Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd April …

Four Blues facing tests​

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.
Availability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 23 April)
David CuninghamCalfAiming to be test to play next week. (Update: 23 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankConcussionProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 23 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsAchilles sorenessReceived a knock to Achilles on Saturday and was subbed out of the game.
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Billy WilsonConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.

All of a sudden our injury list is not looking so bad. Matt Carroll, Silvagni and Docherty could be the only ones on that list in a couple of weeks. Hollands (susp), Martin, Weitering, Walsh, Marchbank and Motlop all sound very close to returning to playing. It's also a lot of talent to inject into a team that is already winning. Some players with decent form will have to come out of that side which is tough but this is what premiership lists look like. Something we haven't seen since 1995.
Why would you do this?

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cripps said at a footy function tonight that Walsh would be playing games right now if it was up to Walsh. Cripps said Walsh is in really great nic and doing all the right things to play soon. Also said that Walsh trained with midfield last session and in typical fashion had 50 touches in 10 minutes 😍

Cripps said at a footy function tonight that Walsh would be playing games right now if it was up to Walsh. Cripps said Walsh is in really great nic and doing all the right things to play soon. Also said that Walsh trained with midfield last session and in typical fashion had 50 touches in 10 minutes 😍
Great news … albeit Walsh was advertised as attending but was a late omission.

Great news … albeit Walsh was advertised as attending but was a late omission.
Wasn't at the Hall of Fame dinner on Monday either which is a compulsory event for all players as they have to attend with their sponsors. Apparently couldn't attend due to 'rehab for injury' which was the same for SOS and Docherty too.

Maybe just don't want those guys getting pestered by every second attendee looking for the inside word on their recovery.
This undoubtedly is a factor the club considers in the best interests of its player. I'm sure the club also recognises the potential that such management approaches might also add to skepticism about the legitimacy of public communications re: Walsh.

The club was probably worried about Fev having one too many drinks and attempting a speccy on Sam Walsh’ back.

This undoubtedly is a factor the club considers in the best interests of its player. I'm sure the club also recognises the potential that such management approaches might also add to skepticism about the legitimacy of public communications re: Walsh.
I really don’t expect honesty or transparency around injuries from the club, so I don’t pay much attention to what players or officials publicly say about them.

When Walshy is named, then I’ll believe he’s good to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I'm putting my tin foil hat on for a moment here, do we think clubs are deliberately vague re injury list details so that it makes it more difficult for upcoming opposition to scout, manage loads etc? Or is this a stretch and clubs mainly focus on their own backyard?

Ok I'm putting my tin foil hat on for a moment here, do we think clubs are deliberately vague re injury list details so that it makes it more difficult for upcoming opposition to scout, manage loads etc? Or is this a stretch and clubs mainly focus on their own backyard?
100% they are doing this. They are being vague for a purpose

sam walsh is choosing to walk in a p-5000 powered work loader, this has nothing to do with his back injury

Opposition clubs would have far more idea than anyone in the media or those on an online forum.

It’s childish, the AFL like to emulate everything American sport so it’s about time they put the same scrutiny on injury announcements as they do over there

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Opposition clubs would have far more idea than anyone in the media or those on an online forum.

It’s childish, the AFL like to emulate everything American sport so it’s about time they put the same scrutiny on injury announcements as they do over there

Maaaaaaybe in grand final week? Otherwise, no.

People want certainty. Clubs often don't have it. If the club was being completely transparent about, say, Walsh's injury, it would probably look something like this:

"We estimate a 60% chance he'll be playing by end of March, 35% chance by end of April, 5% chance it'll be longer. Those estimates depend on him hitting half a dozen different milestones at expected times. The estimates could change at any time in either direction due to any number of factors. We'll also be making judgement calls throughout the process to ensure that we don't sacrifice his long term prospects for a short term gain."

I'm making up the numbers, but you get the idea. That's the kind of situation they're managing. But if they came out with a statement like that they'd be ripped to shreds here and in the media by people who don't understand probabilities, don't deal well with uncertainty, or expect the club to look as if it is completely in control of every detail at all times.

Far better to release info on your own terms, minimise the media feeding frenzy, and focus on the player's actual wellbeing.

You do know that American sports are so strict on injury reporting because so much of their revenue comes from betting? Got nothing to do with caring about fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back