Caroline Wilson wins journalism's most prestigious award

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Caro. Thoroughly deserved in my opinion. While she dished it out to Essendon when it was warranted she was just as quick to slam the other side of the issue when that was required. She kept it as open and honest as ethically possible. What sealed it for me, however, as to her quality as a journalist only came this past week. When Tim Watson was speaking of the names of the Essendon players who had been leaked by the media he commended The Age (therefore commending Caro) for having the same information for many months but having the ethics not to release the list. She slammed Essendon enough to the point where it would have been extremely easy to expose that list but she did not. That's commendable.

Good get but it was hardly a Cox Plate field to choose from ...

Caro gets it wrong from time to time and can make mountains from molehills but on the whole she does a pretty good job I reckon and will break stories, ask the hard questions and stick to her convictions.

Put it this way - If I see an article written by Caro I will usually click on it. Can't say i do the same with the constant fluff Robbo, Ralphy, Timmsy, Stevo and the other knobheads at the Herald-Sun dish up.

LOL!
Pretty much everything she writes has an angle or agenda to it. She is incapable of just calling it how it is without sensationalising a story.

Yeah, she should be immune from criticism because she's female. :rolleyes:

She shouldn't be immune from criticism but some of the stuff dished out to her is just revolting and yes misogynistic. If you can't see that you are not looking hard enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

leaving the ASADA/EFC thing to one side, i think i half raised an eyebrow at this then moved on.

JOTY?
Polarising, yes. Stuck to her line, yes. Intimidated, no.
But really, what did she really do. Wrote an article a week focused on who from club X, Y or Z needed to stand down.

Hardly ground breaking or important. Its just a game.
In a year that saw the Catholic Church investigated for abuse and a massive federal election (plus a number of state elections) almost obliterating one of the major political parties, to win journo of the year writing about a game lacks a bit perspective.
Leigh Sales very stiff here. Would even say Tony Jones deserved a nod. He was prolific last year with qanda.
Paul Kelly, Niki Savva and Judith Sloan (and i do enjoy Janet Albrehtsen) at the Australian were probably my standouts for the year in print media.

If you compare Caro, the Age's No.1 football writer with Robbo, The Herald Sun's self proclaimed "No.1" footballer writer, they are mega-poles apart.

Well done Caro

Well deserved to Caro, a tough business fir a woman & she out does em every time.

Top notch reporting last year.
why do you think that?
I think Sam Lane does a really good job and I save most of what Emma Quayle writes on the draft for my SC/DT teams.
And if it wasnt for the fact that i know Quayle as the authority on the draft and Sam from Before the Game, i doubt i'd even notice if what im reading was done by a man or woman (except when it sounds like its written by a 4 year old and i know its Barrett writing it).

She's a very, very strong character who stands by her opinions and beliefs, something many (especially ex players) are unwilling to do. Refer to Matthew Lloyd of late... No point having him comment on Essendon. Waste of space. He couldn't even confidently convey camp Hird's latest feed today. Looked like he was going to hurl he was that uncomfortable. No opinion, no point.

She pisses all over the 'boys club', which had to be done. She's a threat to the old culture that men controlled in the VFL / AFL for years - Favouritism for your mates, don't talk, deny everything, brush wrongs under the carpet, etc. She pushes boundaries and demands respect. Well deserved.
Agree, Patrick Smith is the only other one who compare IMO.

Great stuff - don't always agree with her but she comes across as a journalist with values and who puts a bit of thought and research into her articles - much better than a lot of her 'colleagues' out there and the sensationalist crap they serve up.

Cops a lot of crap from people out there as well - whether you agree or disagree with her views, no one should be subjected to some of the filth say or write about her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back