Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be pedantic but the 220 game thing is quite simply not true.

Murphy played games 215 - 236 in 2017 and averaged 29.81 disposals per game and won our best and fairest

He played games 237 - 249 in 2018 (copped an injury and missed a few) and averaged 26 disposals a game.

He played games 250 - 268 in 2019 and averaged 25.42 disposals a game and finished 8th in our best and fairest. Not earth shattering but still solid.

In 2020 from game 269 onwards his output began to drop with just under 19 disposals a game for the year. A drop clearly but suggestive if a different role playing more half forward than on ball.

Just thought that it needed clearing up as things left unchallenged here gave a habit of being accepted as fact.

The real question that needs to be asked is not of the performance of champions and the so called human milestones. But of those that make them important and why we place so much weight on them.
  • Marc Murphy is a champion whether he played 292 or 300.
  • A batsman/women that makes 99 or 101. Both equally significant. Way more important are averages, strike rates, opposition, the conditions & moments you make them in.
Doubt Bradman would be seen in different light if he averaged 100 rather than 99.99. A champion is a champion.

But if you attempt to achieve a milestone it must be done with integrity.

Last edited:
Don't get the Murphy negativity...
He is an absolute Carlton ledged.. Has done more for Carlton FC and the game than all of us combined..

300 Game Player
6x years Carlton Captain
2x John Nicholls Medal winner
2011 All-Australian team
2008 Australian representative honours in international rules football
2011 AFL Coaches' Association (AFLCA) Champion Player of the Year
2006 AFL Players Association (AFLPA) Best First Year Player
2006 AFL Rising Star nominee
2005 Larke Medal

Great summary Tenacious.
I have resisted weighing in on the Murphy debate, but I find it has triggered my injustice button.
I get that he was not at his best in the last 2 years, but I don't think he was taking the spot of someone that could perform alot better.
In our previous era, with stars right through the side, he would have been a superstar.
It's well documented he carried the side for many years, ALA Judd.
We have had previous champions, like Sticks, Kouta, SOS, G Williams, etc. etc that all lost some of their peak performance in the latter years due to age and injuries. M Murphy is no different. He just didn't have the the player depth, support, game style etc to lead us to greater success.
He should be remembered as a Carlton great, a loyal brave servant and respected as such.
Stop the backstabbing and lets now embrace the prospect of an exciting era to come and not put s**t on an exiting champion. Poor form I think.
That's my say, for what it's worth, fellow Carlton supporters.

G’day all, I’ve only been skimming the board recently, so apologies if this has already been well and truly thrashed out, but does anyone have much insight into Charlie Constable?

I saw a little bit of him at VFL level, where he seemed to excel, but admittedly haven’t seen much of him at AFL level.

Is he a victim of Geelongs existing (albeit ageing) midfield talent, or perhaps just not yet able to replicate the same standard at AFL level?

Is he a victim of Geelongs existing (albeit ageing) midfield talent, or perhaps just not yet able to replicate the same standard at AFL level?

Slow. I've heard he's improved on it a bit in the last couple of years. but my understanding is he's still quite slow and struggles on the spread from contest. Not sure we're a good fit for him.

That's a dumb argument. I wouldn't say it to his face as that's incredibly rude to just walk up to someone and tell them you thought their last 3 years of work was pretty bad..

I also wouldn't post it on his instagram.

Discussing it on an internet forum is completely different though. We're discussing what we think of AFL players, some of those thoughts are going to be negative. There's a huge difference between that and stalking down a player to tell them to their face you think they're sh*t.
There's a difference between discussing a players ability and blatantly knocking his ability and slating him without anything constructive of note.

You do know that alot of players that suffer depression and anxiety are due to media and fan criticism of them. I'd rather someone say it to my face than anonymously on a forum or social media although I personally wouldn't do either

On SM-N986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

IF ...

Damo wasn't such a sausage with his critical comments of Carlton

THEN ...

The footy world would be a better place.

What you're saying doesn't mean we're not a destination club either Damo, but what does mean we are a destination club is getting quality people choose Carlton over others. Hello Cerra. Hello Cook.

All indicators point to Murphy playing two years too many.

I put the blame on the Football dept for that and they’ve mostly been moved on now.

The line has most definitely been drawn under that time now by Sayers and it’s time to look forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It happens, champions go on too long.

Ricky Ponting and Matty Hayden were and are absolute freaks of the game and outright champions. Both played longer than they should've. It takes some very strong willed managers/ coaches to be able to tell players like ponting and hayden they are done. Probably the same for a club captain in Murph.

It shouldn't impact their legacy and the way they're thought of overall. It shouldn't impact Murphs legacy either.

I think Murph deserves to be remembered for his great traits, achievements and as a club captain.

