Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They live in Balwyn therefore I wonder if this would put him & his brothers in the Eastern Ranges catchment.

I've kept an eye on the website of the club the Silvagni boys play for & Jack has not stood out at his level. The youngest Silvagni, Tom, is the one who regularly is listed in his team's best players, unfortunately he was only playing U11s this season so has a little while to go before being able to be drafted.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully he's a late developer :p

Thanks for the info. Hopefully he's a late developer :p
It could change very quickly. A bit of extra motivation, a growth spurt (not that I pretend to know how tall Jack already is), a further step up in level etc, may lead to him becoming a standout, but I can't help wondering if, like so many of our recent potential father/son picks, that perhaps Jack might not have the hunger to play AFL football. We shall certainly find out one way or another within the next 2 years.

It could change very quickly. A bit of extra motivation, a growth spurt (not that I pretend to know how tall Jack already is), a further step up in level etc, may lead to him becoming a standout, but I can't help wondering if, like so many of our recent potential father/son picks, that perhaps Jack might not have the hunger to play AFL football. We shall certainly find out one way or another within the next 2 years.

I know we are all keen to find the next big thing and especially if it is a father son. That said, we also need to be careful not to be hoping for things that are not there. The boy may not be that interested in footy. It would be incredibly hard at that age to be living up to a father who was a legend of the game. Give him time, if he wants to play at the highest level and he is good enough it will happen, otherwise good luck to him what ever he chooses to pursue in life.

I know we are all keen to find the next big thing and especially if it is a father son. That said, we also need to be careful not to be hoping for things that are not there. The boy may not be that interested in footy. It would be incredibly hard at that age to be living up to a father who was a legend of the game. Give him time, if he wants to play at the highest level and he is good enough it will happen, otherwise good luck to him what ever he chooses to pursue in life.
This is pretty much what I was alluding to, but perhaps didn't articulate it as I wanted to.

Of the 3 Silvagni boys, Jack probably has the most pressure on him, being the eldest & the first one to come through. By the time the younger 2 boys are of an age to be drafted, SOS will have been out of the game for almost 20 years & to an extent will be just another past player.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jack has his focus on a career outside of football & is playing the game for the same reason most of us have done at varying levels, for the enjoyment & to spend time with mates.

Ultimately if even one of the boys goes on to play at our club, we will have done well. Of course there is no harm in hoping we might unearth a F/S pick who can be too us what GAJ & Matty Scarlett were to Geelong.

This is pretty much what I was alluding to, but perhaps didn't articulate it as I wanted to.

Of the 3 Silvagni boys, Jack probably has the most pressure on him, being the eldest & the first one to come through. By the time the younger 2 boys are of an age to be drafted, SOS will have been out of the game for almost 20 years & to an extent will be just another past player.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jack has his focus on a career outside of football & is playing the game for the same reason most of us have done at varying levels, for the enjoyment & to spend time with mates.

Ultimately if even one of the boys goes on to play at our club, we will have done well. Of course there is no harm in hoping we might unearth a F/S pick who can be too us what GAJ & Matty Scarlett were to Geelong.

Never.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both lads had a go at the Cannons but didn't set the world on fire. Not bad, but not superstars. Hopefully they can mature into decent players in the VFL. Coburg is going to need players now they are standing alone. Richmond didn't do them any favours.

I know the academy was a good idea, but I really am wondering where the talent is. Not many takers since J. Waite came down from Myrtleford, relatively unheralded. Not highly rated as a kid, but really developed. (Pity he never can play a whole season through injuries and brain fades.)
Since then, young Buckley has been the only one to generate the interest and he is now generating questions.
It would be really nice to get a few lads coming through before the Silvagnis get their chance.

Last I heard he was still on East Freo's list, but he hadn't made much of an impression. More worried about his education.
Best wishes to him.

Could you imagine the teasing that he would have had to put up with over the years...

"The best part of you was left in the glovebox one night." and "Geez your dad was a bit of a w***er wasnt he!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back