Preview Carlton v Geelong match simulation - Thursday 22nd Feb 11.30am @ Ikon Park - Squad post #21 🏈

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I saw something else too. Harry was competitive in the ruck and has replaced JSoS to some extent if we want to go with one ruck. That was a useful insight.

He was physical and made his presence felt in the ruck. Gone is the drivel about leaving Mckay in the forward 50. If required Carlton WILL use him in the ruck.
I'm with ya. I thought big H was really good in his stints in the ruck, especially his 2nd and 3rd efforts a la JSOS.

If he can add that string to his bow this year, it gives us more flexibility both at the selection table and up forward....although I still feel that Vossy prefers the 2 genuine ruck combo of TDK and Pitto when they're both fit - especially as TDK can also go forward as a 3rd marking option to stretch the oppo defence.

Martin is the real wildcard though as he can play both tall and small, so you can then rotate 3 genuine smalls through the forward half. We saw that the other day when TDK went off for a spell, H into the ruck, and Moir came on to fill the Martin role.

If we lose that game, it will be irrelevant. But if we win it, it will mean so so much more about everything....if we win then it might sovle climate change on here.

I think I've got real issues....
spot on......

Hey guys, extreme long shot but have you see anywhere we can get a replay of the vfl match that followed our scratch match?

Lots of kids we wanted to see play but kayo cut off after the seniors match
As far as I know there's no replay - but I stuck around for the VFL game. It was stinking hot, and they called it off about 8 minutes into the final quarter before someone spontaneously combusted.

I was obviously taking more notice of our own youngsters, but there were a few of yours that caught my eye. Jeka played deep in defence and looked pretty steady back there. Willis also seemed to get a fair bit of it in the guts. But the one who did impress was Humphries, who played across half back - plenty of dash and drive on the rebound. Think you may have found one there.

And George is a massive unit - has the turning arc of the Queen Mary, but impossible to displace when his arse is over the ball. Looked fairly composed though, especially in the stoppages and centre bounces.

Not about winning/losing. There are other takeaways that are important. For example...the game cemented Boyd as a first choice player or very close to it give Z Williams is to be added.

So value in the game.

Agreed. Winning or losing isn't anything to be concerned about in preseason. Demonstrating inept ball movement (particularly by foot) after a full summer practicing it is a valid concern. Will be interesting to see how it shapes up next week against the dees.

As far as I know there's no replay - but I stuck around for the VFL game. It was stinking hot, and they called it off about 8 minutes into the final quarter before someone spontaneously combusted.

I was obviously taking more notice of our own youngsters, but there were a few of yours that caught my eye. Jeka played deep in defence and looked pretty steady back there. Willis also seemed to get a fair bit of it in the guts. But the one who did impress was Humphries, who played across half back - plenty of dash and drive on the rebound. Think you may have found one there.

And George is a massive unit - has the turning arc of the Queen Mary, but impossible to displace when his arse is over the ball. Looked fairly composed though, especially in the stoppages and centre bounces.

Thank you so much, we've been desperate to get some kind of intel. We got nothing from the club so thanks!

Enjoy the season guys, I reckon you guys will be pretty hard to stop

It was very hot and windy, so certainly wouldn’t place any stock in the results.

Moir is more advanced than I hoped (based on our BF track watchers) but likely doesn’t play seniors this season unless we have significant injuries.

Thought Eli Hollands slotted in well.
Ollie Hollands is a running machine.
I felt Motlop was holding back but getting to the dangerous spots.
And Cuningham was up the field a bit more to deliver into F50.
Saad was good.
And tried to use McGovern as an attacking kick out of defence (more prominently).

Certainly aimed for quicker ball movement early on before the heat and wind got the better of the players.

We will have more run with Williams, Cerra, Walsh, Marchbank and Martin in.

It was very hot and windy, so certainly wouldn’t place any stock in the results.

Moir is more advanced than I hoped (based on our BF track watchers) but likely doesn’t play seniors this season unless we have significant injuries.

Thought Eli Hollands slotted in well.
Ollie Hollands is a running machine.
I felt Motlop was holding back but getting to the dangerous spots.
And Cuningham was up the field a bit more to deliver into F50.
Saad was good.
And tried to use McGovern as an attacking kick out of defence (more prominently).

Certainly aimed for quicker ball movement early on before the heat and wind got the better of the players.

We will have more run with Williams, Cerra, Walsh, Marchbank and Martin in.
I thought Cerra played?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how every second Carlton poster says the game is a waste of space after the loss. Then funny how the Geelong board cite development, transition, & player selection. Would be no different if result was reversed. Geelong posters would en masse post that it was a waste of time and Carlton would cite development and progress and selection.