Yes, we dragged him to 300, but that's the least he deserves.

I will remember as a gun that at one time was pretty much the best player in the comp.

Melbourne did it with Nathan Jones.

Plenty of clubs do it, it's a nice way to honour champion players who have provided over a decade of service.

Murphy accomplished a lot in his career given how bad the club as a whole has been and the list/coaches around him.

As you said, was one of the best players in the comp for a while and won an AFL coaches award. I'll definitely remember some of his recent game winning goals, like the checkside against Freo a few years ago.

Cant help but think his career would have gone so much better if drafted to a different club...Collingwood had pick 2 and Hawthorn pick 3 that year. He would have been far more successful and seen as a better player at either club.

I think Murph deserves to be remembered for his great traits, achievements and as a club captain.

I will remember as a gun that at one time was pretty much the best player in the comp.

1634267752002.png

Some people around here really can get worked up for and against a player. To me 1 game or 300+ games you wore the guernsey of this great club so well done and thank you.

just that flash of him and his beautifully weighted kick inboard in that fev vid I posted the other day brings back great memories of a young fella undone by injury and lousy, lousy birth timing.........what his career might have ended up like at brisbane is anybody's guess.............

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get the Murphy negativity...
He is an absolute Carlton ledged.. Has done more for Carlton FC and the game than all of us combined..

300 Game Player
6x years Carlton Captain
2x John Nicholls Medal winner
2011 All-Australian team
2008 Australian representative honours in international rules football
2011 AFL Coaches' Association (AFLCA) Champion Player of the Year
2006 AFL Players Association (AFLPA) Best First Year Player
2006 AFL Rising Star nominee
2005 Larke Medal

5qhev1.jpg

IF ...

Damo wasn't such a sausage with his critical comments of Carlton

THEN ...

The footy world would be a better place.

What you're saying doesn't mean we're not a destination club either Damo, but what does mean we are a destination club is getting quality people choose Carlton over others. Hello Cerra. Hello Cook.
Did you see how we got dragged in his West Coast one too?

That's a dumb argument. I wouldn't say it to his face as that's incredibly rude to just walk up to someone and tell them you thought their last 3 years of work was pretty bad..

I also wouldn't post it on his instagram.

Discussing it on an internet forum is completely different though. We're discussing what we think of AFL players, some of those thoughts are going to be negative. There's a huge difference between that and stalking down a player to tell them to their face you think they're sh*t.

A better standard to apply is the Jordan Russell test: assume the player in question is reading this thread

A better standard to apply is the Jordan Russell test: assume the player in question is reading this thread

I agree. but there is a different standard to what is acceptable when it's unwanted advice following them VS when they look for it. ie DM'ing or speaking to the player in the street. VS the player going out and searching for information on the forums.

If i say Michael Gibbons is VFL standard player not AFL player, that's an acceptable thing to say in this forum. or on Facebook comments on an AFL related page. but isn't acceptable to say on his instagram or to his face.

I agree. but there is a different standard to what is acceptable when it's unwanted advice following them VS when they look for it. ie DM'ing or speaking to the player in the street. VS the player going out and searching for information on the forums.

If i say Michael Gibbons is VFL standard player not AFL player, that's an acceptable thing to say in this forum. or on Facebook comments on an AFL related page. but isn't acceptable to say on his instagram or to his face.
I for one, wouldn't have any issue if commentary in this place was along these lines. Not a problem in the world.

We got 2 first rounders for Gibbs. Simpson and Murphy were very valuable leadership wise. Would have been worse without them

Pure guess work. Were they valuable leaders? You have no idea of knowing whether we would have been worse or not without the "leadership" of Simpson and Murphy.

You're so far off the mark with your comments that it isn't even funny. Stocker was not asked to make any comment on Murphy at all. He was asked whether he had a mentor at the club who helped him through the tough times that he'd experienced. He had no hesitation in naming Murphy as the person who had taken him under his wing and helped him, not only in a football sense but also outside of football.

I have no doubt that what he said was a 100% true representation, if it wasn't, there was no need to even mention Murphy.

Over the years, there have been a lot of our young players who have said similar things about Murphy without being prompted to or being asked directly about Murphy.
I can see it now, Murphy goes through their video review with them, tells them off for putting their head over the ball and let's them know you can get away with kicking the ball off the ground or going to ground like you've been shot by a sniper....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

my thinking is that comment is unacceptable on any 'supporters' forum - let's be fair dinkum here, what is this place? a supporters forum or a place where you can say what you like with regard to club players - the latter really doesn't sound like a club supporters forum to me at all - yes, criticism of a player is well and good - how you say it, what words you use, how often you say it and with what underlying agenda are all points that need to be taken into account
I've never really considered this a club supporters forum. I've always thought of it as a Carlton discussion forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back