Carlton’s soul exorcised, I am disappointed

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton used to be a club that emphasised passion and pride, above all else. Even the odd touch of arrogance was there but it was there for a reason because we used to be respected and feared. Now I see my club in its current state, struggling for the past six years and barely showing a whimper. It hurts my mind. It hurts my soul. What have we become, that even our very own supporters wished for a spoon earlier this week just to get one place higher in the draft, and/or an extra pick? What has made this club so great over the best part of a hundred years is that it had pride, passion and the will to win. Even when the odds were great against us and the wins would do nothing for the seasons in question.

Call me an old school supporter if you will, but I do not believe a PP or any draft pick for that matter is worth destroying this pride for. The general idea of dropping games for one extra teenager who may or may not even turn out a superstar is quite disgusting, and embraces a losing mentality. Such a mentality should not be exposed to the younger playing group because such attitudes destroy confidence, it destroys their own belief that the club can go places with them contributing.

It also destroys cultures.

I admit that the PP will help, to an extent, but there have been many overly optimistic and even ridiculous claims. He will be the best player in the competition, he will be a 200 gamer, he will set us back 5 years if we miss him, he will instantly inspire those around him, he will turn water into wine, etc. But I am being a realist here – well, I think I am… this teenager may have a lot of potential but he has never played at senior level. He will need to be developed properly, in a good environment and nurtured by people who know what they are doing. All in all though, he will be a fresh fish and a nervous one at that, with the pressure of the entire club and supporter base on his shoulders. The bright white hope, at 18 years of age, taking the team and the club off the bottom - what expectation. I feel incredibly sorry for the kid. It is no good introducing kids in a team that thinks losing is OK – what good will that do to his confidence? What chance does he have to develop properly or at a faster rate when his team mates don’t give a damn about the jumper? Any kid will find it very hard to perform if he gets little support and is down on confidence, no matter how talented he is.

Is a single PP worth destroying our soul over? I don’t think it is – in fact, I think we can build a good team and have some success without the PP. Yes it will help, but retaining our pride and missing out won’t ruin our future. After all, it is only one individual. It all comes back to the players and the club having the right attitude – a winning one, like Carlton of old. Only then will we start seeing success if we begin to cut out this rot. I think we have a good young core already, and we can build on that. But some of the attitudes represented on this site disgusts me – one supporter even had a go with me for cheering for a win, and singing the song loudly if we do. So this is what we have become… over one pick? Using the excuse of tanking no doubt, which I think is simply an excuse supporters like to use to justify why their team is so crap. I don’t believe for a nanosecond players want to tank – they want to win. The Essendon game is proof in itself, just look at their genuine reactions at losing. Kouta can have his opinion on losing (seeing his reactions after losing, I don’t think he likes it either), so can Rhys-Jones – but I don’t think such talk would’ve been tolerated 10 years ago. I wonder what other legends like Nicholls, Doull, Southby, etc would think. Would they have supported losing? I’d assume not.

Opposition supporters can talk about us tanking all they want, but I am in the belief that you’re either good enough to win or you’re not. And those of you who think Carlton supporters here have no pride – well, you’re wrong. At least some of us do. If we are in the same position next year, I will be fighting the same fight.

Pride. Passion. Never let that go.

Good post mate and i know how hard it has been for you to put up with the type of supporters you are talking about.

Unfortunately the AFL has made it so that clubs have an opportunity to tank and get extra picks.

In some ways it isn't the clubs fault.

What the supporters who advocate it (and are even gleeful and gloating about it) fail to realize is the long term effects it will have to your club.

It is a slur on any club doing it on purpose and will erode a winning culture

The stats also show that it isn't the bee all and end all anyways.

Keep your chin up mate:thumbsu:

I think there is a diffrerence between trying to lose one game and what has happened at Carlton, where it appears they have tried to derail the second half of their season for this kid, which is truely losing their soul. And even if that is not the case, the attitude of the supporters in this latter part of the season, praying for losses, is a far cry from the arrogant ******** carlton supporters I once knew and respected

Unfortunately there's so much money in the game now that when it comes to a choice between doing the smart thing and the honourable thing, the smart thing wins out.

Take out the over the top emotional bullshit, and look at the situation in a clinical business like fashion.

Once the priorty pick became a possiblity, Carlton had to lose for their long term future

Its really quite simple.

