Breakout / dropoff players 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Every year there are players who announce themselves and some who disappear into the wilderness

This year it was garland and fitzy and maybe gawn to a lesser extent

Obviously not too many players were worse than last year .

So lads put them on the line and tell me who will be the breakout players and dropoffs under our new overlord

I'm tipping nev Jetta if he survives to come good under Roos with his defensive skills, also tipping trenners and tapscott who are all good defensively

Agree with CJ. A fully fit Dawes should really help our structure out, especially if Clark can come back fit or Fitzy keeps improving or Hogan steps in comfortably.
Also expect Watts to really breakout next year if he stays. Actually more hope than expect, but I really want him to do well.
I think Toumpas will have a much better year than this one. Not necessarily 'breakout' but will become more used to the pace of the game and have a few more big games.

Would hope Trengove, Tapscott and Blease step up. Need them to.

I think Howe will kick on - he plateaued a bit this year after starting well and I think a new coach / approach will do wonders.

Think Fitz will struggle unless we have more injuries in the tall stocks. Strikes me as someone who needs a run of games and the confidence of a regular spot in the side, and Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Watts will be competing for the same position.

Also reckon Jamar will battle. Can hold his spot as number one ruck, but hopefully Gawn makes it his own and we can't have Jamar in the side as a 2nd ruck / forward.

If you go through our list and look out likelihood of progressing from this years form things look relatively good, but I said the same thing 5 years ago, those Underlined likely to improve, those not are either 50/50 or worse:
Nathan Jones
Jack Watts
Jimmy Toumpas
Chris Dawes
Jack Viney
James Frawley
Jack Trengove
Shannon Brynes
Mitch Clark
Colin Sylvia
Jorie Mckenzie
Lynden Dunn
Sam Blease
James Strauss
Cam Pedo
Col Garland
Dan Nicholson
Tom Gillies
Max Gawn
Jeremy Howe
Mark Jamar
Rory Taggert
Ro Bail
Matt Jones
Dean Terlich
Jack Fitzpatrick

Where is Neville PureFooty but regardless I agree with OP if Nev wasnt delisted already clearly in future plans which makes me happy, if he survives the year he can be my fav player :)

If we are able to add depth and experience to our midfield in the trading period (Cross, Martin, Adams for example) then i think both Trengove and Sylvia will both benefit the most.

I also think Spencer and Fitz will be given more opportunities next year, and if they repeat their rate of improvement from this year, they will cement themselves as senior level players.

With Roos comments about flankers now needing to be able to run through the midfield as well, I have concerns around Tapscott, Strauss and possibly Blease - who each have now played enough seasons to expect consistent contributions.

If we get our 2 or 3 senior midfielders, I expect these guys to find it difficult to get senior games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Roos comments about flankers now needing to be able to run through the midfield as well, I have concerns around Tapscott, Strauss and possibly Blease - who each have now played enough seasons to expect consistent contributions.

If we get our 2 or 3 senior midfielders, I expect these guys to find it difficult to get senior games.
That's fine though, it allows them to put some good lengthy spells together in the VFL, takes pressure off them, and at the same time should make them that bit hungrier too. As long as they don't get ahead of themselves and crack the sads over it.

As much as I'm beginning to lose patience with these guys, they've all had legitimate injury layoffs and interrupted preseasons.

Every player bar Jones and Garland, needs to drastically improve their output next year.

I expect these players to have better seasons in 2014 than 2013:

Frawley, Byrnes, Dunn, Blease, Strauss, McDonald, Barry, Kent, Tapscott, Spencer, Bail, M. Jones, Terlich.

(all have contracts due for renewal).

That's fine though, it allows them to put some good lengthy spells together in the VFL, takes pressure off them, and at the same time should make them that bit hungrier too. As long as they don't get ahead of themselves and crack the sads over it.

As much as I'm beginning to lose patience with these guys, they've all had legitimate injury layoffs and interrupted preseasons.

If those 3 spend the year at Casey, I can't see them at the club from 2015.

I'm hoping Trengove has the break out year we have all been waiting for. I know he has come off limited pre seasons the last two years but the facts are he has pretty much averaged the same type of numbers for all four seasons of AFL footy.

Career Season Totals
Year G. K. H. D. M. G. B. T. HO FF FA. Brownlow
'13 20 190 167 357 86 9 5 94 8 14 20
'12 22 199 190 389 88 8 8 99 17 24 21
'11 19 204 183 387 92 13 11 100 12 18 23 1
'10 18 156 187 343 63 8 11 75 2 17 13
Career 79 749 727 1476 329 38 35 368 39 73 77 1

Career Season Averages
Year G. K. H. D. M. G. B. T. HO FF FA. Brownlow
'13 20 9.5 8.4 17.8 4.3 0.4 0.2 4.7 0.4 0.7 1.0
'12 22 9.0 8.6 17.7 4.0 0.4 0.4 4.5 0.8 1.1 1.0
'11 19 10.7 9.6 20.4 4.8 0.7 0.6 5.3 0.6 1.0 1.2 0.05
'10 18 8.7 10.4 19.1 3.5 0.4 0.6 4.2 0.1 0.9 0.7
Career 79 9.5 9.2 18.7 4.2 0.5 0.4 4.7 0.5 0.9 1.0 0.02

I'm hoping these aren't going to be the average numbers for his career & I still have confidence that he will bloom like a Scott Selwood did two year ago. (S.Selwood went from averaging 18 touches in his 4th season to averaging the best part of 25 touches per game in his 5th & 6th seasons)

Sorry about how the stats read but it didn't look like that when I typed them in

The worrying thing is he hasn't improved at all as a footballer since season 1 ( maybe his tackling ) basically id take trengove circa 10-11 over 12-13

Didn't Trengove have OP a couple of seasons ago?

If so, Jack Steven was saying that the OP hampered his acceleration for almost 2 years before he got some back this season (and ended up winning StK B&F)...perhaps it's the recovery from OP that is holding him back (as well as captaincy).

Didn't Trengove have OP a couple of seasons ago?

If so, Jack Steven was saying that the OP hampered his acceleration for almost 2 years before he got some back this season (and ended up winning StK B&F)...perhaps it's the recovery from OP that is holding him back (as well as captaincy).

I kind of feel like Trengove still has it now sadly, but that's encouraging words from Steven, he was brilliant this year.

Who do I hope has a breakout season for theirs, and the clubs sake? Tapscott, Strauss and Blease.

You have to feel that it is now or never for these three. None of them can afford a poor season next year or they will be moved on. However, if they all step up it would be a huge benefit to the club.

Maybe it's hope more than anything that they'll all kick on...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back