Preview Carlton v Geelong match simulation - Thursday 22nd Feb 11.30am @ Ikon Park - Squad post #21 🏈

Remove this Banner Ad

"Goggle poster"???

Laddie when you've been on my road and witnessed first hand the generational premierships you can place a label, until then either keep your credentials to yourself or lay them out boyo.

Goggle poster, really?

It's a practice match, boundary sims et al your take was about a weak defence, and by the way there are contractual obligations that every club has to play this tripe. Maybe ask Cam Guthrie was the 5 second one kick praccy really worth it........

Goggle poster.......

That's insulting pal

Then what happened in the middle of last season? I am continually mesmerised by the naysayers take on a SIMULATION game!! Letting the Cats charge through our defence, how about an instruction that clearly states "THIS IS NOT A REAL GAME DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET INJURED!!"

All this winning mentality stuff in preseason fluff, WTF!!!!!

Thy what is going on here????
After last season, I will not be taking any notice of how we are playing until after the bye…

"Goggle poster"???

Laddie when you've been on my road and witnessed first hand the generational premierships you can place a label, until then either keep your credentials to yourself or lay them out boyo.

Goggle poster, really?

It's a practice match, boundary sims et al your take was about a weak defence, and by the way there are contractual obligations that every club has to play this tripe. Maybe ask Cam Guthrie was the 5 second one kick praccy really worth it........

Goggle poster.......

That's insulting pal
disgraceful you've been put in a goggle box like that........

Funny how every second Carlton poster says the game is a waste of space after the loss. Then funny how the Geelong board cite development, transition, & player selection. Would be no different if result was reversed. Geelong posters would en masse post that it was a waste of time and Carlton would cite development and progress and selection.

Goggle posters.

Funny how every second Carlton poster says the game is a waste of space after the loss. Then funny how the Geelong board cite development, transition, & player selection. Would be no different if result was reversed. Geelong posters would en masse post that it was a waste of time and Carlton would cite development and progress and selection.

Goggle posters.
Geelong pretty much had everyone playing bar Rohan - a lot easier to make comments about selection, development, transition etc when you have your full suite of players playing in the same game.

We beat Hawthorn comfortably in pre season 2018. We won 2 games for the year, they made top 4. Pre season games are rarely an indication of how the season goes.

I guarantee you Melbourne, GWS, Collingwood etc. arent too worried about losing games this week

Not about winning/losing. There are other takeaways that are important. For example...the game cemented Boyd as a first choice player or very close to it give Z Williams is to be added.

So value in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not about winning/losing. There are other takeaways that are important. For example...the game cemented Boyd as a first choice player or very close to it give Z Williams is to be added.

So value in the game.
I’m not saying there’s no value in it. The reason you just gave for it being valuable is probably the only one.

It’s hard to implement game plans and see how they work when players are only going at 75-80% of their full capacity. Especially our game, which is built largely on pressure, and it’s hard to see that when the contest is voided of intensity.

Just my take

Geelong pretty much had everyone playing bar Rohan - a lot easier to make comments about selection, development, transition etc when you have your full suite of players playing in the same game.

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

I’m not saying there’s no value in it. The reason you just gave for it being valuable is probably the only one.

It’s hard to implement game plans and see how they work when players are only going at 75-80% of their full capacity. Especially our game, which is built largely on pressure, and it’s hard to see that when the contest is voided of intensity.

Just my take

Well, I saw something else too. Harry was competitive in the ruck and has replaced JSoS to some extent if we want to go with one ruck. That was a useful insight.

He was physical and made his presence felt in the ruck. Gone is the drivel about leaving Mckay in the forward 50. If required Carlton WILL use him in the ruck.

The pre-season hitouts aren't about winning or losing or individual player form.

They are more about 'how we play/transition the ball'. Have we shown improvement efficiency on how we get goals.

From what I saw there is marginal improvement at best. Will wait for the next game to see if there is any special improvement. I feel the improvement we have got is more about us trading for a few better players around the half fwd line more than system. I feel there is no effective system; only good or bad players right now trying hard or not hard. Example, E Hollands hand offs are better than Owies scrub kicks inside 50 right now which explains some of the incremental improvement.

The above bit is funny too as I expect inside the club they are spending hours and hours on transition/system/craft which then on gameday plays out as a bunch of good players winning/losing with zero transition system. Everything they must be doing is coming up empty on gameday visibility as it looks completely unplanned/unsystematic.

As someone else has pointed out, there is at least one change in our 'supposed system'. That is, we push up hard to lock the ball in our half. Even though this fell apart as the Cats overlapped wrecked us with more players in our defensive 50 which was hilarious; I expect Hanson is expecting this to be much better with 4/5 more best 22 players available and the missing ingredient from the Cats game which was the implied pressure to run back when 4 real points are on the line. I hope so.

Didn't anyone else wonder while watching what the half backs/defenders were thinking/doing when Geelong broke out of our fwd 50 and starts running downfield. When we saw this play out not one of our defenders were near anyone as the Cat players ran straight through us. All that marshalling/downfield view resulted in effectively nothing. In terms of further comparison...I felt 90% of time Geelong have a player marking our forwards 1 on 1 if not 2 v 1. Correspondingly, i felt Geelong's fwds were mostly unmarked in an overlap play 50%+ of the time.

Still...we have got a very good list and some really determined/physical/talented players. We are going to do well with no system of note.
I think you have placed far too much value on your observations from a practice match.

Others here have pointed that these games give little insight into the season proper yet here you are dissecting the performance and building a case for how little improvement both collectively and individually the team has seen over the course of last year and the preseason.

By all means feel free to express your thoughts and feelings but it seems to me that you are over emphasising the importance of the game yesterday!!

I think you have placed far too much value on your observations from a practice match.

Others here have pointed that these games give little insight into the season proper yet here you are dissecting the performance and building a case for how little improvement both collectively and individually the team has seen over the course of last year and the preseason.

By all means feel free to express your thoughts and feelings but it seems to me that you are over emphasising the importance of the game yesterday!!

Looks like i'm up against it convincing anyone lol. I'll raise the white flag.

you cherry pick any positives out of these games and work on the stuff that needs it - bolton's "neither too high nor too low" comes to mind

Last edited:
Writing off any value of the match SIM does beg the question why we bother reading any of the training reports. Or those people like Blue Abroad who even go to the training sessions and create feedback videos.

Surely a non contact training sessions offers way less of anything than a game vs the Cats where you can get hurt/pressurised.

I still think people write off practice matches because we lost. No one writes off a training session report.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back