Goggle posters.
No. It's not a waste of time. Nitpicking and going hard into detail is. Anyone watching could see it was just about some miles in the legs against some form of resistance. That's all. It's that simple. Geelong posters can read into it whatever the hell they want. It was a training drill so round 1 isn't a huge shock to the system. That is all.

We should also remember one Bryce Gibbs as an example of preseason and not judging too much. For all the flak he could cop, no one can really deny he could play when the season proper hit, but pre-season he rarely looked interested, never really got out of 1st gear.

Then you had your preseason heroes (was it Teague? Actually, think it was Callum.. someone) that rules preseason but mediocre in the real thing.

Anyway, can't fully judge until Round 1 comes along.

Hi all. Went along with a couple of carlton-mad mates.

As stated. Terrible conditions. Hot & windy. Geelong clearly handled the conditions a lot better than us, which was a tad disappointing. They ran a lot more numbers during the game. We stuck with our selected team.

Before I get into the individual performances, I will say that there were a few concerns, praccy game or not.
  • Geelong's ability to exit our back line with so much ease after a behind was scored
  • Our inability to exit their back line after they scored a behind
  • Our inability to lock the ball in
  • The ad hoc way we tried to win the game in the last few minutes. Full back plays on from goal square after a behind. Kicks as long as he can to 3 x geelong players in the centre of the square. Happened at least 3 times in the last five minutes. Surely we have set plays we can practice in these situations
  • Our lack of depth for KPD's was there for all to see. Young battled hard and at least has the size. Kemp and McGovern were extremely undersized. Really hoping Sam Durdin and Marchbank are available against the Dee's because Geelong clearly saw what we saw and were bombing the ball long, knowing it would not be intercepted by us.
OK. To the players in number order:

2. Lachie Cowan - didn't do much. Neither good nor bad. Looks ok. Needs more development.

3. Jesse Motlop - to be honest - didn't see much different from last year. Looked dangerous, but couldn't get himself in the play.

4. Ollie Hollands - BOG by a long way for us. Was fierce at the ball. Has a great footy brain. Good skills. Loved what I saw.

5. Adam Cerra - solid. Looked sharp.

8. Lachie Fogarty - laid a few tackles. Didn't get much of the ball. No goals. Don't think he's the solution to our small forward issues.

9. Patrick Cripps - solid. Looked fit. Really sharp.

10. Harry McKay - what can I say that others haven't. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. His marking is elite. His kicking is just so unpredictable.

11. Mitch McGovern - solid. The backline definitely suits him. Took some great marks. Made some big spoils. Was very good.

12. Tom De Koning - was good without being great.

13. Blake Acres - as above.

14. Orazio Fantasia - I actually liked what I saw. Was quick. Looked very good with ball in hand - dangerous/creative. From what I saw I would be playing him round 0.

15. Sam Docherty - played mainly on ball. Was very good. Smart player. Does the team things very well.

16. Jack Carroll - only played the last quarter. Got a clearance or two. Nothing outstanding about him. Good size now. Handy depth.

17. Brodie Kemp - I have to be careful here, because I am not a supporter that gets stuck into players, but I have to call it how I saw it. Had a stinker. Everything he touched, particularly in the first half, resulted in a score to Geelong. Is way too undersized for a KPD. Unusually looked low on confidence (for our first practice game of the year). Not sure what lies ahead for Brodie.

20. Elijah Hollands - Really liked what I saw. Good size. Powerful. Good runner. Got a bit of the ball. Will be in our team straight after the bye.

24. Nic Newman - solid. Looked sharp. Makes good decisions.

28. David Cuningham - really disappointed. Doesn't do enough. Can't find the ball. Was played on ball. Underwhelming. Won't be in our round 0 team on that performance.

29. George Hewett - solid. Looked fit. Liked what I saw from George.

30. Charlie Curnow - was running around like a chook with his head cut off. Played on Kaleidescope who outbodied/outmarked him numerous times. Tried to kick the life out of the ball the few times he did get it. He'll get better.

33. Lewis Young - I didn't mind his game. Was aggressive. Read the play well. Intercepted. The issue with Young is all above the shoulders. He does not have the ability to make a quick, decisive decision with ball in hand. Almost freezes when he gets it. The best thing for all and sundry would be for him to dish off to team-mates asap. Will be our FB unless big Durds shows a lot against Melbourne.

37. Jordan Boyd - was very good. Got a lot of it. Solid. Great kicking skills. Can play that lock down role. Should play round 1.

