Booing players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk about "storm in a tea cup"
Fancy entertainers being booed by an audience....

It's pantomime, it's theatre, the villains get booed and hissed at and it makes everyone feel part of the play. Hang on, if folks aren't allowed to boo are they allowed to barrack? To clap, whistle and sing? I remember the atmosphere at those Covid fixtures (NONE) and that didn't inspire any sort of herculean feats from the players.
If coaches and administrators really wanted to "protect" their players from "booing"....they'd shut down the internet because social media is surely more toxic than a few thousand punters booing someone at a footy game.

Booing is really bad is it? Players out on the field really take what "invisible voices in the crowd" say? Do they get all excited when we clap?
My guess is if we asked players which they found more offensive....booing or taking a pay cut they'd tell us they didn't give a toss about the crowd noise.

Tell you the truth: I don't boo that much, never have but there have been occasions
  • At Moorabbin in 1972 when Johnny Greening was kinghit, I booed and pointed at O'Dea cos I'd seen the incident...and I nearly jumped the fence.
  • Every subsequent time Jimmy O'Dea ever played against us
  • 1980 Night Grand Final when everyone at Waverley heard the siren except the umpire!!!
  • 1978 Final where I booed Phil Carman for being a sook (he was a huge sook when he wanted to be) so yeah I booed a Collingwood player?
  • Jacko...I booed him
That's about it though. I don't see booing as a problem, AFL is a crowd involving sport that has heroes and villains. If we analyse it too seriously and sterilise the experience of being in the crowd then it just becomes a TV sport. I'd rather the emotion.

Ok, lets cut to the chase.

1) People are essentially sheep, if one person boos then many will follow.
2) Could it be that as supporters we are constantly told the draft is sacrosant, and equalization is the savior of the AFL.
3) So when a leader of a club (KH), tells us we need to respect a 19 year old, whilst at the same time he is shafting the draft system his club joined and agreed to be a part of (to keep clubs like his afloat) forgive me if I raise my middle finger.
4) No diff to Ollie Henry leaving after year 2.
5) This has opended the flood gates and I say to any parent out there with a son that maybe drafted one day, if he follows the Pies, tell him to suck it up for 2 years (wherever he is picked to go) and then seek a trade to the Pies :cool:

So should we stop booing umpires, or are they fair game? What about when the team's played an insipid half of football and they get booed off. Should that be outlawed?
FFS. If he can't handle booing, he's playing the wrong sport. Perhaps he should try golf or tennis.

Ok, lets cut to the chase.

1) People are essentially sheep, if one person boos then many will follow.
2) Could it be that as supporters we are constantly told the draft is sacrosant, and equalization is the savior of the AFL.
3) So when a leader of a club (KH), tells us we need to respect a 19 year old, whilst at the same time he is shafting the draft system his club joined and agreed to be a part of (to keep clubs like his afloat) forgive me if I raise my middle finger.
4) No diff to Ollie Henry leaving after year 2.
5) This has opended the flood gates and I say to any parent out there with a son that maybe drafted one day, if he follows the Pies, tell him to suck it up for 2 years (wherever he is picked to go) and then seek a trade to the Pies :cool:
Yep at present our game is modelled on the big overseas football games in that a young player is drafted - often away from kith and kin to the other side of the country- remember these are 19 years old.

Yes they are legally men - but still very attached to family and school friends - and they are entering a system that is a meat market.

This is partly the fault of the AFL (mainly) and partly the fault of player managers who may be some of the most money hungry beings this side of Trantor.

So forgive me if I laugh - heartily - at the AFL's posturing in the last few days about freedom for players to move.

Considering it's thier draft rules - and in particular the rules that prop up franchises - that have caused this.

But back to the core of the thread.

At present the media controls the story - to the detriment of many young men - just witness the young Australian playing overseas who may have had his back broken in a frenzied on field attack.

It has to stop, we can no longer allow young men to be placed in jeopardy for an extra few clicks on a by-line.

Last edited:
So should we stop booing umpires, or are they fair game? What about when the team's played an insipid half of football and they get booed off. Should that be outlawed?
FFS. If he can't handle booing, he's playing the wrong sport. Perhaps he should try golf or tennis.

The umpires get booed for what the fans think is a wrong decision. If it’s an especially bad decision, the boos might follow that umpire around for a bit. They are also booed where the free kick count is obviously unbalanced.

In many ways this is an Aussie Rules tradition, and I’m not aware of individual umpires being all that affected by it. It’s kind of a generic umpire booing.

