BOOO-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people who persist in the booing of aboriginal players, gingers players and the players with brown eyes ect shall be sent to camps for 're education'.

The only time booing shall be acceptable is for blue eyed blonde haired players. We shall call this Affirmative Action

Interesting level of vitriol directed against WC fans by the Melbourne Media Mafia.

In particular one Gary Lyon who was part of the Melbourne FC concerted racially based on field campaign against Chris Lewis (along with the Lovett brothers, Viney and others).

Probably no more strident critic of racism than the two ends of the spectrums, the reformed racist and those that are but do not feel they can express themselves.

I wonder which one Mike Shehan is?

Strawman argument #983. The AFL doesn't want to ban booing. It wants people to stop booing Adam Goodes every time he touches the ball. If he were booed when he pushes off for a free, or tackles someone high, or complains to an ump, this wouldn't be an issue. It's an issue because the booing of Goodes goes above and beyond the booing of any other player.

The AFL is a private organisation and if you are attending their events, they can limit your free speech in whatever way they like. As for them alienating their fans, as a fan I would be alienated if the AFL had not come out this week and taken a stand against the treatment tha Goodes has been receiving. Many other fans like myself think the booing is ugly and embarrassing. You seem to be under the impression that everyone feels the same way that you do, an impression which is probably being skewed by the opinions on this site (a population which is decidedly younger, more male, more passionate about footy than the average punter at a match).

Isn't this pretty much the textbook definition of selfishness? Disregarding the wishes of another individual (not to mention everybody else in AFL) because "they haven't done anything for me personally"?

What a pointless couple of ideas. Even the stupidest bogan is smart enough to know that you can't just say "well yeah I'm booing him because he's black." If there is racism involved, it's always going to be more subtle than that. Look at some of the criticisms against him in this thread. He didn't deserve AOTY(maybe not, but he didn't nominate himself either). He should've just said thank you for the award and kept his mouth shut (ridiculous suggestion). He talked about invasion day (which is a completely cynical misrepresentation of his actual comments). He belittled a teenaged girl for days (no he didn't). He was too selfish to be a sub (no, he wanted to find form and improve match fitness in NEAFL). Etc, etc. It's obvious that some people just hate him and the reasons behind that are probably more subtle than "he's a flog" or "I hate blacks."

I disagree. The AFL knows that it would be a huge debacle if they tried to ban the boo. So instead they come out and guilt people into stopping. I have seen no effort to get to the bottom of the real issue, more or less they just want to sweep it under the rug and make it go away.

I don't know how you assumed that I have the impression that everyone agrees with me...it's pretty clear from this thread alone that there are many differing opinions. I am basing my argument on people I know and have spoken to as well as backlash on social media. You are also confusing my argument for free speech with my own personal actions, I would never boo and I also don't think much of it. Doesn't mean people should be shamed into stopping.

Yes, it is selfish, but unfortunately that's life. You can't just throw a hissy fit everytime somebody disagrees with you, disappoints you or does something you dislike. You either fight fire with fire and accept what you get in return, or you be the bigger man and move on. Just on that point, I don't think Goodes has ever come out and 'asked' people to stop. He has voiced his displeasure but never actually asked people to stop from what I can remember.

I don't understand what you are trying to get across in your last paragraph. People don't just hate people for no reason, that's not human nature. Could it be that people have a different opinion to you and those things you have mentioned actually upset or annoyed them?

Last edited:
That you can't see how ludicrous it is to use this as an analogy to people booing at the footy would be hilarious if it wasn't slightly frightening.

Thank you for providing immediate supporting evidence for my claims regarding logical errors. My example of the confederate flag is known as an "analogy". An analogy creates a link between two concepts or scenarios with similarities of some kind. An analogy doesn't typically infer both scenarios are of equal severity or importance. If I wanted to suggest that the booing of Goodes was in any way as important or historically significant as the confederate flag issue, I would have said "The booing of Goodes is equally bad/worse than the confederate flag issue".

As you are no doubt busy preparing your presentation on string theory to the National Association of Quantum Physics, I have taken the liberty of quickly cutting and pasting the first sentence from the Wikipedia entry for "analogy" to save you some time -

Analogy (from Greek ἀναλογία, analogia, "proportion"[1][2]) is a cognitive process of transferring information or meaning from a particular subject (the analogue or source) to another (the target), or a linguistic expression corresponding to such a process.

CHRIS LEWIS DESERVES AN

APOLOGY YOU CAMPAINGNERS!!