42. Adam Saad - solid. Looked sharp. Didn't get out of 3rd gear.

43. Ashton Moir - tall but light build. Was easily pushed off the ball several times. Not strong enough in the marking contest at this stage so would need separation. Played as the second tall when Charlie or Harry weren't there, which was a big ask. Obviously has beautiful kicking skills.

46. Matthew Cottrell - looks a good AFL player now. Knows his role and plays it well. Will play round 1

OVERALL
Disappointing day due to our skills (or lack thereof) and our lack of structure.

Backline - The Weitering & Marchbank injuries/illness obviously exposed us for height down back. A bit of a worry knowing the height Brisbane, Richmond and North have up forward. Flow on affect with Young, Kemp & McGovern having to step up. We are fine for small defenders with Williams due back and Cincotta in the mix. Ideal would be Williams and Marchbank in for Cowan and Kemp.

Mids - will get stronger and stronger. Add Walsh, Kennedy and Elijah Hollands over the first 3 games and we are looking good.

Rucks - I still think we are better with two rucks. Hoping Big Pitt is available by Round 0 to face Big O. TDK still a bit of a highlights package. Needs support. Harry played as a pure ruck for about 20% of each quarter. Must admit, I hated it. Had my heart in my mouth every time he jumped up to contest a ruck contest. O'Keefe's development in the 2's is nice to hear.

Forwards - So many issues identified today. No Martin or JSOS left us with Harry and Charlie and the 18 year old Moir as our third marking forward. TDK didn't rest forward so when he came off for a break, Harry went in the ruck, leaving Charlie and Moir as our only marking options. So, of course Geelong knew where the ball was going EVERY time. That's why Pitto is so important, as it would allow TDK to rest forward and give the opposition a 3rd marking forward to worry about. I'd love to say Moir can play that role, but he is just too slight and easily moved off the ball. Could still happen, but unlikely. Orazio and Motlop are locks for me. Cuningham and Fog a big fat no, as they don't kick goals and go missing for too long. I'd love little Durds or Owies to be available, with Cotts/Cripps/Doc/Kennedy rolling through.

Looking forward to a better showing this week, leading into our first game.

Really hoping to see big Durds, Marchbank and others fit and selected.

As stated. Terrible conditions. Hot & windy. Geelong clearly handled the conditions a lot better than us, which was a tad disappointing. They ran a lot more numbers during the game. We stuck with our selected team.

Before I get into the individual performances, I will say that there were a few concerns, praccy game or not.
  • Geelong's ability to exit our back line with so much ease after a behind was scored
  • The ad hoc way we tried to win the game in the last few minutes. Full back plays on from goal square after a behind. Kicks as long as he can to 3 x geelong players in the centre of the square. Happened at least 3 times in the last five minutes. Surely we have set plays we can practice in these situations
  • Our lack of depth for KPD's was there for all to see. Young battled hard and at least has the size. Kemp and McGovern were extremely undersized. Really hoping Sam Durdin and Marchbank are available against the Dee's because Geelong clearly saw what we saw and were bombing the ball long, knowing it would not be intercepted by us.

2. Lachie Cowan - didn't do much. Neither good nor bad. Looks ok. Needs more development.

3. Jesse Motlop - to be honest - didn't see much different from last year. Looked dangerous, but couldn't get himself in the play.

4. Ollie Hollands - BOG by a long way for us. Was fierce at the ball. Has a great footy brain. Good skills. Loved what I saw.

8. Lachie Fogarty - laid a few tackles. Didn't get much of the ball. No goals. Don't think he's the solution to our small forward issues.

10. Harry McKay - what can I say that others haven't. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. His marking is elite. His kicking is just so unpredictable.

11. Mitch McGovern - solid. The backline definitely suits him. Took some great marks. Made some big spoils. Was very good.

14. Orazio Fantasia - I actually liked what I saw. Was quick. Looked very good with ball in hand - dangerous/creative. From what I saw I would be playing him round 0.

15. Sam Docherty - played mainly on ball. Was very good. Smart player. Does the team things very well.

16. Jack Carroll - only played the last quarter. Got a clearance or two. Nothing outstanding about him. Good size now. Handy depth.

17. Brodie Kemp - I have to be careful here, because I am not a supporter that gets stuck into players, but I have to call it how I saw it. Had a stinker. Everything he touched, particularly in the first half, resulted in a score to Geelong. Is way too undersized for a KPD. Unusually looked low on confidence (for our first practice game of the year). Not sure what lies ahead for Brodie.