Great post mate. It must hurt alot for a true proud supporter to see their club go through what Carlton has over the past few years.

I too am of the belief that priority picks don't make a huge difference in the long run. What you do with your lower picks and rookie spots has a larger influecne IMO. Granted the odd Chris Judd is nice, but you do not need years after years of PPs as carlton have had, which creates a losing mentality and a culture that embraces mediocrity.

Those supporters wanting Carlton to lose have no respect from me. Guys like Thrawn are the ones I feel truly sorry for. Keep fighting the good fight mate. :thumbsu:

So in other words you're pretty much saying Carlton are s**t?

Didn't need to write that much to get the message across.

No, I'm showing that not all of us have lost our pride.

If you want to talk s**t, then I'll be more than happy to mail my cling-ons from my arse to you. :thumbsu:

Call me an old school supporter if you will, but I do not believe a PP or any draft pick for that matter is worth destroying this pride for. The general idea of dropping games for one extra teenager who may or may not even turn out a superstar is quite disgusting, and embraces a losing mentality. Such a mentality should not be exposed to the younger playing group because such attitudes destroy confidence, it destroys their own belief that the club can go places with them contributing.

Never a truer word spoken.

unfortunately it is now a non-transparent part of the game, there was much talk about it but no-one really believed that it went on. as a pies member and a supporter of the blues longest rivals, it makes me sad to realise that the game HAS changed and that IT has happened.
terry wallace at least had the intestinal fortitude to say it but airing that only made him now appear to be a conscientious objector. unfortunately the blues hierarchy still have the same sense of arrogance, only now it is misplaced.:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take out the over the top emotional bullshit, and look at the situation in a clinical business like fashion.

Sorry for being human.

Once the priorty pick became a possiblity, Carlton had to lose for their long term future

Its really quite simple.

It's also simple that we don't really have to.

Why can't we build a decent team and have success without the PP? Because... ?

Sorry for being human.

It's also simple that we don't really have to.

Why can't we build a decent team and have success without the PP? Because... ?

Sorry that was a bit harsh. There is nothing wrong with showing some emotion and to a certain extent I understand it. No one want's to see their team lose.

To answer your question, you can be a decent team and have success without a PP. However your chances of climbing the ladder and being a future powerhouse are greatly enhanced by having priority selections. Weigh up winning today, a game which honestly counts for abo****ely nothing other then a few kids getting some more senior experince under their belt, versus gaining potentially 2 10 year 200 game players.

Like I said, if you strip away emotion and look at the situation as you would making a business decision, rationale dictates you want and need those priority picks

Will ANOTHER number 1 pick make that much difference?

I just respect the fans for having to sit through all of this, and they sign up year after year.

Carlton used to be a club that emphasised passion and pride, above all else. Even the odd touch of arrogance was there but it was there for a reason because we used to be respected and feared. Now I see my club in its current state, struggling for the past six years and barely showing a whimper. It hurts my mind. It hurts my soul. What have we become, that even our very own supporters wished for a spoon earlier this week just to get one place higher in the draft, and/or an extra pick? What has made this club so great over the best part of a hundred years is that it had pride, passion and the will to win. Even when the odds were great against us and the wins would do nothing for the seasons in question.

It also destroys cultures.

I admit that the PP will help, to an extent, but there have been many overly optimistic and even ridiculous claims. He will be the best player in the competition, he will be a 200 gamer, he will set us back 5 years if we miss him, he will instantly inspire those around him, he will turn water into wine, etc. But I am being a realist here – well, I think I am… this teenager may have a lot of potential but he has never played at senior level. He will need to be developed properly, in a good environment and nurtured by people who know what they are doing. All in all though, he will be a fresh fish and a nervous one at that, with the pressure of the entire club and supporter base on his shoulders. The bright white hope, at 18 years of age, taking the team and the club off the bottom - what expectation. I feel incredibly sorry for the kid. It is no good introducing kids in a team that thinks losing is OK – what good will that do to his confidence? What chance does he have to develop properly or at a faster rate when his team mates don’t give a damn about the jumper? Any kid will find it very hard to perform if he gets little support and is down on confidence, no matter how talented he is.

