News John Barker - set to remain at Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this article been posted but i love what i read about the JB, we may have a good one here in our own back yard:D:D:D

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-caretaker-coach/story-fnp04d70-1227417973943

Chris Yarran had been late to a team meeting ahead of John Barker’s first game as Blues caretaker coach and the new man in charge orders the entire squad to the early morning session earlier this month.
But it is one-in, all-in, and for Barker, that means the coach is taking the plunge as well.

Those close to the Hawks insist Barker played a role in helping to shape the likes of Jarryd Roughead and Lance Franklin in their early years — on and off the field.
And it was that ability to relate to people, a sound intellect as well as a feel for the modern game, that saw Lyon approach him to become an assistant coach at St Kilda, and it would lead to stints at Hawthorn under Clarkson, and also led him to Carlton under Brett Ratten and Malthouse.
It's been great to see the renewed enthusiasm from the playing group under JB. We've got a tough run home and all we can hope for is this effort to be maintained.

One things for sure, if we have a couple of bad losses all this positivity from the media towards JB will fade quickly.

Sorry for intruding but I wish we could have him as our Caretaker Coach right now
Can't begin to imagine what you people over there are going through. For this nightmare to effect so many people removed from the AFC it must be some sort of hell for supporters and club staff. Hoping you get through to a place where footy once more makes sense because right now it doesn't.

Chris Yarran had been late to a team meeting ahead of John Barker’s first game as Blues caretaker coach and the new man in charge orders the entire squad to the early morning session earlier this month.
But it is one-in, all-in, and for Barker, that means the coach is taking the plunge as well.

Pretty sure Hawthorn did this to their undisciplined players early on. Good to see JB brings this culture into our club.

Regardless of whether he gets the coaching gig or not, the half-time feature made me smile.

He seems a genuine lovely bloke with a great family. It's easy to see why he's known for being good with people.

Oddly enough, tonight's loss actually solidified in my mind that Barks is the man for the job more than the past two wins, we had no business getting within 2 goals of the Doggies, with our outs, and a few raw, clearly unready at AFL level kids,and early in the final stanza, alarm bells rang in my mind and I thought we were going to get flogged, bit Barks has got this young team of Baby Blues playing with finesse, heart and commitment, and that's all I ask, dare say Gibbs and Menz would have gotten us over the line tonight, but jiminy cricket, its exciting to see games into Nicky G and Holman , and Buckley is just getting better and better, pumped my first in the air when he kicked that amazing goal in the third quarter.

My mind is made up. Barker is our man.
#UnleashTheBarks
#TheJohnBarkerWingHasMovedToPrincesPark

:)

I'm still on the fence. He is showing a lot of good signs that suggest that he might be a much better head coach than an assistant.

However, he needs to be more adaptable when playing against teams like the mutts who will block things up with a full court flood if allowed to.

Still... if the club at the end of the season goes through the whole discovery process to find the best man for the job and he gets it... I will back him to the hilt while he is in the job*.

* But I won't appologise for saying that he is a terrible assistant coach and should have been sacked years ago!

We have been CONSISTENT in our effort for 4-5 weeks now for 4 quarters. Haven't seen that in a very, very long time. And I was very surprised we didn't give up last night. Good signs for Barker.

#backbarker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Win or loss the effort is there.

Out tackling the comp's best tackling team is a massive effort compared to our early season form in this regard.
the effort was outstanding but it was an ugly game, not sure whether that was because of lack of finesse or flooding by the Dogs, or both.

Barker had made a strong claim to coach next season though. The next few weeks will tell us whether it's a short lived bounce in effort/form.

the effort was outstanding but it was an ugly game, not sure whether that was because of lack of finesse or flooding by the Dogs, or both.

Barker had made a strong claim to coach next season though. The next few weeks will tell us whether it's a short lived bounce in effort/form.
I'd say both.

Effort was certainly not lacking, except when we were obviously running badly out of petrol and as Barker himself said, with some of the young guys who are new to some of our defensive setups we didn't always get things right, which meant we got exposed a few times, but overall I personally couldn't complain with the effort.

Convert a couple of the easy shots we missed and we could have won the game even with such an inexperienced lineup.

Sh*t gets real though in the upcoming weeks.

After tonight, I think I'd rather him back into the associate position.

We only conceded 71 points with a short back line and we found space offensively.

Our skills were awful though and we can't carry the likes of Curnow, Tutt and Carazzo in the midfield against quality sides.

At this point in time, he seems to be a very reactive coach. He doesnt make changes that force the opposition coach to react until well after the horse has bolted.

I think that this will slowly come with time... but is it time that we can afford?

It's a tough one.

Still playing guys that are down on skill and when you get games like the past couple of weeks, their deficiencies are glaring.

This next coach is the big one ... the one we need to make us professional, the one that won't play favourites, the one that will bring some ruthless professionalism to the team.

If we deem Barker is 75% a head coach who is doing a decent job, do we play it safe or do we go for the prospect of a 90% head coach who does a great job while risking him being a 50% coach who disappoints?

Each game gives us new insight. Team balance come selection night is all important. Punishing laziness is the most important.

It will be an interesting next couple of weeks.

What I didn't understand last night and I'm sure he has his reasons but is same old Carlton: Why did Cripps play? He was clearly struggling, let the kid have a rest, it wasn't going to effect our final aspirations.

Thought Hendo should of gone back once Jammo was subbed, instead of Field to Vickory as we had Wood, Cas, Everitt in the forward line for talls.
Yarren could of gone forward to worry the Ichmond backs.

Hendo's delivery going forward would help us out alot.

We only conceded 71 points with a short back line and we found space offensively.

Our skills were awful though and we can't carry the likes of Curnow, Tutt and Carazzo in the midfield against quality sides.

agree , only one of those 3 can play as a tagger

would choose curnow given his fitness and age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back