Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

For the naysayers here is my perspective on Lion-other sport joint ventures. When applying for public (or corporate) sponsorship there are 2 types of people to consider: sport fans and others. The others far outnumber sport fans. Governments and companies love funding other cultural ventures like a film festival, comedy event, theatre act etc because its relatively cheap, often one off expense, provides a quick and measurable boost in local tourism and can be easily marketted and promoted. Things like upgrading a sporting complex is a long, costly process with intangible benefits that cant be easily measured and promoted to voters. So when Lions apply for funding its not just lions v rugby; its lions v every film, music, theatre act you can think of in all of QLD. As Lions fans we should be happy to team up with any sport to secure any sort of funding away from the rest of the entertainment business.

Secondly, the Lions main competition is the 17 other clubs, not the Broncos or Roar or the baseball team (whatever they are). Sports arent directly substitutable goods. If both the Lions, Roar and Broncos put out good sporting products; people will consume all 3. Just look at the USA. You've got 4 major multi billion dollar leagues, an emerging soccer league, various college leagues all in the same markets. Yet they are all able to run events almost every day all throughout the year because all those leagues produce high quality sporting products. The NYJets dont care what the Rangers, Nicks, Nets, Mets, Yankees, college teams etc are doing. They know that so long as they remain competitive within the NFL (particularly against the Giants) there will be fan and financial support for their team. As a Lions fan, it doesnt matter what happens with the Broncos, Roar, Heat etc. We need to be competitive against the Suns and the 16 other AFL teams. If we can do that then people will consume our product along with their other sporting passions (personally Im a Broncs, Heat, Lions fan and happy to consume sporting products from all 3 leagues).

Thirdly, the AFL is a national game but its not a QLD sport. Rugby is and will remain (for the near future) the premier sport in QLD. Rugby has been long established in rural communities and has been providing pathways/jobs for rural Australians for decades. The Lions cant just rely on AFL being the premier sport in Australia to secure QLD funding as their impact in QLD is marginal compared to rugby. Crossbenchers in rural seats like the KAP will always push a rural agenda as barter for passing legislation. This will mean rugby based proposals will always win over other sports as its feather in the cap of whichever northern QLD MP gets a deal done, it will provide easy political points and give back to rural Australians whom often are ignored in policy debates. If QLD AFL is to succeed we need to team up with other sports/events. We need to show that we are providing benefits outside of the inner city Brisbane fans. Just look at the Suns. They've managed to secure a fantastic facility as part of the commonwealth games. We need to be savvy like that and jointly apply with whatever institution will get our funding through. Personally I think with the womens league and a potential teamup with netball/womens basketball could prove to be the winning combination to secure funding given how supporting womens sport is in vogue right now.

As QLD AFL fans we have to be happy to accept whatever funding we can get in whatever way possible. In any sort of trade/contract, the winners are the participants and the losers are those left off the table. All those sponsorship/funding deals that the Pies/Eagles/Crows pull is a loss for us. We need to catch up with our southern competitors in whatever way possible even if that means teaming up with lawn bowls QLD.

The AFL would never enter into an agreement with a rival code, one that is so antagonistic to an Australian home grown sport. Sad to see naïve comments from Brisbane locals.
Pretty sure Melbourne have deals with the storm and vixens and maybe even the victory. I actually think several Melbourne clubs have worked with the storm over the years

For the naysayers here is my perspective on Lion-other sport joint ventures. When applying for public (or corporate) sponsorship there are 2 types of people to consider: sport fans and others. The others far outnumber sport fans. Governments and companies love funding other cultural ventures like a film festival, comedy event, theatre act etc because its relatively cheap, often one off expense, provides a quick and measurable boost in local tourism and can be easily marketted and promoted. Things like upgrading a sporting complex is a long, costly process with intangible benefits that cant be easily measured and promoted to voters. So when Lions apply for funding its not just lions v rugby; its lions v every film, music, theatre act you can think of in all of QLD. As Lions fans we should be happy to team up with any sport to secure any sort of funding away from the rest of the entertainment business.