Now its an issue with me.
One player got Aussie of the year, other copped, "I put my finger in his mouth and he bit it".

FU!!

Interesting level of vitriol directed against WC fans by the Melbourne Media Mafia.

I wonder which one Mike Shehan is?

Well he has just chosen this moment to come out and say that our 2006 premiership win is tainted.

Inciting that there is no proof that the recreational drugs the WCE players took didn't have a positive effect on their performance throughout the year.

Thanks Mike, next time i line up for local footy, i'll hit the white snow first just so i really get the most out of myself.

Well he has just chosen this moment to come out and say that our 2006 premiership win is tainted.

Inciting that there is no proof that the recreational drugs the WCE players took didn't have a positive effect on their performance throughout the year.

Thanks Mike, next time i line up for local footy, i'll hit the white snow first just so i really get the most out of myself.
Has been pushing this for years, you are seriously out of touch.

The people who persist in the booing of aboriginal players, gingers players and the players with brown eyes ect shall be sent to camps for 're education'.

The only time booing shall be acceptable is for blue eyed blonde haired players. We shall call this Affirmative Action

edit: blue eyed blonde haired male players

Jackovich tore him to shreds on 6pr tonight. Loved every second of it.

http://www.6pr.com.au/news/jakovich-returns-fire-at-sheahan-20150728-gimiz3.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard on 360 said that the players, black or white, view it as racist and a form of extreme bullying.

A bit more: Adam sees it a racist, other aboriginal players do as well so all players have taken that view. Also said that there might be some action taken if it continues.
Who are the sheep now, it's sickening watching All Afl players fall inline like puppets. Wonder what players they will drag out tomorrow. I feel like Sam Newmans the voice of reason, the only negative I see, is how the other aboriginal players feel, hopefully they see that Goodes has brought this on himself.

Boo hoo

It makes me chuckle that Mike still after 9 years has a sore anus over WC winning the 2006 flag. Mike should not be focusing on WC's supposedly tainted flag, but on his own taint by purchasing a soothing salve for such hurt.

Lenny316 said:
Who are the sheep now, it's sickening watching All Afl players fall inline like puppets. Wonder what players they will drag out tomorrow. I feel like Sam Newmans the voice of reason, the only negative I see, is how the other aboriginal players feel, hopefully they see that Goodes has brought this on himself.
Agree-- why cant they all be racists rednecks like you? Its just unaustralian.

I think we have reached the point where we need to substitute Booing with another expression of disapproval.

I'm suggesting Tongue poking.

It has similarities with booing in that it also comes out of your mouth but is less noisy and less likely to affect players on the field.

Fans also have the opportunity to be more creative in poking out their tongues than engaging in simple booing..

It should come naturally to most people having practised it with parents and siblings over many years.

and the great thing about it is, it's just as juvenile.

Trials will start in the WAFL this weekend and be extended to the AFL within the next month should it be successful.

I think we have reached the point where we need to substitute Booing with another expression of disapproval.

I'm suggesting Tongue poking.

It has similarities with booing in that it also comes out of your mouth but is less noisy and less likely to affect players on the field.

Fans also have the opportunity to be more creative in poking out their tongues than engaging in simple booing..

It should come naturally to most people having practised it with parents and siblings over many years.

and the great thing about it is, it's just as juvenile.

Trials will start in the WAFL this weekend and be extended to the AFL within the next month should it be successful.

I won't be surprised if we see a couple of signs in the crowd related to this debacle. I think quite a few people want to voice their opinion, but feel as if they are being labelled as racists if they don't stop booing.

The booing of Adam Goodes is our confederate flag...

I think you'll find there is a significant logical error in conflating a debate about a flag that was used by a group fighting a war, in part to preserve their "right" to enslave black people, that was brought to a head by a man committing racially motivated mass murder with people booing at the footy. You are back pedalling now because it was a ridiculous line to take. Perhaps Godwin's Law can have a new bedfellow with Schrodinger's Law?

I have no idea why people who boo players at the footy take umbrage to being accused of holding the same values as above murderer by smug talking heads :rolleyes:

I think Hanlon's razor is a far better way of looking at what has gone on but it's much less juicy than hysterical condemnation. Maybe one day our budding social engineers will work out that forcing a viewpoint down people's throats in the most condescending way possible whilst insulting the s**t out of them is unlikely to garner the desired result.

I love that you went straight for the man when called out too #sobrave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back