Mega Thread The Western Bulldogs - The Sack Macca saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this season, after a few losses in the VFL, one of our beloved bigfooty posters decided to share his observations regarding Maple's coaching ability. Something about him being the worst coach and entirely out of his depth. Sadly, this poster is now mercilessly the butt of many a joke and I for one have reached a point where I feel sorry for this poster to such a degree that I refuse to participate in the bullying hilarity. I believe the said poster, has no option now but to relinquish their identity entirely and re-establish their reputation under a new name.

In the same way, I fear that posters known to us as mattdougie, Athenian and proffessor are destined to become the victims of the worst kind of juvenile ridicule and schadenfreude. I can not see them outlasting the coach. To rephrase the immortal sentiment of Gough Whitlam pertaining to the governor general following his dismissal - well might they hope that BMacca fails, because if he does nt, nothing in the world will save the names of matdougie and the proffesor.

So because a person puts an opinion out there and that proves to be wrong you think it's ok for the "chosen few" to ridicule them??

I have more respect for anyone that actually hangs them out there right or wrong than just sits here and agreed with the party line and had no honest opinion of there own!

I may indeed be incorrect t about Macca( although strongly doubt it) but even if I am it means success for us and that actually means I win either way doesn't it :)

Earlier this season, after a few losses in the VFL, one of our beloved bigfooty posters decided to share his observations regarding Maple's coaching ability. Something about him being the worst coach and entirely out of his depth. Sadly, this poster is now mercilessly the butt of many a joke and I for one have reached a point where I feel sorry for this poster to such a degree that I refuse to participate in the bullying hilarity. I believe the said poster, has no option now but to relinquish their identity entirely and re-establish their reputation under a new name.

In the same way, I fear that posters known to us as mattdougie, Athenian and proffessor are destined to become the victims of the worst kind of juvenile ridicule and schadenfreude. I can not see them outlasting the coach. To rephrase the immortal sentiment of Gough Whitlam pertaining to the governor general following his dismissal - well might they hope that BMacca fails, because if he does nt, nothing in the world will save the names of matdougie and the proffesor.

So because a person puts an opinion out there and that proves to be wrong you think it's ok for the "chosen few" to ridicule them??

I have more respect for anyone that actually hangs them out there right or wrong than just sits here and agreed with the party line and had no honest opinion of there own!

I may indeed be incorrect t about Macca( although strongly doubt it) but even if I am it means success for us and that actually means I win either way doesn't it :)

Not worth answering, you just don't get it.
Okay and whats the excuse for Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon not being anywhere near as good as us? They have had a while in the system now to set things up, they play the same amount of AFL listed players and their AFL teams are much higher up the ladder and surely have better depth than a bottom 4 team, considering they are meant to be some of the best teams in the league at developing talent, not to mention they have a hell of a lot more cash to throw around.

Whats their excuse? and just why is our VFL list that good? Remember this team is made up mostly of guys who cant get a game in a bottom 4 AFL team.

Don't apologise to these blokes, I for one don't think you are wrong, and your opinion is worth as much as their's.
In my opinion, it's worth more.
A little bit of advice Mattdougie, NEVER COMPLAIN, NEVER EXPLAIN.
Love your posts mate, don't let them get at you, keep them coming, and enjoy BF.

Out
Anyone bemoaning the coaching in that game needs to seriously consider putting their time into another sport.
out of curiosity , what did he do today that was so great .. Which moves ?

Out
Anyone bemoaning the coaching in that game needs to seriously consider putting their time into another sport.
out of curiosity , what did he do yesterday that was so great .. Which moves ?

Out
out of curiosity , what did he do yesterday that was so great .. Which moves ?
He didn't need to make drastic moves. We were on top for the majority of the game and our planning for the game was well done.
But here are a couple off the top of my head for you. I'd be more than happy to revisit it once I re-watch the game.
- When Essendon were on top at the start, we were trying to go the "slowly, slowly" approach to try and get through their very good defence. This wasn't working, as our foot skills aren't good enough. After about 10 mins, the word was clearly sent out to get the ball moving a bit more, and a bit faster.
- Throwing Bontempelli down back late in a quarter (I forget which one, might have been the 2nd). Bonts stopped a certain goal.
- Stringer and Crameri into the midfield for short bursts. Both did good work in there, which has gone a bit under appreciated. Crameri especially did some fantastic blocking.

