Cam Mooney on AFL360 last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a pretty good comparison with the guys you mentioned although I'd say Bartel and Kelly have always been good users of the ball. The one-paced business is a bit of a misnomer, really. North actually have a fair bit of pace through the midfield, but not really the body size yet to go with Geelong. Unfortunately (for the supporters) it's just one of those things that's going to take time.
I hope it's a cracking game but I keep thinking back to last week. Apart from having Luke Hodge out there, Hawthorn pretty much threw everything they had at the Cats and still lost. The day will come when we will beat Geelong, but I'm just not sure it'll be tomorrow. Some may think that's a negative attitude, but it also may be realistic.

Kelly the clanger king?

but i heard on SEN that they reckon geelong will beat us anywhere from 60 to 100 points. Many on SEN (commentators) believe that geebung will win by triple figures.
I hope the players don't hear what SEN think of them, it might shatter their fragile confidence.

I think you're underselling him a bit. He was a good solid footballer that provided physicality to a line up that was in need of that element.

The bloke averaged 6 marks a game over 220 games. He wasn't a mug.

Agree. Cam put his hand up to be the KF we were lacking. I honestly believe he straightened us up and gave the mids confidence when going forward. He had been playing really well in defence, and also as follower when King was injured. Mooney was IMO, our most important player in 2007 and no fluke he was AA.

As far as his prognosis for NM, I think he's spot on, and this year should see NM finals bound, hopefully not at our expense.

He was always going to be a good player. I was spewing at the time he was part of the Colby trade as he could clunk a mark and we needed a young KPF coming through the ranks... we ended up relying on Rocca and Thompson in their latter years to fill that void. His biggest issue was maturity but when he got himself together ended up with AA and flags... I doubt they would have been so dominant in 2007 as he 'straightened them up' and gave them confidence going forward.

Haven't watched the interview but he's always been good to listen to.

I have a feeling the general humility of Geelong supporters has a lot to do with the 1989-2005 disappointments when they had very good sides that were either pumped in grand finals or lost finals in agonising ways (i.e., '97 Colby-non mark vs. Adelaide, '05 Davis show vs. Sydney). There were also years of big expectations (i.e., 1990, 1993, 2006) where they didn't even make the finals... a lot of heartache before tasting the ultimate success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back