Buddy a Swan (Footy talk only, read OP before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Mod Announcement: We understand this is going to be a very hot topic for discussion over the coming days/weeks. We would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the forum rules and to keep things civil.

Warning to Opposition posters: This is a Sydney board, so if you must post here, please be respectful. We encourage healthy debate but baiting/trolling and abusive posts will not be tolerated.

Reminder to Sydney board regulars: Not all opposition posters are trolls. Remember to play the ball not the person.

The rumour has been doing the rounds for the last couple of months, so when the new thread popped on the main board it wasn't anything new.

Consider if you will the following departures:
White ($350~$400k)
Mumford ($800~$900k)
Mattner ($350k)
Morton ($300k)
Bolton ($350k)

It's feasible to consider that we could afford him. I don't really want him and I'd really like us to spend that money on getting Heath Shaw and a back up KPP defender for when Richards finally retires. As good as Johnson & Rampe have been, they're not CHB's or FB's.

If we do go after him I reckon we'll front-end the contract like we did for Tippet and Goodes years ago. Goodes probably has 2 years at most left in him, so the money is there. Same for LRT & Shaw.

Thoughts?

Goodes said explicitly on Friday when asked by Mark Robbinson that Franklin will not be at the Swans next year. I believe Goodes as he is not the sort to lie in interviews.

The only question mark on that is perhaps Goodes has not been told about it which is possible. Still I do not think we are going to get Franklin and I am actually very pleased about that as I do not want him.

Agree

While he was on a fair bit for a first senior contract he was on nothing like those figures chunky and I think you've sold Jude 50-100K short too.
Unless his contract was front loaded, because it averaged out to close to 800k/year. Wasn't it 2.5 over 3? The first year could have been about 900k or 1m.

Agree

While he was on a fair bit for a first senior contract he was on nothing like those figures chunky and I think you've sold Jude 50-100K short too.

That might be right for Bolton because of veterans list. In terms of cap space, $350 is probably close to the mark, if not over.

Unless his contract was front loaded, because it averaged out to close to 800k/year. Wasn't it 2.5 over 3? The first year could have been about 900k or 1m.

it like 1.2 mill over 3 years or something like that 300-400k a year

I'd rather not get invested in this Buddy talk. But it's hard not to sometimes.

Funny how Sydney gets sucked into these discussions every year isn't it. We're the Collingwood of the "interstaters" when it comes to baseless rumours. We might have found cap space. But we haven't found GWS style buying power. My question is this: if we were to offer Buddy effectively whatever he's on at the Hawks, why on Earth would he leave his Premiership club?

Now if he's moving for $2M a season to GWS...that makes a lot more sense to me.

I for one would welcome him with open arms - just for the entertainment value of the Bigfooty meltdown that would follow.

But it would mean Mummy walks. And probably some potentials like Lamb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it like 1.2 mill over 3 years or something like that 300-400k a year

Yeah $300k estimated until this year. But you'd think he'd want another $100k going forward, or at least a longer contract than we'd likely be able to offer?

Funny how Sydney gets sucked into these discussions every year isn't it. We're the Collingwood of the "interstaters" when it comes to baseless rumours. We might have found cap space. But we haven't found GWS style buying power. My question is this: if we were to offer Buddy effectively whatever he's on at the Hawks, why on Earth would he leave his Premiership club?

Now if he's moving for $2M a season to GWS...that makes a lot more sense to me.

GWS are only going to pay him 1.2 mil + 800k from the AFL to promote the game in NWS. Surely he is eligible for that money if he goes to the swans as well !!!

Yeah $300k estimated until this year. But you'd think he'd want another $100k going forward, or at least a longer contract than we'd likely be able to offer?

we never know for sure

but I presume he feels he is worth a pay increase

GWS are only going to pay him 1.2 mil + 800k from the AFL to promote the game in NWS. Surely he is eligible for that money if he goes to the swans as well !!!

The chances of Sydney successfully arranging that $800k from the AFL would be close to zero.

Having said that, he wouldn't be the only top 5 player in the comp in recent years to have some extraordinary 3rd party deals on the side.

Now if his manager was able to sort that all indepedently...well then. ;)

This Sheahan guy is still standing by his call that Buddy will be at the Swans next year, every other reporter is saying GWS.

He did call Tippett to Sydney before anyone else did..

@TonySheahan Tippett will notify Crows on Monday, that Swans are the team he wants to join next year..3yr/2.5m

Hmmmm, he also said last week that Dustin Martin would sign with Richmond the day of their BNF.

If he has any buddy sense he will sign with GWS and play for like 5 years then retire in a pad in Vaucluse or something. Lets be honest here, he isnt going to leave Hawks to come to us as we cant match what GWS/AFL Can offer him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back