Can someone please explain Toasties to me

Remove this Banner Ad

JackHiscoxWasFast

All Australian
Nov 30, 2023
AFL Club
Sydney
In a weird and wacky thread, everyone started talking about toasties. We even have a Chief Toastie Office in Sataris. It appears it comes to light when we are light on news and play a bottom 4 team. Given we are light on news now, why is there no toastie talk ? Is the weather too hot for toasties ?

In a weird and wacky thread, everyone started talking about toasties. We even have a Chief Toastie Office in Sataris. It appears it comes to light when we are light on news and play a bottom 4 team. Given we are light on news now, why is there no toastie talk ? Is the weather too hot for toasties ?
Ahhh, it was the winter of 2022. The Sydney Swans had come to Melbourne to play the Essendon Football Club. The team had been playing well, exceeding some expectations and were coming up against a side that on paper, Sydney were going to beat. Essendon being a lowly side didn't have anything interesting to talk about. They weren't contending. They weren't even on track for finals. Last time these sides played each other, not only did Sydney win comfortably but the most interesting part was a gif of Sydney captain Luke Parker mocking an Essendon midfielder for being spooked at the contest. So, in traditional BigFooty thread fashion the topic of discussion moved to something else and more interesting in this case: toasties. A type of cooked sandwich with cheese often with other ingredients such as deli meats and tomato. Since this was more interesting than the prelude to the game, more people talked about sandwiches than the game itself. Because Sydney were going to win, right?

Wrong.

Sydney lost that game. Sydney lost that game despite being the better side in every line, in a bunch of stats but still lost due to a perceived arrogance. This arrogance was reflected by the BigFooty board's discussion of toasties instead of respecting the opposition. This loss ended up spurring the Sydney Swans to a Grand Final appearance but for the Swans board? Toasties have become a thing of legend. Too much toastie talk is a sign of disrespecting the opposition which as we discovered in the winter of 2022, isn't the best thing to do...

I have done a deep statistical dive into not only the relevance, but the impact of toastie talk on not only swans games, the greater economy as well as answering the great question of crust or no crust.

Ahhh, it was the winter of 2022. The Sydney Swans had come to Melbourne to play the Essendon Football Club. The team had been playing well, exceeding some expectations and were coming up against a side that on paper, Sydney were going to beat. Essendon being a lowly side didn't have anything interesting to talk about. They weren't contending. They weren't even on track for finals. Last time these sides played each other, not only did Sydney win comfortably but the most interesting part was a gif of Sydney captain Luke Parker mocking an Essendon midfielder for being spooked at the contest. So, in traditional BigFooty thread fashion the topic of discussion moved to something else and more interesting in this case: toasties. A type of cooked sandwich with cheese often with other ingredients such as deli meats and tomato. Since this was more interesting than the prelude to the game, more people talked about sandwiches than the game itself. Because Sydney were going to win, right?

Wrong.

Sydney lost that game. Sydney lost that game despite being the better side in every line, in a bunch of stats but still lost due to a perceived arrogance. This arrogance was reflected by the BigFooty board's discussion of toasties instead of respecting the opposition. This loss ended up spurring the Sydney Swans to a Grand Final appearance but for the Swans board? Toasties have become a thing of legend. Too much toastie talk is a sign of disrespecting the opposition which as we discovered in the winter of 2022, isn't the best thing to do...

Poppycock, The toastie represents all of Western Civilization in a handy snack sized package.

2022 saw toasties supersede South Melbourne Dimmies as the board’s no.1 culinary discussion point.

Of course, trends inevitably come and go - which saw toasties give way to potato SCALLOPS in the later stages of the 2023 season.

All of this against a backdrop of intense and ongoing speculation over Sam Reid’s choice of fare when he visits the local drive-thru.

Most of these things can usually be traced back to The King!

2022 saw toasties supersede South Melbourne Dimmies as the board’s no.1 culinary discussion point.

Of course, trends inevitably come and go - which saw toasties give way to potato SCALLOPS in the later stages of the 2023 season.

All of this against a backdrop of intense and ongoing speculation over Sam Reid’s choice of fare when he visits the local drive-thru.

Most of these things can usually be traced back to The King!
Where is that poster (234567891 or something) that did the Sam Reid drive-thru skits? He was a funny poster.

Toasties are a glorious improved way of eating a sandwich.

The best methods are to spread butter or olive oil on the top and bottom of the bread.

Then put two to three ingredients inside your bread (Eg: Ham, Cheese and Salami, you may add a little sauce but it is better to use a jaffle for this).

Then you put it in your sandwich press, or fry on a fry pan until each side is golden brown.

Then enjoy and be enlightened.

