Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

lol x 2. Expect this from a football newbie. Absolutely no sense of history or loyalty.
whilst I get what you are saying, history and loyalty don't get you upgraded facilities that we are proud to show to new players and that ensure development of our list.

Whilst I am all for history and loyalty, I am also for club development and progress, sometimes they come in to conflict

FWIW, I don't think this will be anything to do with training stuff as I'm pretty sure the Roar got given something at Griffith or something like it recently.

Also didn't we buy 'Brisbane Lions' from a soccer club? I think I've seen it near a Masters somewhere.

whilst I get what you are saying, history and loyalty don't get you upgraded facilities that we are proud to show to new players and that ensure development of our list.

Whilst I am all for history and loyalty, I am also for club development and progress, sometimes they come in to conflict

You may need to explain it to the rest of us, WA Lion.

FWIW, I don't think this will be anything to do with training stuff as I'm pretty sure the Roar got given something at Griffith or something like it recently.

Also didn't we buy 'Brisbane Lions' from a soccer club? I think I've seen it near a Masters somewhere.

The same one, basically. The same people who were involved with the Brisbane Lions founded the Queensland Roar, who became the Brisbane Roar.

Maybe the news is that they're buying the name back.

it does seem something more membership related from what I can gather

1. Australian Rules - definitely not stolen from Ireland and indigenous; and
  2. Soccer/Football - encroaching on Australian Rules' history.
I'm learning, I'm learning.
The AFL would never enter into an agreement with a rival code, one that is so antagonistic to an Australian home grown sport. Sad to see naïve comments from Brisbane locals.

Sad to see naïve comments from Brisbane locals.

514laI6nP1L.jpg

The AFL would never enter into an agreement with a rival code, one that is so antagonistic to an Australian home grown sport. Sad to see naïve comments from Brisbane locals.

Dude, you need to seriously change your tone on this board!

If you want to get some real conversation going leave out parts of your posts like bolded above.

Dont make controversial comments and then insult everybody for disagreeing with you.

Not being a smart ass here mate, just have a think how your posts are coming across.

You may need to explain it to the rest of us, WA Lion.

The same one, basically. The same people who were involved with the Brisbane Lions founded the Queensland Roar, who became the Brisbane Roar.

Maybe the news is that they're buying the name back.
Without researching it, I believe the Brisbane Lions became the Qld Lions (then became the Roar).

But yes James North The Brisbane Lions was a soccer team at Richlands.
lions richlands.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we look at football discussion in general, related to non-Victorian clubs, I'd have to say the most "naive" comments do not come out of Brisbane. As a supporter, I'm a little saddened that you still don't see the situation/landscape that we operate in. Thinking out of the box is a day to day requirement for our commercial success.
Not sure how to break this to you, but we aren't coming back to Fitzroy.

This announcement is actually pretty decent and will result in a good crowd boost for 1 game and hopefully result in lots more members/first timers coming back to future games.

Queensland is unique to sporting landscape and probably the hardest market for success. The broncos are the number one team in the state and until the Lions can compete with their numbers then incentives/partnerships with clubs like the Roar are a positive step in the right direction.

I don't think I'm naïve when I say that the Broncos' following absolutely dwarfs the Lions' following up here. Even if we pooled with the Reds, the Roar, the Bandits and the Heat we'd probably still have about half the following they do.

If it comes to the club's financial survival, I think any and all cross-code promotions should be looked at favourably.

It's odd to see a Fitzroy person chastise a move by the club to support its long term survival in an extremely competitive market.

I believe Melbourne Demons share facilities with Melbourne Storm. If I'm right, that means the AFL DO enter into agreements with other codes.

I see no problem at all with sharing facilities with another code if it is also to our benefit. Also could break down the barrier between the codes.

Is a mystery to me why there are barriers anyway, to my mind if you like sport, you should be able to accept other types of football. I don't see it as a one or the other situation..

I believe Melbourne Demons share facilities with Melbourne Storm. If I'm right, that means the AFL DO enter into agreements with other codes.

I see no problem at all with sharing facilities with another code if it is also to our benefit. Also could break down the barrier between the codes.

Is a mystery to me why there are barriers anyway, to my mind if you like sport, you should be able to accept other types of football. I don't see it as a one or the other situation..

Bloody ignorant Queenslander.

You football newbies got the hang of our game yet?

I'll admit to my mistakes. I should've started being obsessed with the game at age 3, not 4.

There are the rugby, NRL and Union fans. Then there is everyone else. Everyone else usually follows 1 of the lesser codes, AFL, Soccer, Basketball, baseball even cricket. But these people are more likely to also attend games of other lesser codes. I feel that the NRL and Union people typically dont.

It is essentially rugby v the rest. No harm in teaming up with another code, be it a membership drive getting fans from.both codes to each others games, or something big like sharing facilities. Lesser codes need to band together to reduce operating costs to compete with the big boys in a rugby dominated state.

Southern folk fail to realise that local state comp rugby teams are just as likely to get government funding that a major team in a lesser code. Little guys gotta stick together.

Given A League is predominantly played in Summer, and AFL is predominantly played in Winter, and both codes are not the dominant Football code in the QLD territory, I see no issues in sharing a membership/game attendance initiative, nor extending it to a shared training facility (even though that doesn't look like it will happen).

In this case, I don't believe its akin to letting the youngsters make a choice as to which one to play. Not everyone is going to play a sport competitively after their teenage years, so encouraging attendance to both, when they are played predominantly during different seasons of the year, in a sports loving country, is a no-brainer for me.

Put it this way. I think Port Adelaide had an agreement with the Adelaide's ANZ Netball team for a number of years. I don't think it stuffed up the crowds for either. Nor did young blokes start playing Netball in their droves.

Any initiative like this isn't naive in the Queensland market. It's plain smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back