Secondly, the Lions main competition is the 17 other clubs, not the Broncos or Roar or the baseball team (whatever they are). Sports arent directly substitutable goods. If both the Lions, Roar and Broncos put out good sporting products; people will consume all 3. Just look at the USA. You've got 4 major multi billion dollar leagues, an emerging soccer league, various college leagues all in the same markets. Yet they are all able to run events almost every day all throughout the year because all those leagues produce high quality sporting products. The NYJets dont care what the Rangers, Nicks, Nets, Mets, Yankees, college teams etc are doing. They know that so long as they remain competitive within the NFL (particularly against the Giants) there will be fan and financial support for their team. As a Lions fan, it doesnt matter what happens with the Broncos, Roar, Heat etc. We need to be competitive against the Suns and the 16 other AFL teams. If we can do that then people will consume our product along with their other sporting passions (personally Im a Broncs, Heat, Lions fan and happy to consume sporting products from all 3 leagues).

Thirdly, the AFL is a national game but its not a QLD sport. Rugby is and will remain (for the near future) the premier sport in QLD. Rugby has been long established in rural communities and has been providing pathways/jobs for rural Australians for decades. The Lions cant just rely on AFL being the premier sport in Australia to secure QLD funding as their impact in QLD is marginal compared to rugby. Crossbenchers in rural seats like the KAP will always push a rural agenda as barter for passing legislation. This will mean rugby based proposals will always win over other sports as its feather in the cap of whichever northern QLD MP gets a deal done, it will provide easy political points and give back to rural Australians whom often are ignored in policy debates. If QLD AFL is to succeed we need to team up with other sports/events. We need to show that we are providing benefits outside of the inner city Brisbane fans. Just look at the Suns. They've managed to secure a fantastic facility as part of the commonwealth games. We need to be savvy like that and jointly apply with whatever institution will get our funding through. Personally I think with the womens league and a potential teamup with netball/womens basketball could prove to be the winning combination to secure funding given how supporting womens sport is in vogue right now.

As QLD AFL fans we have to be happy to accept whatever funding we can get in whatever way possible. In any sort of trade/contract, the winners are the participants and the losers are those left off the table. All those sponsorship/funding deals that the Pies/Eagles/Crows pull is a loss for us. We need to catch up with our southern competitors in whatever way possible even if that means teaming up with lawn bowls QLD.
Deserves more than a like. Quality first/second post. Welcome aboard

Pretty sure Melbourne have deals with the storm and vixens and maybe even the victory. I actually think several Melbourne clubs have worked with the storm over the years
Port Adelaide and Penrith Panthers have also collaborated over the last couple of years on management and off-field best practices. Bloody SAians and NSWians.

Well, a joint training venture isn't happening.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/f...s/news-story/0ee6835e3ea0708e049b4a90027b0c6e

Swann said a mooted move to the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre at Nathan, while still a possibility, was now “unlikely”.

He said other options for the Lions were the Coorparoo venue where they sometimes train and a site near Brisbane Airport.

“It’s all about the money. We’re still struggling for money at the moment,” Swann said.

“We’ve had some options but no matter where we go, there’s always the same issue — we need some government or council funding to get us over the hump.

“We don’t want to incur further debt to move, and unless we’ve got some sort of assistance that’s what’s going to happen, and we don’t want to do that.”

Oh, and something something competing codes...

In a collaboration between the Roar and Lions announced today, up to 5000 members from each club will be able to attend a match from the other code for free.

Lions members can attend the Roar-Melbourne Victory match at Suncorp Stadium on March 12, while Roar members have been invited to the Lions-Collingwood clash at the Gabba on May 14.

Seems like we are just stuck in a permanent holding pattern on facilities waiting for either the AFL or the state or federal government to be the circuit breaker and give us landing clearance.

I think it will have to be the AFL that makes a big move. The political and economic climate up here just seems to be barren ground for any meaningful government assistance. Time to get real Gil.

Time to get real Gil.

get real Gil.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Is Coorparoo even viable? Does it have enough space to implement what we might want? I haven't been there for 10+ years but from memory it has a large chunk of park lands adjacent to the footy fields? Probably council owned.
Quirk commits 2 mil for BMX tracks but nothing for the Lions. Pfft. He's trying everything to get re-elected, so maybe he'll pull a rabbit out of his hat before the election.

