Review Cats defeat Crows by 19 at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Think Dempsey's influence was underrated because he didn't hit the scoreboard. His two-way running and the number of times he was influential in chains that gave us scoring looks were impressive. Reckon he'll be a gun mid as his career unfolds.
14 score involvements from Dempsey's 2 games this year - including one on the road - is a fantastic return for a sub-10 game player.

9 score involvements for Mannagh from his first 5 and a bit quarters at AFL level is also notable. About his "hungry" shots it only matters if he has a team mate clearly free in front of him. Players who put their hands out after a missed shot often overestimate exactly how free they appeared to the team mate who had a shot at goal. I think the onus has been put on him to be "the finisher" if he's free and running in at goals around 40m out. Ultimately he'll get the balance right.

14 score involvements from Dempsey's 2 games this year - including one on the road - is a fantastic return for a sub-10 game player.

9 score involvements for Mannagh from his first 5 and a bit quarters at AFL level is also notable. About his "hungry" shots it only matters if he has a team mate clearly free in front of him. Players who put their hands out after a missed shot often overestimate exactly how free they appeared to the team mate who had a shot at goal. I think the onus has been put on him to be "the finisher" if he's free and running in at goals around 40m out. Ultimately he'll get the balance right.

I was a bit disappointed to see the ‘arms out’. He’s a small forward 40 meters out running towards goal, he should always take the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That would be the case. But I don't think it's the complete answer as it works now. I seem to recall some of the Melbourne Victory rabble who were central to the ground invasion against Melbourne City changed their appearance sufficiently to allow them to continue going to games. It was only after they caused more trouble they were identified.
Too true.

I think Mannagh being hungry is a bit overstated. The one in the 3rd he's on the run from 40m with a bit of an angle but had time to settle. Then in the last he works himself into space for a snap. They're not like the pedlar shot from 60m when he has Tex in space. Definitely look to see if there was a better option and make sure he's playing team first footy but they certainly weren't hanging offences.

He did seem a bit rushed early. I reckon he reacted to being caught a few times against the Saints by getting the ball on the boot a bit too quickly. 10 more games and he should've found that balance.

I have no problem with him being on the list, and I think he will be an excellent player in a year or two when he knows the game better. Skills and attributes looks great, its just general game awareness he's struggling with (which is to be expected given his lack of experience). Second guesses a lot of the time and plays with a lack of confidence.
I also thought Mullin was going to he a line breaker however in an interview with 2E, 2E said that he was a lock down player in Ireland. 2E said he got burned by teammates a couple of times when he was overlapping. Saturday morning on SEN

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

I must be one of the only ones that like Kane Cornes. I always find him interesting when he chats on sen. If you look at the point he makes rather than nick picking some of the data he makes more sense. Perfect example would be his comments on Taranto last year - he made a good point but some people focused on the hyperbole

We should easily beat the hawks they don’t look like much this year again
Put that lid firmly back on! Kane Cornes has already jinxed us! :p

Geelong is sixth on the ladder + Poos+Wees are 16th, no wins yet.
Positions two to seven are all on eight points + only % seperates them.

While Easter Monday game is a chance to rest some older players, this is the big game between nemisises. The best thing about that is the opportunity for our Kittens to experience such an epic blockbuster game + traditional bitter rivalry, which will add to their development.

Also, wrap Hawkins + Dangerfield in cotton wool this week. Hawkins has to play his 350th game + win, playing the Hawks, + Danger must be there. Remember Tommy's kick right on the siren in 2012?

1711228518215.png

Stewart provided a masterclass in Defence with 28 Disposals, 20 Kicks, 11 Marks + finished with an equal AFL record of 10 intercept marks.

We've discussed the best performers.

One point is: the comments regarding Clark being too small. Really cannot bear the thought he'll be whipping boy, as Zuthrie was for years. Zuthrie has developed so well. Give Clark a break! He had an interrupted beginning to his career with a navicular stress fracture. His debut in Round 9 2023 against Richmond - four kicks, two handballs + five tackles from his 25% time on ground. Many of us went through the heart ache of Matthew Egan's navicular stress fracture.