Where is that poster (234567891 or something) that did the Sam Reid drive-thru skits? He was a funny poster.
74561347 began Reid posts in 27 Feb 2021
sam reid looked after my dog for a couple of days when i was younger and we went away and when i got back my dog said he didnt pat him enough and i later found he took the coins out of my piggy bank

well i have a specific issue with sam reid.

i was a 17 and standing out the front of my local coles and trying to get someone to buy me beer for an 18th that night. i wanted 10 vic cans, they had on special for 25 bucks or something if you get 10. so this guy who looks familiar says ok, i give him 50 and he goes in, i wait around the corner. he comes back and gives me my cans and starts to walk away. im wondering where my change is so i yell after him give me my change and he tells me to get f***ed and gets in his car and drives off.

so im watching sydney the next day and theres this bloke spudding it up, dropping marks, shirking contests, couldnt hit a barn if he was standing in it. he looks familiar and i realise it was sam reid who kept my 25 change.

i rang the club on monday when they opened to complain about my change and they said they would speak to him but i dont think they did because he was picked again the next week

well i have a specific issue with sam reid.

i was a 17 and standing out the front of my local coles and trying to get someone to buy me beer for an 18th that night. i wanted 10 vic cans, they had on special for 25 bucks or something if you get 10. so this guy who looks familiar says ok, i give him 50 and he goes in, i wait around the corner. he comes back and gives me my cans and starts to walk away. im wondering where my change is so i yell after him give me my change and he tells me to get f***ed and gets in his car and drives off.

so im watching sydney the next day and theres this bloke spudding it up, dropping marks, shirking contests, couldnt hit a barn if he was standing in it. he looks familiar and i realise it was sam reid who kept my 25 change.

i rang the club on monday when they opened to complain about my change and they said they would speak to him but i dont think they did because he was picked again the next week

i had remember when i went through the kfc drive through once and got a bucket of the colonels original recipe, and was staggered when sam reid was at the window and handed me my food. (he must have been injured at the time and short of cash).

anyway when i got home and was ready to hand out the chicken to everyone i realised that sam reid had eaten the skin off every piece of chicken.

i was working in a car dealership in sydney a few years ago and sam reid came in one day and bought a brand new nissan cube with all the features. everything was fine till like a week later and he rocks up at the dealership in a taxi and is complaining about his car. said he took it to a game at the SCG during the day and after the night game tried to drive back home and nothing would happen. he said the car drove perfectly fine in day mode but did nothing in night mode. took a while to figure out what he was on about but turns out he thought D (drive) on the shifter was for day driving and N (neutral) was for night mode.
sam reid one time came into the drive through at red rooster i was working at and ordered a roast chicken roll with gravy and mustard in a combo. he then proceeded to tell me that he didnt want the mustard and gravy in his roll to touch (i guess he has issues with brown and gold). so i put the mustard on the bottom of the roll, then fill it with chicken and top it off with the gravy. its the only way i can think of to accommodate this mans strange request and my manager has a policy of doing whatever the customer wants, no matter how ridiculous. we dont have the drink that he wants (crab juice) but hes happy enough with a fanta.

so i hand the roll to him and i very clearly see him put it in the glovebox of his car. its strange but i dont think anything of it. i then go to hand him his chips and drink and he then says 'i didnt get my chicken roll'. i tell him i very clearly saw him put the roll in his glovebox. he gave a weird nervous laugh then drove off really fast without the rest of his meal.
When I was younger I worked at a local bottle shop while I was going to uni. There was 11 people working there but we were very busy and some of the staff had limited availability so we hired a christmas casual one year. It ended up being is tall lanky bloke called Sam Reid.

So we used to do a secret santa each year, and despite the fact he was only hired for the christmas period sam insisted that he be included with all the regular staff who had been there 2-3 years at this point. He looked like he was going to cry when he found out he wasn't going to be in it so our manager let him join in. Because he was new, we made him organise the thing and book the restaurant a few doors down from us where we had the party each year. I was pretty cranky when I drew his name out of the secret santa as he was a pretty weird bloke and I had no idea what to get him, so I just got him a gift voucher from the local westfields.

We used to do the secret santa presents at the party so I turned up and put my gift on the table, then noticed someone had stuffed up because there was another present there addressed to Sam. As more people walked in they had gifts with Sams name on it. When Sam eventually showed up he admitted that he put his own name in the secret santa 12 times. When asked why he said 'because it will save everyone having to get me a going away present when my casual period is finished'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyway when i got home and was ready to hand out the chicken to everyone i realised that sam reid had eaten the skin off every piece of chicken.

LOL... those posts were gold

View attachment 1869182
Egg, Bacon and Cheese sourdough toastie as a snack <3

#toastieaday
That looks suspiciously sandwich-like, given the bread is still seemingly soft and lacking the obligatory brown/black markings that are pre-requisites for a toasty.

Based on the evidence presented, whether it is toasted into toasty territory is debatable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back