But the JHF booing seems to happen whenever he gets the ball, takes a mark, goes for goal etc. Its constant and it’s mindless. And we’ve been told it’s negatively affecting a kid. Just like it did for Ginni last year.

So there’s booing and there’s booing. It’s part of footy, but when it takes the form of harassing a kid who’s new to the game, it should stop.

As for olly henry, I’d imagine that was a one off for his first game against Collingwood. It’s almost tradition to boo an ex player in his first game against his teammates, especially if it was a bit of an ugly exit. That too will subside naturally.
Good Chance he will get Booed again by Pie Fans

The umpires get booed for what the fans think is a wrong decision. If it’s an especially bad decision, the boos might follow that umpire around for a bit. They are also booed where the free kick count is obviously unbalanced.

In many ways this is an Aussie Rules tradition, and I’m not aware of individual umpires being all that affected by it. It’s kind of a generic umpire booing.

But the JHF booing seems to happen whenever he gets the ball, takes a mark, goes for goal etc. Its constant and it’s mindless. And we’ve been told it’s negatively affecting a kid. Just like it did for Ginni last year.

So there’s booing and there’s booing. It’s part of footy, but when it takes the form of harassing a kid who’s new to the game, it should stop.
Very true VP one is a social standard and the other is specifically designed to intimidate - as others have said Bucks copped it his entire career, Ginni copped it and now JHF.

It's a disgrace and very definitely anti social lynch mob mentality generated by the media.

I’d say he does give a crap. He was emotional in that presser, as there has been mention that JHF has suffered offfield, and questioned his passion for the game if it continues. So I’d say Ken cares a lot.

I don’t like booing, never have. Just a pack mentality of bullying someone on an industrial scale. The Goodes saga was awful. The Jack G saga also didn’t make sense. Shouldn’t be what our game is about

Well Goodes was Booed because he played for Free Kicks.

Jack G was an easy Target as play for Collingwood so easy to get non-pie fans to Boo him

So people want it be like Tennis when no one is allowed to make a Noise during the Game?
TradeDrat (god no, Melb FC has enough of those supporters LOL)......it's bad enough watching AFL games by minow teams (Just look at Saints v Power)..half empty stands, shite atmosphere.
Sadly you can sit at games and wonder if the people around you are cardboard cuts outs some times
Others are so envious of the noise we generate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely not from me TD - it's not so much booing as it is malicious booing- orchestrated and focused and vindictive.

That is definitely UN Australian.

What makes it Un-Australian

No it won't incite it - the media needs the AFL far more than the AFL needs the media.

Every media outlet that 'incites' gets banned - TOTALLY.

And the AFL isn't without resources itself in the media arena.

Remember Packer and the ACB?

It will work in reverse you know.
Do you honestly think the story of media bans to protect JHF from being boo'ed would not incite more booing of JHF?

Sometimes inaction is the best action.

There isn’t one point in this comment that is correct.

Suffice to say I applaud a kid taking ownership of his own career and making the appropriate choices to get as much out of it as he can.

Leaving the Paupers was the correct call. As was Henry’s move. Where they were selected has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every point is correct and fact!!!

Do you honestly think the story of media bans to protect JHF from being boo'ed would not incite more booing of JHF?

Sometimes inaction is the best action.
No - inaction as a response to aggressively vindictive behaviour is NEVER, EVER,EVER the best action.

I tried it in my youth a number of times and without exception it ALWAYS got worse.

If you want a vivid example I will give you 2 names.

Neville Chamberlain.

Adolf Hitler.

You can never back down to bullies because they will destroy you if they get the chance.

Please, you all know why supporters Boo him. Don't act like you can't understand it..
Whether you like it or not is more the point, but don't say "i don't understand why...

1) He really wanted to be pick 1, and would have gone to play for Syria if that's what it would have taken.
2) He knew he would only stay there for 1 year, and then ask for a trade, in the middle of his contract, to be back to be close to his Mum (Worse than our little Ollie - At lease Ollie stayed until his contract ended).
3) He played less games than there are eggs in a carton, yet he though he knew better than a ruckman that played 300 games, and the rest of the senior players.
4) He though it would be great to argue with his team while he was playing matches, and also while walking off at the end of a game.
4) He though he knew better than the conditioning staff, and chose to ignore the procedures of rehab after games.
5)The kid is a flog. He is lucky he has skils in football, because i shudder to think where he would be without Footy.

