Cancelling a hotel

Remove this Banner Ad

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm cancelling a hotel for the weekend and theyre giving me the no refund etc etc

Its a work thing, so I'm not really worried about it but its still $1k in rooms nobody is going to use and I didnt really enjoy the tone of the person at the hotel desk when I tried to cancel so I'm pretty keen on getting this money back

What are my options? (if any)

Is there a higher power (ombudsman type thing) I can call and complain to, or threat to complain to that might get them jumpy and offer me something?

and fwiw, it hasnt been prepaid, the card that was provided for the booking isnt in the name of the guest (card was employers name, guest was employee)

Not sure really, and this is going to be no help at all now since it's already cancelled, but I've read about people asking to postpone their booking by 2 weeks/1 month (thus incurring no fee), and then cancelling a few days later but before the new no cancellation date.

This may contradict your morals but I used to work in a hotel when I was younger that had a 24 hour cancellation policy. The only time the hotel manager ever granted a refund inside the cancellaton deadline was for the death of a relative or a dearly loved pet. If its for $1K I'd give it a go!

This may contradict your morals but I used to work in a hotel when I was younger that had a 24 hour cancellation policy. The only time the hotel manager ever granted a refund inside the cancellaton deadline was for the death of a relative or a dearly loved pet. If its for $1K I'd give it a go!

dont forget the death certificate

lol yeah I thought death might be the only way

in the end I thought I might sneak in there myself for the night and just enjoy a night in a different bed in the city, but when the weekend came around I couldnt be assed

But interestingly it was for 2 nights, they've only charged 1 night so far, so maybe they wont charge the second night

A lot of hotels have first night charged as a cancellation fee, so that might be it. Check the terms and conditions that would have been sent to you with the hotel booking or on the hotel website.

For the record where the hell did you book for $500 a night? I want to work for that company.

A lot of hotels have first night charged as a cancellation fee, so that might be it. Check the terms and conditions that would have been sent to you with the hotel booking or on the hotel website.

For the record where the hell did you book for $500 a night? I want to work for that company.

They could just be sending him to some shithole hotel in Port Hedland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back