Just like Zuthrie, Clark needs time to develop. As many have said, he throws himself into packs + bounces back up. Remember he's only played three games at AFL level.

Article: The history behind the modern rivalry between Hawthorn + Geelong
https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/...-modern-rivalry-between-hawthorn-and-geelong/

That kick from Dangerfield from the wing to setup Hawk on the goal-line half way through the third - that was absolutely elite. That's a 75m drop punt off a few steps, casting it over all the defenders to Hawkins. I didn't get to watch the game but I'm guessing that didn't get the kudos it probably deserved.

Also Tom Stewart... Ten intercepts. That's crazy stuff. What a champion he is.
Might have been going for goals. He definitely took a shot from even further out during the game. Definitely a fine line between inspiring and hungry

My thoughts exactly. Especially in today’s footy where “midfield bulls” reign.
Needs to build a tank so that he can run opponents ragged a la Lachie Neale maybe tone down the bash and crash a bit.
Bruhn doesn’t look that big either..Atkins not huge.
Smallish mid groups could be prone to getting swept aside by by some of bigger cohorts on occasions..
Blicavs and Danger are the bigger mids of the group.

I’ve always wondered how they enforce a lifetime ban. Do they slap some kind of restraining order on them or something? Could imagine someone sneaking in if they wanted too? Not like there’d be wanted pictures at every gate.
Face recognition on security cameras? But a wig, false beard + sunnies might confuse the camera? 🤷🏻‍♀️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A gutsy win, the pressure was great early. Geez Stewart is so good, it’s absurd how much he can control a game. I’m not even sure the commentators notice some of the stuff he does. We know about his intercept marking but he’s so strong, quick & balanced he can break or take a tackle and deliver to a teammate. And he spoils like the all time greats (which he now belongs with I think), like Doull & Enright - hits it to where he wants it to go, sometimes into the path of a teammate. Such a pity he didn’t hang on to that screamer!

I was watching Parfitt pretty closely, I wasn’t as impressed as some. He didn’t contribute much in the first half, got involved a bit more late, he’s always tackling, but still had a bit of that indecision with the ball, some of his 20 were kicks off the ground and a couple of rushed kicks. I dunno, I thought he’d go a little better given a full game with our outs, and he’s probably playing for his career. If he had a bit more zip & could get up and down the ground a bit quicker I’d be more forgiving. While forward and back we are very strong, the midfield is where we probably don’t quite stack up against the best outfits at the moment so I’m looking at it from that perspective.

I liked Mannagh’s competitiveness, & I like the look of Clark too. I think there’s a good future there with he & Bruhn in particular.
My favourite Stewart play was when he saw Rankine crumb the ball and start towards goal - and absolutely nailing him.

Crows 18 frees to Cats 9 frees.

Im not complaining about their 18 + 2x 50s… they pretty much seemed fair enough.

But I do not think we were given anywhere near the same treatment though.

I rarely mention umps but I thought it was obvious tonight that they were letting them slide much more than us with a few things.

It was just another obstacle we had to overcome.

Huge effort.

Adelaide are going nowhere imo.
We won the free kick count last weekend at home - and there were definitely some iffy ones that didn’t get called that the Saints should have gotten.

Hopefully a lifetime ban to all AFL/Stadium venues ..could had easily done some damage to the players and everyone was just lucky that was a phone in the hands of that dickhead
Cameron cracks me up

1711234133172.png

Miers consistency over the last 22 months or so is ******* unreal.

I would have him as our second or 3rd best player in that time period the other 2 being Stewart and Cameron.
Looking at his stats over the past year and I don't see consistency. Plenty of games where he only get 10-15 touches and plenty of games where he got over 26 touches. That's large variation for a player and thus inconsistency.

But what he has become is an awfully good player. Early signs are that he has improved further this season. He is now playing at an all Australian level.

