Caroline Wilson wins journalism's most prestigious award

Remove this Banner Ad

She backed the wrong horse on the Gold Coast thing which was poor journalism, she didn't explore all angles.
Doesn't the fact that she backed it say something in itself? Think there's a legitimate criticism to be made (as with the Hird story in the last 72 hours) about the way it's never clear where her reporting ends and her opinion starts.

Doesn't the fact that she backed it say something in itself? Think there's a legitimate criticism to be made (as with the Hird story in the last 72 hours) about the way it's never clear where her reporting ends and her opinion starts.

In the Essendon thing she's fairly clearly delineated between news and opinion.

She didn't in the North to GC thing.

Seriously as much as I'd like to say otherwise, nothing beats her work on Brayshaw and North. Read some of it. It's staggering.

My personal favourite was Jack Ziebell being added to a Facebook group without his knowledge that proved a culture of entrenched sexism at North.

In the Essendon thing she's fairly clearly delineated between news and opinion.

She didn't in the North to GC thing.

I'm happy for her to go hell for leather re opinion.

On the news side, I think she should report all angles and sides. She makes no effort to whatsoever. It's all PR from one party.

She's won an award from the Melbourne Press Club. I mean seriously. It's got to be up there with bigfooty poster of the year. Few hand out awards to themselves as well as the media.

Let me know when she wins and award for actually making a meaningful contribution to something.

Do the public give her grief because she's a woman (allegedly) of course they do. But does that impact her ability to work with AFL clubs, players and the AFL? I doubt it. Every club has numerous female employees these days with some in the fitness department and footy department. The AFL has female employees. Players have had bad attitudes to women but have been courteous to women in football for years. What about the all powerful men she works with like Greg Baum, Martin Flanagan or Rohan Connolly. They don't exactly come with reputations like the men that women surgeons and lawyers broke the glass ceiling with.

She reports leaks and innuendo and then puts her own, often staggering opinion on top of it.

The fact the Age drafted in their Investigative unit to take the lead on the Essendon investigation tells me they weren't confident Caro could crack the case so to speak. And I'm yet to see any conclusive proof about most of the peptides in question. Award winning journalism in this case would be finding the smoking gun that details exactly what substances were given. Or getting a c onclusive tell all from someone in the inner sanctum of Essendon.

She's won an award from the Melbourne Press Club. I mean seriously. It's got to be up there with bigfooty poster of the year. Few hand out awards to themselves as well as the media.

Let me know when she wins and award for actually making a meaningful contribution to something.

Do the public give her grief because she's a woman (allegedly) of course they do. But does that impact her ability to work with AFL clubs, players and the AFL? I doubt it. Every club has numerous female employees these days with some in the fitness department and footy department. The AFL has female employees. Players have had bad attitudes to women but have been courteous to women in football for years. What about the all powerful men she works with like Greg Baum, Martin Flanagan or Rohan Connolly. They don't exactly come with reputations like the men that women surgeons and lawyers broke the glass ceiling with.

She reports leaks and innuendo and then puts her own, often staggering opinion on top of it.

The fact the Age drafted in their Investigative unit to take the lead on the Essendon investigation tells me they weren't confident Caro could crack the case so to speak. And I'm yet to see any conclusive proof about most of the peptides in question. Award winning journalism in this case would be finding the smoking gun that details exactly what substances were given. Or getting a c onclusive tell all from someone in the inner sanctum of Essendon.

It's a good point really. Did she really win it for this issue alone??

She didn't break the story, she didn't even know until Barrett told everyone. She didn't get any impressive tell alls. She never spoke to anybody from Essendon, who were at the centre of the whole thing. The heavy investigative stuff was done by Baker / Mackenzie.

But hey, she's gone from single most despised footy media figure to the most popular in a year, she must have done something right. I wonder what that could be.

She didn't break the story, she didn't even know until Barrett told everyone. She didn't get any impressive tell alls. She never spoke to anybody from Essendon, who were at the centre of the whole thing. The heavy investigative stuff was done by Baker / Mackenzie.
Don't think any of that is actually true mate. The Age and footy media more broadly were across it prior to Barrett's reporting, they were just afraid of legal ramifications.

Don't think any of that is actually true mate. The Age and footy media more broadly were across it prior to Barrett's reporting, they were just afraid of legal ramifications.

Yet they didn't report it?

What was Barrett able to do that they weren't?

The only thing I remember Caro for there is berating Barrett on Footy Classified for making "poor journalistic decisions" about not reporting it sooner.

Whatever reason you want to give I think most of the above is true.

The majority of what she's done on the Essendon scandal is provide a voice for leaks and opinion pieces.

Just think can you remember when Caro wrote that amazing piece on..... And no I can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet they didn't report it?

What was Barrett able to do that they weren't?
Risk the legal consequences?

Whatever reason you want to give I think most of the above is true.

The majority of what she's done on the Essendon scandal is provide a voice for leaks and opinion pieces.
Think you've just described most good journalism mate - almost by definition it's accessing information that isn't readily available. As I said I don't like the way opinion blends with reporting in Caro's work, but the idea she doesn't do leg work or have access to some excellent sources is clearly nonsense.

Seriously who votes on these things ?

Damian "so what your saying is" Barrett won one too according to Hutchy.

Let the public vote, not the barking dogs media folk who are impressed by their supposed fame.

And please end their over exposed TV careers channel 9.

Footy classified has become unwatchable and the footy show is sort of fun till Damo comes out with his "unimportant drama" of the week.

I'm happy for her to go hell for leather re opinion.

On the news side, I think she should report all angles and sides. She makes no effort to whatsoever. It's all PR from one party.

Yeah, that's a fair enough comment. But then, the other argument is that pretty much all other media outlets - to varying degrees - are Essendon/Hird "friendly".

Seriously who votes on these things ?

Damian "so what your saying is" Barrett won one too according to Hutchy.

Let the public vote, not the barking dogs media folk who are impressed by their supposed fame.

And please end their over exposed TV careers channel 9.

Footy classified has become unwatchable and the footy show is sort of fun till Damo comes out with his "unimportant drama" of the week.

The public do get to vote on media awards.

They are called the Logies.

Once upon a time, actual journalists like Jana Wendt and George Negus used to win them.

Now, public opinion has spoken.

Risk the legal consequences?

Barrett went and found somebody intimately involved with the program at Essendon and got him to talk about it reasonably in depth on camera. He would have known more but it was a good way to break the story, and good on him.

Caro has "sources" because she agrees to present their side of the story - what they want broadcast - and not the other. She's a PR conduit. She's was Vlads press assistant for much of 2013.

She is usually bang on the mark, well researched and not the usual half informed Victorian journalist we are used to reading here in SA when they comment on SA football. When it comes to Port I haven't been able to fault her. I like her based on what I read but I also think she secretly likes Port Adelaide which helps.

When she isnt writing about Port, I think she can be a bit sensationalist, but that's common practise across every journalist in Australia these days.

Congratulations on the award to her. I notice not too many Murdoch press journalists with awards being mentioned and that doesnt surprise me one bit.

Excellent journalist. Calls it as she sees it rather than some of the lesser backslapper journos that ultimately just want to be one of the boys.
LOL!
Pretty much everything she writes has an angle or agenda to it. She is incapable of just calling it how it is without sensationalising a story.
In before the inevitable misogyny.
Yeah, she should be immune from criticism because she's female. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back