Preview Carlton v Geelong match simulation - Thursday 22nd Feb 11.30am @ Ikon Park - Squad post #21 🏈

Remove this Banner Ad

Great report!

I saw bits and pieces of game while chatting with people and have to agree with your comments

Cincotta showed a lot more than Cowan did in seniors.
O'Keefe is a beauty. Has it and won't take long
Lemmey improving
Little bits from Wilson & Monahan were nice
Binns & Carroll work hard
Havent see Cow at reserves level but at senior level to date he hasn't provided any real drive. Has worked hard at negating though. Match video from his junior career suggests he was a rebounder. Does he do this at ressie's level?

Our F50 entries were a bit ordinary, Cats far more clinical in this area.
Hope we learn not to constantly bomb it long, expecting Charlie and Harry to win the game for us.
H did look more confident in the ruck contests. :heavycheck:
I agree, but also feel like much of their 'pure' entries can be attributed to our defenders falling asleep/not working hard enough/sleeping?

There were maybe 5-6 occasions where their forwards had 10-15m of space. Can anyone at the ground provide an explanation? I couldn't believe how much space our defenders were giving.

Obviously losing Jacob's defensive capabilities is massive, but his on-field coaching/voice will be a significant loss too. Let's hope he is ready to go for Round 3.

Coach needs to show some faith in Lewis Young to give him some self belief. He's down in confidence and form but he is a competitor and he's shown in the past that he has talent. Many key backs of the past have started a bit wobbly but gained confidence and form over time.

Moir has elite talent. If the team culture is good he'll be a star.

Jury is out on Elijah Holland's for mine.

Orazio makes a big difference up forward. Makes the opposition defenders nervous.

Some good additions by Nick Austin this offseason..

This was tried at the end 2022 in the VFL for mixed results. My memory was he went ok, wasn't outstanding and didn't kick accurately.

He's fitter now, could be revisited. I'm more curious about his onball capabilities.
Decision-making and disposal aren't good enough to play there. The turnovers I saw yesterday without pressure were a concern.

Havent see Cow at reserves level but at senior level to date he hasn't provided any real drive. Has worked hard at negating though. Match video from his junior career suggests he was a rebounder. Does he do this at ressie's level?
Towards the end of last year he showed that at VFL level, but probably needs another 6-12 months under his belt before he's ready for primetime. He's not one I worry about.

Coach needs to show some faith in Lewis Young to give him some self belief. He's down in confidence and form but he is a competitor and he's shown in the past that he has talent. Many key backs of the past have started a bit wobbly but gained confidence and form over time.

Orazio makes a big difference up forward. Makes the opposition defenders nervous.

Nice to see someone else not all aboard the E Hollands train just yet. For someone with questionable speed and change of direction ability he isn't an elite user of the footy either from what I've seen. Competes hard though

Cowan will be good. Only a practice match but now fitter and looks more mature. I expect him to step up quickly and be an attacking defender at AFL Level

Liked Cincotta yesterday. Back to his running game that got him a contract. I expect big improvement on him as well

Nice to see someone else not all aboard the E Hollands train just yet. For someone with questionable speed and change of direction ability he isn't an elite user of the footy either from what I've seen. Competes hard though
I didn't see the game or any footage but I saw enough Suns footage to know he has talent.
Also surprised at how relaxed he was and how he handled post match media.
2nd Video: What they said: Hamill on backline mix, match simulation debrief

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a nice enough defender but not sure he's the most desperate of competitors...

I thought E Hollands was our best yesterday. Dissapointing we won't have him for the first 2 rounds, hopefully are 1-1 (realistically) and can kick the season off after the bye with him.
Yep I think Eli was pretty good too, lowered his eyes and tried to pin-point his kicks more than most team mates, certainly best 23.
I only focused on new/fringe players to see who gets first chance this year. Boyd was easily the standout, give him the kick-in duties and release Gov as a marking option.
Didn't see a lot of positives with the other fringe players, but it's still early times.

Last edited:
Decision-making and disposal aren't good enough to play there. The turnovers I saw yesterday without pressure were a concern.