Brandon Parfitt has been fined $3,750 ($2,500 with an early plea) for tripping, but the match review panel didn't notice when Mark O'connor and Jhye Clark were tripped. hhttps://www.afl.com.au/news/1092121/match-review-geelong-cats-mid-brandan-parfitt-slapped-with-fine-for-tripping-adelaide-crows-jordan-dawson
Sums up the umpiring, doesn't it?

Looking at his stats over the past year and I don't see consistency. Plenty of games where he only get 10-15 touches and plenty of games where he got over 26 touches. That's large variation for a player and thus inconsistency.

But what he has become is an awfully good player. Early signs are that he has improved further this season. He is now playing at an all Australian level.
If you look at those numbers maybe. But it is not only the numbers is it?

Regardless not every consistent player bobs up with 25+ every week.

Put that lid firmly back on! Kane Cornes has already jinxed us! :p

Geelong is sixth on the ladder + Poos+Wees are 16th, no wins yet.
Positions two to seven are all on eight points + only % seperates them.

While Easter Monday game is a chance to rest some older players, this is the big game between nemisises. The best thing about that is the opportunity for our Kittens to experience such an epic blockbuster game + traditional bitter rivalry, which will add to their development.

Also, wrap Hawkins + Dangerfield in cotton wool this week. Hawkins has to play his 350th game + win, playing the Hawks, + Danger must be there. Remember Tommy's kick right on the siren in 2012?

View attachment 1937710

Stewart provided a masterclass in Defence with 28 Disposals, 20 Kicks, 11 Marks + finished with an equal AFL record of 10 intercept marks.

We've discussed the best performers.

One point is: the comments regarding Clark being too small. Really cannot bear the thought he'll be whipping boy, as Zuthrie was for years. Zuthrie has developed so well. Give Clark a break! He had an interrupted beginning to his career with a navicular stress fracture. His debut in Round 9 2023 against Richmond - four kicks, two handballs + five tackles from his 25% time on ground. Many of us went through the heart ache of Matthew Egan's navicular stress fracture.

Just like Zuthrie, Clark needs time to develop. As many have said, he throws himself into packs + bounces back up. Remember he's only played three games at AFL level.

Article: The history behind the modern rivalry between Hawthorn + Geelong
https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/...-modern-rivalry-between-hawthorn-and-geelong/

I remember that game.

It was weird for 2 reasons. One it was the best afl game i saw stephenson play..some of his ruckwork in the first half to chapman bartel etc was sublime. We were over 7 goals up but then after half time he tired and hawthorn ran over us, i thought we were cooked until the final minute when selwood went through the middle and found hawk. I was sitting directly behind him when he kicked on the siren and i knew it wasnt missing.

Back to easter monday i doubt they will rest hawk (then he would have his 350th in adel so they will rest him next week not this week). Danger looks like he will be out injured but hawkins other great mate duncan should be back.

Blicavs and Danger are the bigger mids of the group.

For now they are but those 2 have 2-3 years left at best.
In the future the midfield group will be atkins (in his 30s by then) bruhn clark holmes as your starters plus im sure guys like dempsey and mannagh will roll through the wings.
A talented group but none are big, we probably need one or two big mids to balance it out.
This is why it would be great if stevens comes on (he is exactly that) or if knevitt grows more strength in his body to be an option there.
Probably also worth trying bowes in the midfield for spurts to see if he can give us a bigger bodied option.
Otherwise we might need to FA in an option in 2026.
We will also need a decent 2nd ruck (blicavs utility value means it will take multiple players to replace him) unless someone like neale or osullivan or edwards shows promise in that role.

Stop looking at stats and look at other parts of the game... Stats are not the only thing that matter in AFL

Touches are not the be all end all of everything

We won the free kick count last weekend at home - and there were definitely some iffy ones that didn’t get called that the Saints should have gotten.
We didn’t, it was 18-14 in the saints favour. Saints tend to get a good run with the umps, must be the way they play.
Umpiring doesn’t bother me, but they need to pay htb when it is there and they missed a few Friday night, the Clark trip was also a howler, if that was in the goal square and we were 5 points down at the end of the game, people wouldn’t shut up about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back