And the reason the booing will continue is because the media keep pointing it out after games. Tell an aussie to stop doing something, and you know what the attitude is.. :F*%k them, they won't tell me what to do..

1). Nonsensical. He was selected by the Paupers. His only involvement in the process was that he had a brilliant 2/3 years in development footy to get drafted at No.1.

2). Absolutely not. His only motivation was to play footy. When he was given Tarryn Thomas as his mentor is when the Paupers created this ClusterF$&@k of a situation. Image the guy who has charges against him and is banned from the club. Is now your mentor who you need to follow and learn from. Yeah right. So with all the other crap that followed. He chose to leave. And not when he was drafted. They forced the kid out with all the crap that was being leaked behind the scenes. I don’t blame him for leaving either. Not that sh1t hole. His career is his own. As a top end talent. You don’t want that destroyed by a basket case of a club.

3). Unlike yourself I actually kept an eye on him. And he was brilliant for them in the first few months of his preseason. The kid was flying and one of their best in all their Intra club games and practice matches. He was just as impactful as Nick. But there was this one thing that was happening. And it was happening to Nick also. The old firm weren’t willing to relinquish their status as top dogs. Now at the Pies Nick has a family name as well as his brother. But Nick also has a coach that knows who he is and knows what he has got. The Puapers on the other hand are a tail wagging the dog type of footy club. So when JHF demanded more from them all. They took umbrage to it. And that’s when all the problems started. The rest couldn’t accept that a kid knew better.

4). Your eyes must be painted on if you think that he had no business questioning what was going on. I suggest you watch his games and see exactly what was happening. And not trust the msm and their biased take on things. This kid was playing the same way as he is now earlier on. Yet the halfwits at the Paupers would bypass him and not honor his run and call for the ball. Well how often do you think you should do this before you see that there is no possible way of success here. Now if this was isolated at the Paupers I’d say the kid should pull his head in. But it’s not. They have a serious problem there and that’s why they’ve gone through so many coaches in the past 5/6 years. The treatment that Rhyce Shaw copped was diabolical from the playing group. Especially how he was lulled by them to take on the caretakers role only to be chased out of Dodge after his first full season. And you think a first year kid was to blame for the Sh1tshow that is the Paupers. Really.

5). The conditioning staff, the coaching department, the football department take your pick. Where ever the stories were coming from they were never going to help the retention of JHF. And why would you stay. Especially if all of the things they may have been happening were being leaked. And dropping the kid didn’t have a detrimental effect on him. He would go back to the VFL and dominate. You can check his stats there. But you need to ask yourself one thing. The Paupers were very unhappy with JHF for whatever reasons. Yet they tolerated Stephenson for the most part. Anyone remember that game where he Stephenson totally ballsed up a kick in and then sunk his head and turned his back on the oncoming player who kicked the goal. It was horrendous. And I think Stephenson had a similar brain fart or lacked any intensity to chase that day. To the point he’d given up. Yet the filling week he still played. Nothing was said about him. Nor was he dropped for his poor performance. Yet JHF was being held to a standard far greater than anything expected of someone on $500K a year.

6). The kid isn’t a flog. Just because he wants more than a club like the Paupers can offer. He isn’t responsible for making them better. They need to provide an environment that allowed him to become better. And they failed. So why is he obligated to stay. Especially when he is as talented as he is. Just like Henry, we ballsed that up. And I don’t blame the kid for wanting a better outcome for himself. Ask yourself now, who the Pupers have on their list who is better than JHF currently. Possible 3/4 players. And that’s including Sheezel of course.

I really don’t care if you boo. I’m not too fussed whether people want to do it. Just have a full understanding of what’s actually happened and not what you’ve heard from media hacks trying to creat a story. To an agenda driven by the scorned pathetic excuse of a club. That’s the Paupers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nah TW it's not about whether players like it or not - well at least it's not for me.

For me it's about a few knuckle draggers who have managed to convince the Australian gutter media to protect them whilst they stir up lynch behaviour.

It's about the AFL failing to provide a safe and enjoyable workplace for their employees.

And most of all it's about not condoning thuggish behaviour and protecting those that use it from the consequences.

In actual fact - on the street this sort of behaviour attracts harassment - or if it's severe and prolonged enough assault charges.

Our game is part of the wider community and should reflect those values which that community upholds.

That's my take on it anyway.

You have to take away the power of the clowns booing. Atm they think they are getting to him because of the commentary.

Say you like the boos and they lose their power

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Remove this Banner Ad

Back