Remove this Banner Ad

This lad still my preferred pick:

Blake Howes

Sandringham.jpg
SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro | Forward/Wing
07/04/2003 | 190cm | 79kg
October Ranking:

Snapshot: One of the best athletes available in this year’s draft, Howes boasts a terrific aerial game but also competes well at ground level and shows promising versatility.

Howes is a player who featured in our top 25 at various points in the year and should be well known to keen draft watchers. He was an All Australian at Under 16 level, plying his trade as a high-marking medium forward with wonderful athleticism and clean hands. While he started the year off in that usual forward post, Howes has since shown his versatility with a shift to the wing and is a classic high-ceiling type of prospect. He was included in this year’s initial AFL Academy intake and continued to back up that selection with form fitting of his potential as a mainstay in the Sandringham Dragons’ side. His mix of speed, endurance, and aerial nous point towards massive potential and he’ll be hard to overlook in round two.

I am not so sure about sliders. Normally if a player slips down the rankings it is for a reason. The player was previously highly rated the year before and then issues appear . Last 2 year are an exception due to lack of form to judge players on. I would rather a bolter like a Bont or Oliver that just keeps getting better and better.
We pick plenty of sliders; the problem is that we tend to pick them before they slide.

Surely you have the capacity to go beyond labels. Has performed in each third of the ground. Not hard to view his role primarily as a wingman with his athletic profile. There are others that I am more drawn to, particularly on “needs”, but his profile reads like our own “Hyphen” of years gone by. X factor forward Motlop, or perhaps KPP Bazzo may fall in our draft range.

The disposal “slows” on Goater are too loud to ignore, and I am amazed you question Brown as a “general defender” making no sense and throw up Sinn with the same classification. Quite astounding really.
We need players who can get separation and open up the game with their run and footskills. I see his play as that of a stay-at-home general defender.

I'm making my own label based on observation, rather than accepting the consensus view.

Hopefully we get someone good. Mostly the player won’t impact for 3 seasons with a pick in the 20s. This in the context of our time is now.

Get someone, let them develop In the 2s and build confidence.

Meanwhile I’m hoping like hell Philp and Kemp come on this year. stocker goes bananas and somehow Voss saves Dow and LoB from the same fate as SPS.

Other then that I’m crossing everything for Charlie Curnow. I think in terms of the n3xt 3 years and top 4; everything hinges on him and his knees.

Hopefully we get someone good. Mostly the player won’t impact for 3 seasons with a pick in the 20s. This in the context of our time is now.

Get someone, let them develop In the 2s and build confidence.

Meanwhile I’m hoping like hell Philp and Kemp come on this year. stocker goes bananas and somehow Voss saves Dow and LoB from the same fate as SPS.

Other then that I’m crossing everything for Charlie Curnow. I think in terms of the n3xt 3 years and top 4; everything hinges on him and his knees.
Jake Bowey went for a pick in the 20s in last year's draft, now he's a premiership player. In 2019, Dev Robertson, Harry Schoenberg, Jeremy Sharp and Harry Jones all were in the 20s. The 2018 draft had Collier-Dawkins, Bobby Hill, James Rowbottom and Tom Sparrow all go for a pick in the 20s.

While most of the talent in the draft often goes in the first round, I think it's a myth that players in the second round can't impact in their first 3 seasons. Austin has a big job on his hands!

We should look at trying to move up slightly with Freo's pick 19 (21), with picks 6 and 8 already they may be open to moving it on for something next year. Our pick 25 (27) and future second for their pick 19 (21) and future third or something. Would be a good spot to sit, would definitely be some sliders there. I just really want Draper and think that's about his range, he's a diehard Carlton fan too. Motlop, Butler likely available around there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jake Bowey went for a pick in the 20s in last year's draft, now he's a premiership player. In 2019, Dev Robertson, Harry Schoenberg, Jeremy Sharp and Harry Jones all were in the 20s. The 2018 draft had Collier-Dawkins, Bobby Hill, James Rowbottom and Tom Sparrow all go for a pick in the 20s.

While most of the talent in the draft often goes in the first round, I think it's a myth that players in the second round can't impact in their first 3 seasons. Austin has a big job on his hands!
I think Sharp and RCD are pretty good examples actually. Sharp was only given two games in his first year and a half while he was developing and then looked ready when he came in to the team. RCD an on baller that was given two full years of development before playing in his third year. Good to see these guys with potential but needing development given some time. Looking forward to out reserves team being seen as a development academy rather than a graveyard.

Schoenberg, Sharp and Jones are all in rebuilding sides that are pumping games into kids. Bowey a great exception, but still only played 7 matches this year.

Robertson was as ready-made as you get. And he still only played one match in his debut season.

Collier-Dawkins didn't debut until his 3rd season. Sparrow hardly played til his 3rd season. Hill only became a regular this year. Rowbottom has admittedly been a regular since drafted.

And without checking, I assume the guys you have mentioned have played more than most others in the selected in the 20s. No offence Ash, but I think your post disproves your theory more than it proves it.

There are always exceptions, but it's generally folly to expect much from players in their first few years.

Last edited:
Schoenberg, Sharp and Jones are all in rebuilding sides that are pumping games into kids. Bowey a great exception, but still only played 7 matches this year.

Robertson was as ready-made as you get. And he still only played one match in his debut season.

Collier-Dawkins didn't debut until his 3rd season. Sparrow hardly played til his 3rd season. Hill only became a regular this year. Rowbottom has admittedly been a regular since drafted.

And without checking, I assume the guys you have mentioned have played more than most others in the selected in the 20s. No offence Ash, but I think your post disproves your theory more than it proves it.

There are always exceptions, but it's generally follow to expect much from players in their first few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back