Towards the end of last year he showed that at VFL level, but probably needs another 6-12 months under his belt before he's ready for primetime. He's not one I worry about.
Nothing yesterday was 'a concern'. Some players just don't 'get up' for scratch matches. Who cares. Miles in the legs.

The pre-season hitouts aren't about winning or losing or individual player form.

They are more about 'how we play/transition the ball'. Have we shown improvement efficiency on how we get goals.

From what I saw there is marginal improvement at best. Will wait for the next game to see if there is any special improvement. I feel the improvement we have got is more about us trading for a few better players around the half fwd line more than system. I feel there is no effective system; only good or bad players right now trying hard or not hard. Example, E Hollands hand offs are better than Owies scrub kicks inside 50 right now which explains some of the incremental improvement.

The above bit is funny too as I expect inside the club they are spending hours and hours on transition/system/craft which then on gameday plays out as a bunch of good players winning/losing with zero transition system. Everything they must be doing is coming up empty on gameday visibility as it looks completely unplanned/unsystematic.

As someone else has pointed out, there is at least one change in our 'supposed system'. That is, we push up hard to lock the ball in our half. Even though this fell apart as the Cats overlapped wrecked us with more players in our defensive 50 which was hilarious; I expect Hanson is expecting this to be much better with 4/5 more best 22 players available and the missing ingredient from the Cats game which was the implied pressure to run back when 4 real points are on the line. I hope so.

Didn't anyone else wonder while watching what the half backs/defenders were thinking/doing when Geelong broke out of our fwd 50 and starts running downfield. When we saw this play out not one of our defenders were near anyone as the Cat players ran straight through us. All that marshalling/downfield view resulted in effectively nothing. In terms of further comparison...I felt 90% of time Geelong have a player marking our forwards 1 on 1 if not 2 v 1. Correspondingly, i felt Geelong's fwds were mostly unmarked in an overlap play 50%+ of the time.

Still...we have got a very good list and some really determined/physical/talented players. We are going to do well with no system of note.

Last edited:
Then what happened in the middle of last season? I am continually mesmerised by the naysayers take on a SIMULATION game!! Letting the Cats charge through our defence, how about an instruction that clearly states "THIS IS NOT A REAL GAME DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET INJURED!!"

All this winning mentality stuff in preseason fluff, WTF!!!!!

Thy what is going on here????

Then what happened in the middle of last season? I am continually mesmerised by the naysayers take on a SIMULATION game!! Letting the Cats charge through our defence, how about an instruction that clearly states "THIS IS NOT A REAL GAME DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET INJURED!!"

Win/Loss analysis of a scratch match 😳

I'm starting to think Thy's will may be done........

Last edited:

If they have completely zero value, why are they even scheduled? Did Geelong take completely nothing out of the game at all?

Why did Geelong and Carlton even get together and plan the boundary throw-ins instead of a centre bounce. If it means zero, why bother even doing that?

They did it because they want to see that stoppage and resulting transition under heat.

Yes, it is not a 4 point game but saying that have zero value is misguided. If we won, and won well, then everyone talks about development. No one here would ever say after a win it had ZERO value.

Carlton goggle posters.

Issue was compounded by one of TDK/H being off the ground around 40% of the game and Geelong being happy to have numbers behind the ball with a defence that are all good overhead. Windy conditions made it hard to pinpoint kicks I50 and we didn't take the short kicks i50 often enough.

We also got punished on turnover pressing up the ground and not getting back quick enough.

Will be interesting to see how much we can improve things next week.
You can go out in these games and belt weak opposition and get nothing out of it or you can go up against strong opposition and that will expose everything we need to work on. They exposed our mistakes and weaknesses which weak opposition and intraclub match sims don't always do.

We will take a lot out of it, it will give the coaching group some direction on what we need to focus on and improve.

Obviously there are some structural things to tidy up as well as skills to tidy up. A valuable hitout.

Next match will be important, we will want to show improvement. Cleaner skills, better plays up the middle, better forward entries, more out of small forwards, less opposition marks in defence and when we kick long up the line and as you said better two way running.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back