Is a single PP worth destroying our soul over? I don’t think it is – in fact, I think we can build a good team and have some success without the PP. Yes it will help, but retaining our pride and missing out won’t ruin our future. After all, it is only one individual. It all comes back to the players and the club having the right attitude – a winning one, like Carlton of old. Only then will we start seeing success if we begin to cut out this rot. I think we have a good young core already, and we can build on that. But some of the attitudes represented on this site disgusts me – one supporter even had a go with me for cheering for a win, and singing the song loudly if we do. So this is what we have become… over one pick? Using the excuse of tanking no doubt, which I think is simply an excuse supporters like to use to justify why their team is so crap. I don’t believe for a nanosecond players want to tank – they want to win. The Essendon game is proof in itself, just look at their genuine reactions at losing. Kouta can have his opinion on losing (seeing his reactions after losing, I don’t think he likes it either), so can Rhys-Jones – but I don’t think such talk would’ve been tolerated 10 years ago. I wonder what other legends like Nicholls, Doull, Southby, etc would think. Would they have supported losing? I’d assume not.

Opposition supporters can talk about us tanking all they want, but I am in the belief that you’re either good enough to win or you’re not. And those of you who think Carlton supporters here have no pride – well, you’re wrong. At least some of us do. If we are in the same position next year, I will be fighting the same fight.

Pride. Passion. Never let that go.

One of the best posts I have ever read. Ignore any criticism as it lame.

Will ANOTHER number 1 pick make that much difference?

I just respect the fans for having to sit through all of this, and they sign up year after year.

In Carlton's case they are getting 2 picks inside the top 5. Correct me if im wrong

In a nutshell that makes a huge difference. It's the eqivalent of players the calibare of Riewdolt,Judd,Koshitzke,Didak,Pavlich ect.. which are just some of the players who have gone in the top 5 over the last decade

No one want's to see their team lose.

You'd be surprised.

However your chances of climbing the ladder and being a future powerhouse are greatly enhanced by having priority selections.

Greatly enhanced from a PP, one player. Someone who we don't even know how he will turn out.

I'd say the right mindset, a good environment, good development and smart drafting have a better influence.

Like I said, if you strip away emotion and look at the situation as you would making a business decision, rationale dictates you want and need those priority picks

Believe me, I have pondered this for quite some time now. However, you are still embracing losing and are continuing a poor culture ... it is self-destructive. I believe pride is very important, and the will to win no matter where you are. The Kangaroos are a prime example, I admire them very much. And they're now in the top four missing their best forward for the whole year. And they're not filled with PPs either, and that said, neither are the other top 4 teams. They certainly did not need to lie down for as long as we have to have some seasonal success.

Well said Thrawn, don't worry, I know who the Carlton supporters are on here that have lost their souls and they should be ashamed, but they aren't, that's the type of people they are.
When the Blues finally come good you can hold your head high.

Carlton is regarded as having supporters that are some of the most shallow and lacking in football knowledge going about. The majority support tanking and many of those that don't, are still secretly happy about the planned outcome of a PP.

Thrawn, however, is one of the few Carlton posters on this forum I have anytime for because the sentiments he has expressed in this post he has consistently stated over a long period of time.

Top post.

Carlton is regarded as having supporters that are some of the most shallow and lacking in football knowledge going. The majority support tanking and many of those that don't are secretly happy about the planned outcome of a PP.

Thrawn, however, is one of the few Carlton posters on this forum I have anytime for because the sentiments he has expressed in this post he has consistently stated over a long period of time.

Top post.
:thumbsu::thumbsu: Not a bad post right back at ya.

Well said Thrawn . It is indeed a sad state of affairs that supporters think this is what will bring them back from the wilderness .
What will bring them back is pride and a winning culture . Not a kid .

Thrawn, you have my sympathy. Any true sportsman like yourself would rightly be appalled at these goings on. However, I wonder whether this episode is merely an extention of a culture which has permeated your club for over 40 years. The win-at-all costs attitude espoused by Harris and Elliott is having a latterday renaissance. We now know what the costs were of that piece of genius. If the members hadn't been conned into thinking all was well due to seeming continued success, maybe more critical analysis would have been done of the administration.

It could easily be interpreted that Carlton have learnt nothing from the catastrophe which was Elliott et al. Thinking on your behalf, maybe that's part of the whole culture to which you're referring. Either way, the club would be much better served by having a lot more people with your attitude. To deprive you supporters of pride in a team which tries every time it goes on the park is flirting with disaster. If supporters lose this belief, what is there left to cling to? Your route at least has some honour attached.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back