting with Season 3, bigger budget and more engaging than the early stuff IMO.

I am dog/house sitting with access to Netflix and just had a chance to watch season 3 of Black Mirror. I have seen and loved the previous seasons. Watching season 3 in two days was not difficult. I love the uniqueness of this show's slant on technological change and social connection and influence, particularly the darkness of its vision which personally appeals.

Going a little against the tide here, I probably enjoyed Hated by the Nation as much as any, with Shut Up and Dance a very close second. If only TV could be consistently so riveting and entertaining as this show. It presents a world that is an extension of our reality, including the social forums replete with keyboard warriors, shooting down in flames those who dare to rise above or beyond the ordinariness and mediocrity of everyday life.

Look how we make scapegoats or whipping boys out of players on here. Do we ever stop to seriously consider the impact of our words?

Season 4 all episodes (6 again) releases December 29th on Netflix. "Metalhead" and "Black Museum" look pretty cool.
It seems a show that could go on a little too long but I'll watch. I'm in the mood to watch San Junipero again and stop watching close to the end. Man, what god damn romance.

Thanks for tipping me into this show peeps .... thought St Junipero was the best 60 minutes of tv I have seen for the year.
Though provoking and richly layered.
Loved that it mangaged to portray a relationship between two woman as pretty much a straight up love story.
It didn't need play the "social struggle" or "battling your idenity" card the way most gay relationships are portrayed
on TV.
That was refreshing for me and some pretty amazing writting too.

OUT NOW!

First one was great, cant get over how much that guy looks like Matt Damon though (Aaron Paul cameo at the end as well was a nice touch)

Looking forward to the rest

4 episodes down, Hang The DJ and Black Museum to go. Nothing San Junipero level so far, but typically there's enough ****ed up s**t going on to keep you glued to your screens.

Crocodile is brilliantly suspenseful, USS Callister is very of the moment (albeit a touch long IMO), Arkangel probably hits closest to home for most and Metalhead is pretty cool, though perhaps the weak one so far.

Arkangel:
Imagine checking in on your daughter with that thing and hearing her go "Yeah, * me harder!!" Jesus Christ...

That was a brilliant season imo. Only one episode I didn’t like. There’s been at least one each season (2 last) so one from 6 pretty good.

USS Callister was fantastic. Got this creepiness from a sadistic Matt Damon look alike (more so in this than anythiNg I’ve seen him in before) mixed with quite a few genuine laugh out loud moments for me.

Black museum. Loved this one too. Had a White Christmas thing going with the 3 different stories leading to the final conclusion. All the stories had me hooked. Also liked the museum pieces based on other episodes.

Hang the dj. Great again. Liked both the main characters. Story was enjoyable and built s nice little world.

Those 3 I’d have as the top tier for this season. Next level would be arkangel and metalhead. Both were good but not great imo. Metalhead could have been really good but the black and white didn’t do it for me and the dog chase scenes were too long. Arkangel was just ok. Nothing wrong with it but nothing that stood out.

Crocodile I didn’t like at all. Didn’t like the main character. Thought the ill just kill everyone who knows was stupid. Just couldn’t get into it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back