Walker - possible retirement
Dick
Viojo-Rainbow - if he doesn't show anything at VFL level
Holman - needs to show consistency
Whiley - as per Holman
Smith - if improvement doesn't come
Foster - as per Smith
Sheehan - if elevated and if reinjured.

So some not so much in front of those two but plenty of players yet to prove themselves consistently. Another year on the list, greater expectations to be lived up to.
I agree with all of them but Rainbow and Smith. Will need a minimum three years before you make a call. Rainbow is only 19. I watched him in the twos this year and his kicking skill is elite. Decision making needs to improve which will come with confidence and development. Once he puts on more size I'm confident he can play in the seniors.

Dick
Whiley - as per Holman
Foster - as per Smith

That's my point, if we sign Army and White to 2 year deals then we'll have to cut several players under 20 games, unfairly if they have shown something.

5 of those players have only been at the club 12 months

I like Armfield. Has his negatives but what you get without fail is 100% effort. Can play the Puopolo role whilst we turn over this team. Likewise White. Both deserve a 2 year deal to see us through whilst we bring in more talented players. 2 years isn't to long for 2 blokes that play their role with 100% effort all the time. We can't change our team over night it will take 2-3 years to be consistently competitive. I'd much rather reward them than keep some pea heart that has talent and wants out. I hate that player wearing the navy blue.
Neither deserve a two year deal. Giving multi year deals to White's and Armfield's is partly what got us in to this mess. Happy to give them a year at a time as long as they are contributing.

That's my point, if we sign Army and White to 2 year deals then we'll have to cut several players under 20 games, unfairly if they have shown something.

5 of those players have only been at the club 12 months

I agree that they shouldn't get 2 year contracts however they are better than all of those players (aside from Walker and Simpson obviously) as it stands.

1 year down the track though ... the landscape would have shifted greatly. Some will spring up, some will go nowhere, some will fail to cope with what Bolton tries to implement.

12 months away yet. Some of those kids might not come on, might pay out Jones's contract. A lot can happen in 12 months. I don't mind giving cheap 2 year contracts to a couple of good servants of the club. Might lack a bit of class but they respect and love the jumper and that's good enough for me when trying to build the next list and teaching the kids to do the same.

Nick Graham wins his own ball, and I think he'll have a pretty good year next year. Even Curnow. In fact i'd almost rather Curnow at the bottom of packs dishing it out than relying on his kicking. Losing Bell will hurt.

This for sure. Ed is a "great" tagger. We are not ready to stop the role yet, but I am sure Bolts will work
towards it. His role, and work rate, has isolated Curnow with the pill too many times, often without options
presenting up the ground. Has good hands in close, Graham and Whiley may go past him, but I would
rate Ed our 2nd best inside mid if used there.

You have to turn over approx. 10 players a year.

So the question is, who do we have earmarked to delist in 2016 ahead of White and Armfield?

Surely after this year, those days are behind us. We have largely "righted the ship", assuming adequate
player development.

Will be about recruiting "silk" next year.

Definitely agree our older fringe players should only get one year though. With Weitering and one or
more or Plowman and Carlisle, no place for Whitey. 2 years would be madness regardless of how good
a bloke he is. Hopefully a couple go past Army too, if not we are botching the build.

Neither deserve a two year deal. Giving multi year deals to White's and Armfield's is partly what got us in to this mess. Happy to give them a year at a time as long as they are contributing.
Their contracts would be small.

Dont really understand the length of term either myself, I would be interested to know if the 2nd year is the same as we offered Jarrad Waite where by it is mostly performance based.

Potentials:

Tutt
Jones - pay out last year
Simpson - possible retirement
Walker - possible retirement
Dick
Whiley - as per Holman
Foster - as per Smith

So some not so much in front of those two but plenty of players yet to prove themselves consistently. Another year on the list, greater expectations to be lived up to.
I would add Thomas and Warnock to that list.
Armfield and White haven't yet proven themselves AFL standard footballers. Army will be 29 next year. There age alone should mean that they'd be right up there next year when the list is culled.

I would add Thomas and Warnock to that list.
Armfield and White haven't yet proven themselves AFL standard footballers. Army will be 29 next year. There age alone should mean that they'd be right up there next year when the list is culled.

I've already assumed Warnock will be gone this year.

Thomas will still have a year on his contract if he got 4 years originally. Won't be paying out $600k+ for a list spot. Besides, I expect him to go well next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have liked us to have a look at Seedsman.

large.jpg

For White and Armfield to have received new 2 year deals then the club clearly sees them as having something to give.
What are their attributes? Are they there to provide the new guys with a grace period?
SOS has not given out new contracts, just because.

Barrett on sunday footy show, "Carlisle has chosen St Kilda and talks are well advanced, no other club in the running."...

This will be interesting. Some posters in the know have stuck their necks out re:Carlisle.
It's not just Stevens saying Blues....Barrett could be proven a fraud of the highest order if Carlisle doesn't end up at the Saints. Very curious in the outcome now...

2 years on what - not much I'd say. Also both White and Armfield are very good depth. Armfield does a good job as a defending forward an White is a willing 3rd tall either end - both better than Jones and Tutt.

For White and Armfield to have received new 2 year deals then the club clearly sees them as having something to give.
What are their attributes? Are they there to provide the new guys with a grace period?
SOS has not given out new contracts, just because.

I reckon they will be 1+1 deals

If true, I am not surprised that we've given new contracts to both Armfield and White. Both have shown they can contribute at AFL level and will be good depth for next year.

That they are both also seen as good club men will certainly have helped their cause as well.

I am slightly surprised by the length of the contracts if it is true that both have been signed for a further two years. Would have thought that one year would be sufficient.

This will be interesting. Some posters in the know have stuck their necks out re:Carlisle.
It's not just Stevens saying Blues....Barrett could be proven a fraud of the highest order if Carlisle doesn't end up at the Saints. Very curious in the outcome now...
I'm more interested to see who gets egg on their face than who gets Carlisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back