Now for some balance, here are the mistakes:
- Subbing Picken off.
- Having Austin as lose man in defence for certain parts of the game.

Moves that didn't work:
- Literally anything we did to try and stop Carlisle. Tried 3 players on him, players dropping in front of him. This is on the players, not the coach.

Conversely, if you question my statement, what do you think he did wrong yesterday?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't need to make drastic moves. We were on top for the majority of the game and our planning for the game was well done.
But here are a couple off the top of my head for you. I'd be more than happy to revisit it once I re-watch the game.
- When Essendon were on top at the start, we were trying to go the "slowly, slowly" approach to try and get through their very good defence. This wasn't working, as our foot skills aren't good enough. After about 10 mins, the word was clearly sent out to get the ball moving a bit more, and a bit faster.
- Throwing Bontempelli down back late in a quarter (I forget which one, might have been the 2nd). Bonts stopped a certain goal.
- Stringer and Crameri into the midfield for short bursts. Both did good work in there, which has gone a bit under appreciated. Crameri especially did some fantastic blocking.

- Subbing Picken off.

Moves that didn't work:
- Literally anything we did to try and stop Carlisle. Tried 3 players on him, players dropping in front of him. This is on the players, not the coach.

Conversely, if you question my statement, what do you think he did wrong yesterday?
Bont was actually thrown down back whenever we seemed to lose ground in the midfield I believe - saw him back there a number of times.

- Subbing Picken off.
I'd just like to address these two points. The first is the most blatantly obvious example of Macca being a good coach. He obviously came in with the plan that if we were on fire early, we would try to slow down the game and try to pinpoint our way through, which was obvious by our unwillingness to take any risks (and my absolute boredom with the game for the first 10 minutes :p) But then we started taking more risks. Moving the ball a bit quicker. Playing on. Basically a "get the ball forward at all costs" mentality but without the stupid bombing into the 50.

As for subbing Picken off, I hate this argument. If Wallis hadn't been injured, we might have won the game, and it wouldn't have been addressed at all. Unfortunately, Wallis got injured, but that definitely wasn't in the coach's plans. It was honestly just bad luck that Wallis happened to get injured after the sub was made. Couple that with the fact that Cooney provided less than nothing when he came on, and Macca is being blamed for something he shouldn't be blamed for.

If anything the mistake was selecting Cooney in the first place.

As for subbing Picken off, I hate this argument. If Wallis hadn't been injured, we might have won the game, and it wouldn't have been addressed at all. Unfortunately, Wallis got injured, but that definitely wasn't in the coach's plans. It was honestly just bad luck that Wallis happened to get injured after the sub was made. Couple that with the fact that Cooney provided less than nothing when he came on, and Macca is being blamed for something he shouldn't be blamed for.

If anything the mistake was selecting Cooney in the first place.
I don't mean it in a "I wanted Picken to move to Heppell after Wallis got injured". He probably would have anyway, but I thought he was playing well deep in defence, and that's where he would have been most valuable late in the game. He's reliable and has a cool head (most of the time...) when he's back there.

Agree on Cooney.

- Subbing Picken off.

Moves that didn't work:

I honestly agree with everything you said

What did he do wrong yesterday exactly?
He made a few little mistakes but other than that he coached well , I am not a Macca basher I know I right some negative posts on here but never against the coach ( not yet anyway ) :)

Don't apologise to these blokes, I for one don't think you are wrong, and your opinion is worth as much as their's.
In my opinion, it's worth more.
A little bit of advice Mattdougie, NEVER COMPLAIN, NEVER EXPLAIN.
Love your posts mate, don't let them get at you, keep them coming, and enjoy BF.

My god you blokes have started a sect !

Bont was actually thrown down back whenever we seemed to lose ground in the midfield I believe - saw him back there a number of times.
I noticed him quite a bit after he took a strong contested mark down back, in the backline
tried to use his body to fill up the empty space, but too easily brushed aside right now; will get stronger and win at more contests

Stringer was getting it done up forward, fairly certain Picken to be subbed off was the plan
he got subbed off after Wallis went off injured right?

I think a lot of Essendons win was experience and not so much class/talent
sure we weren't very composed at times, but neither were Essendon and got to chalk some of that up to our pressure across the ground :eek:

On the contrary, I think its awful and juvenile as I said
But there is no stopping it, unless the moderators get involved and we have a rule against ribbing the dill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back