Quirk commits 2 mil for BMX tracks but nothing for the Lions. Pfft. He's trying everything to get re-elected, so maybe he'll pull a rabbit out of his hat before the election.
I've been on the Airport bandwagon for years as I believe it has everything that we need. Loads of space of empty land, fast travel times from CBD with the tunnels and highways that lead directly to the airport, and I remember reading not long ago that other codes are looking to move into that region so maybe we can share facilities which will lower the start up cost. I think posters here told me that it was nonviable because it costs too much but honestly I don't think it will cost a huge amount if it's a multi code facility.

Last edited:
I've been on the Airport bandwagon for years as I believe it has everything that we need. Loads of space of empty land, fast travel times from CBD with the tunnels and highways that lead directly to the airport, and I remember reading not long ago that other codes are looking to move into that region so maybe we can share facilities which will lower the start up cost. I think posters here told me that it was nonviable because it costs too much but honestly I don't think it will cost a huge amount if it's a multi code facility.
Was at the driving range there on Saturday near DFO and it is ridiculous the amount of land that is out there and as said fairly close to the city. I live near where most payers live and it took me 20mins. I also believe that if it takes a multi code facility to get up and running then it has to be done. We are a long way back in the pecking order of sporting codes so it is naive to think that we're going to get direct individual assistance. It's getting beyond a joke now and I understand the club are trying their best but the 'AFL' does have to assist in some form or manner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am with you on this, the sky is the limit, they could have a training run prior to boarding a plane, serviced by motorway in all directions.

It just makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love the whole idea of the joint venture for members.......it's great

...but I would love to have seen it being for any game respective members choose to go to, not just certain games.......however,

..it's a start:thumbsu:

Seems like we are just stuck in a permanent holding pattern on facilities waiting for either the AFL or the state or federal government to be the circuit breaker and give us landing clearance.

I think it will have to be the AFL that makes a big move. The political and economic climate up here just seems to be barren ground for any meaningful government assistance. Time to get real Gil.
Good luck with getting the AFL to go one out:thumbsu:

With the start of AFL womens league, and if they are going to be playing stand-alone games (i.e. not curtain raiser games), does Brisbane have a suitable playing venue that is suitable for a few thousand spectators?

We may have improved leverage on Queensland governments to contribute towards a multi-use facility that includes training and playing facilities for AFL women?

With the start of AFL womens league, and if they are going to be playing stand-alone games (i.e. not curtain raiser games), does Brisbane have a suitable playing venue that is suitable for a few thousand spectators?

We may have improved leverage on Queensland governments to contribute towards a multi-use facility that includes training and playing facilities for AFL women?

You'd think that the AFLQ will have them playing at Yeronga, but you never know I guess.

Port Adelaide and Penrith Panthers have also collaborated over the last couple of years on management and off-field best practices. Bloody SAians and NSWians.
recently the Parramatta Eels paid a visit to the Giants and shared information and skills session over the years i think the Demons, Storm and Victory have done some things together as they train at the same venue

recently the Parramatta Eels paid a visit to the Giants and shared information and skills session over the years i think the Demons, Storm and Victory have done some things together as they train at the same venue

Could the day arrive where there are 'super clubs' which have a rugby/AFL/football team operating under the same franchise? (Chuck netball in, too)

I've come to actively avoid this thread. I really just want to open it one day and see something positive but I just can't see where that news is coming from and every time I do look I end up more disappointed. TBD has it right: Step up, Gil. There's simply no other way we're going to be able to raise the money. It's gone on long enough.

Could the day arrive where there are 'super clubs' which have a rugby/AFL/football team operating under the same franchise? (Chuck netball in, too)
the AFL owns the licence to pretty much all the teams, where as the NRL goes the private ownership stricture, eg the massive poke filled leagues clubs that relies on gaming revenue to keep the clubs afloat. the AFL clubs have tried to own a few soccer teams carlton and collingwood, but dont think it ended well

the AFL owns the licence to pretty much all the teams, where as the NRL goes the private ownership stricture, eg the massive poke filled leagues clubs that relies on gaming revenue to keep the clubs afloat. the AFL clubs have tried to own a few soccer teams carlton and collingwood, but dont think it ended well

MONEY VS "TRADITION"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back