20. Elijah Hollands - Really liked what I saw. Good size. Powerful. Good runner. Got a bit of the ball. Will be in our team straight after the bye.

28. David Cuningham - really disappointed. Doesn't do enough. Can't find the ball. Was played on ball. Underwhelming. Won't be in our round 0 team on that performance.

30. Charlie Curnow - was running around like a chook with his head cut off. Played on Kaleidescope who outbodied/outmarked him numerous times. Tried to kick the life out of the ball the few times he did get it. He'll get better.

33. Lewis Young - I didn't mind his game. Was aggressive. Read the play well. Intercepted. The issue with Young is all above the shoulders. He does not have the ability to make a quick, decisive decision with ball in hand. Almost freezes when he gets it. The best thing for all and sundry would be for him to dish off to team-mates asap. Will be our FB unless big Durds shows a lot against Melbourne.

37. Jordan Boyd - was very good. Got a lot of it. Solid. Great kicking skills. Can play that lock down role. Should play round 1.

43. Ashton Moir - tall but light build. Was easily pushed off the ball several times. Not strong enough in the marking contest at this stage so would need separation. Played as the second tall when Charlie or Harry weren't there, which was a big ask. Obviously has beautiful kicking skills.

46. Matthew Cottrell - looks a good AFL player now. Knows his role and plays it well. Will play round 1

OVERALL
Disappointing day due to our skills (or lack thereof) and our lack of structure.

Backline - The Weitering & Marchbank injuries/illness obviously exposed us for height down back. A bit of a worry knowing the height Brisbane, Richmond and North have up forward. Flow on affect with Young, Kemp & McGovern having to step up. We are fine for small defenders with Williams due back and Cincotta in the mix. Ideal would be Williams and Marchbank in for Cowan and Kemp.

Mids - will get stronger and stronger. Add Walsh, Kennedy and Elijah Hollands over the first 3 games and we are looking good.

Rucks - I still think we are better with two rucks. Hoping Big Pitt is available by Round 0 to face Big O. TDK still a bit of a highlights package. Needs support. Harry played as a pure ruck for about 20% of each quarter. Must admit, I hated it. Had my heart in my mouth every time he jumped up to contest a ruck contest. O'Keefe's development in the 2's is nice to hear.

Forwards - So many issues identified today. No Martin or JSOS left us with Harry and Charlie and the 18 year old Moir as our third marking forward. TDK didn't rest forward so when he came off for a break, Harry went in the ruck, leaving Charlie and Moir as our only marking options. So, of course Geelong knew where the ball was going EVERY time. That's why Pitto is so important, as it would allow TDK to rest forward and give the opposition a 3rd marking forward to worry about. I'd love to say Moir can play that role, but he is just too slight and easily moved off the ball. Could still happen, but unlikely. Orazio and Motlop are locks for me. Cuningham and Fog a big fat no, as they don't kick goals and go missing for too long. I'd love little Durds or Owies to be available, with Cotts/Cripps/Doc/Kennedy rolling through.

Thanks for that comprehensive report.

Sounds like we were largely unimpressive as a team but there were some solid individual performances.

No injuries and quite a few have had a run around in warm conditions. Good prep for Friday week.

Have to admit I'm scarred by what Lewis offered up last year so don't have much faith in him to perform against Brisbane.

Intrigued as to what our tall back set up will be for this match.

All I know is that our best will get the job done.

OVERALL

Loving the Drake after this great report 👍🏼

Number of items to consider, conditions aside

• Both sides were poor by foot, moreso us
  • They were close to full strength
  • They had a larger squad in those 4 quarters
  • Our time lines to the first game are different, so different strategies
Demon's game will give us a better understanding, although it won't be at full intensity and we will still manage workloads given the likely conditions

Long season, so not concerned at all with anything I saw in that outing

disgraceful you've been put in a goggle box like that........
Do not remind me that that show still exists
I'm with ya. I thought big H was really good in his stints in the ruck, especially his 2nd and 3rd efforts a la JSOS.

If he can add that string to his bow this year, it gives us more flexibility both at the selection table and up forward....although I still feel that Vossy prefers the 2 genuine ruck combo of TDK and Pitto when they're both fit - especially as TDK can also go forward as a 3rd marking option to stretch the oppo defence.

Martin is the real wildcard though as he can play both tall and small, so you can then rotate 3 genuine smalls through the forward half. We saw that the other day when TDK went off for a spell, H into the ruck, and Moir came on to fill the Martin role.
Hopefully we haven't ruled out swinging Kemp to the other end in the VFL if Marchbank is fit, just looks bereft of confidence and enjoyment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back